Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, last year, around November time I sat my English reading controlled assessment; to be specific, Our Day Out. When making notes (the notes you're allowed to take in to the controlled assessment), I wrote a draft of my first paragraph or two (on my notes sheet along with my other notes) and used these paragraphs in my work... I didn't draft the whole thing. Do you think this will be considered as cheating by AQA, if so what do you think the penalty will be? Or would this have already been submitted for moderation and ok? The teacher didn't tell me I couldn't do this so I just went ahead and did it... It's just recently when my new set teacher said not to make big blocks of notes because we're only allowed to make small ones that this has started to bother me.

Help, please? Any opinions out there? Any facts?

P.S All of the work was my own, nothing was copied from other sources. Also, this was my first ever controlled assessment.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why it would be cheating. You planned your work in the way that helps you most, by using the time to write out the beginning of your work.
    Don't worry, you'll be fine. Or, just ask your teacher? I'm sure they'll know.

(Original post by TheMan100)
    Hello, last year, around November time I sat my English reading controlled assessment; to be specific, Our Day Out. When making notes (the notes you're allowed to take in to the controlled assessment), I wrote a draft of my first paragraph or two (on my notes sheet) and used these paragraphs in my work... I didn't draft the whole thing. Do you think this will be considered as cheating by AQA, if so what do you think the penalty will be? Or would this have already been submitted for moderation and ok? The teacher didn't tell me I couldn't do this so that's why I did it... It's just recently when my new set teacher said not to make big blocks of notes because we're only allowed to make small ones that this has started to bother me.

P.S All of the work was my own, nothing was copied from other sources. Also, this was my first ever controlled assessment.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for the some-what reassuring reply.
    Has anyone else got any comments?

A good thing to do, use one of those pens which you can rub out.
    Write out a whole draft before the exam, copy it all down in the exam hall. Then rub it all out, then write in key words.
    Never had the guts to do it though :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMan100)
    Hello, last year, around November time I sat my English reading controlled assessment; to be specific, Our Day Out. When making notes (the notes you're allowed to take in to the controlled assessment), I wrote a draft of my first paragraph or two (on my notes sheet) and used these paragraphs in my work... I didn't draft the whole thing. Do you think this will be considered as cheating by AQA, if so what do you think the penalty will be? Or would this have already been submitted for moderation and ok? The teacher didn't tell me I couldn't do this so I just went ahead and did it... It's just recently when my new set teacher said not to make big blocks of notes because we're only allowed to make small ones that this has started to bother me.

Should be fine. Whats the difference between ten small blocks of notes and one big condensed one with the same information in it... Either way you weren't informed of any wrongdoing before taking the test. I wouldn't be worried personally...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'd never cheat... it's just not right lol
    I see what you mean Electrolysis, I'm not exactly in the wrong... I wasn't informed of any rule other than don't talk or interact with anyone else, it was the first controlled assessment I'd ever sat and the notes had bullet points and the draft of my first couple of paragraphs, but surely that should be okay?

I just get worried easily, but hopefully everything will be okay.

ReputationRep:
    Eatin' ain't Cheatin'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycake93)
    Eatin' ain't Cheatin'
    If only I understood that... XD

ReputationRep:
    Are there any more people that want to comment??

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it. I've done it before, saves time. I wouldn't worry, many do it....no one corrects us.

ReputationRep:
    How would they find out now? If anyone was suspicious, they would have took the notes off you and checked them. I think you'll be fine, don't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by linkdapink)
    How would they find out now? If anyone was suspicious, they would have took the notes off you and checked them. I think you'll be fine, don't worry
    Exactly lol. I think I'm just a worry bag and worry much more than 'normal' people, but thanks for the reassurance.

ReputationRep:
    This is just a slight grey-area in regards to cheating. What I'd personally call cheating is plagiarism in coursework and copying someone's answers in an exam. Although, only a dumb sh*t would only do that as it would be too conspicuous and would most likely get an U and possibly get kicked off their entire exam board, resulting in failing other subjects. Don't worry about it, tons of people have done worse and got away with it so no reason why there is any problems.

Also, they should give a little lee-way anyway as you are the first to do English controlled assessment like the Anthology poems being allowed to contain notes and annotations during the first year of 2004.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.