Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't want to pay this stupid library fine! Watch

I had fines last year whilst @ uni, and I had them wiped! Refused to pay them because I had no email notification of when they were due back. Fine was about £15. Friend of a friend had a £50 fine, again she argued it and it was wiped!

But in all seriousness, if they are that bothered about a tiny lil bit of wet on the book, just say you'll buy the book. OR argue it. I had plenty of books last year, that had been wet, left to dry and handed back in. It's not biggy, so long as the text is still visible, I honestly can't see the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    So I got a book on Thursday that was due for return on Friday. However, i didn't bring it back till Monday cause I was still working on my essay... Anyway that is besides the point. Today my bag was a little big wet because I had spilt water inside it and this must have dampened the book a tiny bit, so a few of the pages were wet like the just the side of them. If I had enough time I would have dried them myself and they would have been fine but I had to hurry to hand in an essay cause the deadline was near so just took the book back aswell. So she says I will probably have to pay for another book! Even though it is hardly damaged. Seriously it is a tiny bit of water, that once dried in, the book would have been fine! When I recieved the book it had loads of highlighted bits and underlined text with ink! This is obviously permenant damage yet I bet they weren't charged!

Anyway, I just want to know if anyone can help me avoid having to pay for a new book! :/
    Should have got the hairdryer on it then. Dry it off and then return it to a different librarian or through the self-return system if you have one of those.

I ripped the cover off a book earlier this year, sellotaped it back on and no-one called me out on it yet.

ReputationRep:
    you could've renewed the book on friday

ReputationRep:
    She said she'd taken my details so they can decide whats happening with it. I've emailed them now though & the person in charge of short loan is going to get back to me because the emaill has been forwarded to her.

blergh

You do realize there is a £2.50 fee added on each day until the book is returned? your fine may now be in the region of £50 plus for a £7 book.:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FBPS)
    you could've renewed the book on friday
    I wasn't at uni on friday.

ReputationRep:
    If you damage a book/don't return it on time a library will fine you. It's their property, not yours.

Just buy the new book and stop dragging your heels over it - is £7.50 really that much of an issue? Look at the bigger picture - they might stop you progressing onto next year or ban you from the library so you won't be able to look at books you need for essays.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't at uni on friday.
    couldn't you phone in or something?

ReputationRep:
    I argue my way out of fines.

Do that if you really don't want to pay for it. Or just pay for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.