The Student Room Group

Getting into med school!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
and another question - what AS should I take????? :redface:
Reply 21
and a third statement...could just apply to biomed this year then try grad med?
Reply 22
Why are they forcing you to drop it? They can't really do that, its your choice. Taking AS and A2 within a two year period means that you can't take longer than two years overall to complete all your subjects, AS & A2. I don't think universities tend to make offers including AS grades anyway - since unless you are retaking, you have already got your AS grade. What do you think you could realistically get if you took your maths as?

And I really wouldn't suggest grad med unless you get rejected - its soo much more competitive, so you're more likely to get in now than then. And its more expensive - hugely so for you!

EDIT: Sorry forgot something - what subject do you think you'd do best at? Thats the one to take if you really need to. Yo've got the requirements, and universities like a bit of breadth so you can do pretty much anything :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by twelve
Why are they forcing you to drop it? They can't really do that, its your choice. Taking AS and A2 within a two year period means that you can't take longer than two years overall to complete all your subjects, AS & A2. I don't think universities tend to make offers including AS grades anyway - since unless you are retaking, you have already got your AS grade. What do you think you could realistically get if you took your maths as?

And I really wouldn't suggest grad med unless you get rejected - its soo much more competitive, so you're more likely to get in now than then. And its more expensive - hugely so for you!

EDIT: Sorry forgot something - what subject do you think you'd do best at? Thats the one to take if you really need to. Yo've got the requirements, and universities like a bit of breadth so you can do pretty much anything :smile:

Yeah, I don't think I could get higher than a C if I took maths, and that's if I work hard...I think AS next year would be okay, just don't know what to choose...there's also the whole doing an AS in gujarati outside of school that would make life much easier! (I just don't know how to go about doing it!:confused: :confused: )

Yeah I figured the grad med would be a complete last resort if I don't get the grades I need this year (that would require some deathly illness/accident to stop me working and getting the A's) still going to put a biomed course as a fifth option, just in case :smile: but I'm hopeful of at least one offer next year! :colondollar:

Also, how would you recommend revising for the BMAT/UKCAT ? I need to ace these to show that I'm a good enough candidate because my GCSEs ar eso rubbish! (they meet the minimum for the uni's I want to apply to, but they are far from good!) :s-smilie:
Reply 24
Original post by Hennnaa
Yeah, I don't think I could get higher than a C if I took maths, and that's if I work hard...I think AS next year would be okay, just don't know what to choose...there's also the whole doing an AS in gujarati outside of school that would make life much easier! (I just don't know how to go about doing it!:confused: :confused: )

Yeah I figured the grad med would be a complete last resort if I don't get the grades I need this year (that would require some deathly illness/accident to stop me working and getting the A's) still going to put a biomed course as a fifth option, just in case :smile: but I'm hopeful of at least one offer next year! :colondollar:

Also, how would you recommend revising for the BMAT/UKCAT ? I need to ace these to show that I'm a good enough candidate because my GCSEs ar eso rubbish! (they meet the minimum for the uni's I want to apply to, but they are far from good!) :s-smilie:

Yeah, all you can do is try :smile: Just make sure you apply smart, because three or four rejections really doesn't feel great :/

I didn't do the BMAT - decided doing it after I apply was too much of a risk, so I only did the UKCAT. And seriously just loads of practise questions. And once you've done it, then decide where to apply - having a high or low score will make a big difference.
Reply 25
Original post by Count Stefular
Don't knock yourself, your grades are fine :smile: Just avoid unis like Birmingham because they focus more on GCSEs than anything else it would seem.

You can apply. But there's a very good chance that because of your GCSEs you will be rejected without interview by a lot of them. By the way, why would you limiy your choices like that by not taking a fourth AS? And remember that on average 2000 people apply for 350 offers per university. I suggest you try Cardiff, Queen's Belfast, aberdeen and QMUL. UCL and Imperial need good GCSE's and 4 AS levels. The only way for you to get in is to do extremely well in the UKCAT, as in an average score of 700+ out of 900. And take up an AS now and do it, aiming for a B because unis dont need an A for the fourth AS.
Reply 26
Original post by Hennnaa

OK but bear in mind that med schools only accept top 2 people in the class of biomed per university, and its even more competitive than undergraduate entry.
Reply 27
Original post by Jabbo12

Original post by Jabbo12
OK but bear in mind that med schools only accept top 2 people in the class of biomed per university, and its even more competitive than undergraduate entry.

This is true, biomed degree doesn't guarantee or even greatly enhance chances of getting in, because so many people use it as the alternative route. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it's a great degree to have and proves your science capability...but the competition for graduates is so fierce that even amazing degree students get rejected. Undergraduate is undoubtedly less competitive as there are more places (still brutally selective there too though).

Sometimes one can be best off correcting previous grades or taking extra to compensate. I'm doing an Access course in September to assist my science. Also with what I posted above I was generalising, not aiming it at anyone
Reply 28
Original post by Cityshy
This is true, biomed degree doesn't guarantee or even greatly enhance chances of getting in, because so many people use it as the alternative route. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it's a great degree to have and proves your science capability...but the competition for graduates is so fierce that even amazing degree students get rejected. Undergraduate is undoubtedly less competitive as there are more places (still brutally selective there too though).

Sometimes one can be best off correcting previous grades or taking extra to compensate. I'm doing an Access course in September to assist my science. Also with what I posted above I was generalising, not aiming it at anyone

I agree and can I add that if, by horrid chance, you didnt get a place after biomed, then if you originally wanted to be a doctor, you're not gonna want to have a job in biomed, as you're underpaid, overworked and pay rarely goes any higher than 40-50000 a year. But if you want to try that route, don't be a fool and go to a top biomed uni like so many do. You need to come top of the class, so I'd advise a weak uni in biomed, like Bristol, St.george's. But hey, concentrate on getting the grades now.

If you've got the grades, you can anything you want- reapply, apply to an acturial science course, become an investment banker AND BECOME LOADED! But it's good the person set up this thread. Very useful to any of those who are confused about their future.
Won't be able to get into all, and it'd help to have 4, but you can still get in, yes.
Reply 30
Do an AS level, any AS will do. Imperial and UCL need a B and E in a 4th AS respectively, and you will greatly increase the number of unis you can apply to with 4 AS levels. Definitely try and do one in year 13.
Reply 31
Original post by Hennnaa

Don't consider this option yet!
Original post by Hennnaa
QMUL

I'm sorry, what now????

It's Barts and the London, not Queen Mary :tongue:

Change your sig :colone:

:getmecoat:

But in all seriousness now, I'd recommend getting a 4th AS level, even if it means taking it in year 13 :yep:

My other advice would be to check with the individual med schools (their websites or e-mail/phone) before you apply and apply to Barts and the London since it is clearly the best med school out there and I'm not biased at all :ninja:

But most of all, start working on that personal statement, especially if you want to apply to Soton since you can't really start too early :nah:
Reply 33
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
I'm sorry, what now????

It's Barts and the London, not Queen Mary :tongue:

Change your sig :colone:

:getmecoat:

But in all seriousness now, I'd recommend getting a 4th AS level, even if it means taking it in year 13 :yep:

My other advice would be to check with the individual med schools (their websites or e-mail/phone) before you apply and apply to Barts and the London since it is clearly the best med school out there and I'm not biased at all :ninja:

But most of all, start working on that personal statement, especially if you want to apply to Soton since you can't really start too early :nah:

Haha, you make me laugh on the sunniest of the gloomy days of A-levels :wink:
Oh of course, no bias there, not at all :biggrin:

Yeahh that will change :smile:
Yeah I'm now thinking of doing maths anyway, so yeahh :smile: (hopefully I can try to get a B!)
only problem is my school is not co-operating, they're like, oh it's too much pressure, blah blah blah...basically they think I'm too stupid to do maths -.-
anyway, if they don't let me do maths this year, I'm moving to MPW and doing it there, along with my other A-levels :smile: smart choice :smile: (althought the fees are horrid, it's my last option :s-smilie: )

Personal statement - I'm working on it! :biggrin: it's actually, already a work in progess, quite proud of the four lines I've written :colondollar:
Original post by Hennnaa
Haha, you make me laugh on the sunniest of the gloomy days of A-levels :wink:
Oh of course, no bias there, not at all :biggrin:

Yeahh that will change :smile:
Yeah I'm now thinking of doing maths anyway, so yeahh :smile: (hopefully I can try to get a B!)
only problem is my school is not co-operating, they're like, oh it's too much pressure, blah blah blah...basically they think I'm too stupid to do maths -.-
anyway, if they don't let me do maths this year, I'm moving to MPW and doing it there, along with my other A-levels :smile: smart choice :smile: (althought the fees are horrid, it's my last option :s-smilie: )

Personal statement - I'm working on it! :biggrin: it's actually, already a work in progess, quite proud of the four lines I've written :colondollar:

I'm glad :hat2: :proud:

Yeah taking maths AS is definitely advisable :yep:
Maybe you could try bargaining with your school first? Or just tell them that it's your future and majority of schools offer 4 AS and a lot will allow more and also let them carry onto A2 level so you can't see where the problem is?:dontknow:
Seems a bit harsh that they wouldn't let you try when it's really quite important :colonhash:

Make sure you use the PS helper service on here, those people really helped me so I'd recommend them

Other than that, nothing left to say but good luck! :h:

Oh and if you have questions about UKCAT or Barts and the London then feel free to ask me :penguinhug:
Reply 35
I'm glad :hat2: :proud:

Yeah taking maths AS is definitely advisable :yep:
Maybe you could try bargaining with your school first? Or just tell them that it's your future and majority of schools offer 4 AS and a lot will allow more and also let them carry onto A2 level so you can't see where the problem is?:dontknow:
Seems a bit harsh that they wouldn't let you try when it's really quite important :colonhash:

Make sure you use the PS helper service on here, those people really helped me so I'd recommend them

Other than that, nothing left to say but good luck! :h:

Oh and if you have questions about UKCAT or Barts and the London then feel free to ask me :penguinhug:

Yeahh, my head of sixth form hates me, she's racist. And she can't put mascara on properly. -.-
I want to kill her. :rant:

Anyway...I'll see what happens, I'll probably have to move to MPW next year and do maths there -.- the prospect of paying money for it is saddening. (Saying that, my parents wasted around 50 thousand on my primary education :s-smilie: )

But just a question, who has the right to take a candidate/stundent out of an exam, other than the student...? (Hopefully it's not the head of sixth form - she is THE most PATRONIZING woman I have ever met :redface: )

Enough about her, I was wondering whether there was anything else I could do for my UKCAT, other than practice practice practice! And what is the content, (roughly) and and and, registration problems on Pearson Vue website or does that start in May?

Thank You! :biggrin:
Reply 36
Big question, for me, anyway. Would I still be able to get into Med school (anywhere...) with three AS levels and the same three A-Levels?
If I get three A's in Bio, Chem and Psych at AS, then predicted the same for A-level would I have a chance of getting into med, or do we have to have 4 AS ?????

Hey :smile:
I applied to UCL, Imperial and Southampton this year so can give you advice on those three especially.
You will need four AS Levels - maybe re-do maths AS next year? I have a friend at school who applied for medicine this year (and was invited to three interviews) and she did maths at AS but didn't do the exams as she found is too hard, so she re-did the AS in Year 13 and found it so much easier second time round! It'll certainly be easier than starting a new AS from scratch. Imperial give AAAb offers, UCL AAAe offers - not sure about your other two choices. However, UCL require you to reveal your AS module results so will realise that you only did 3 subjects at AS - my friend didn't declare any of her grades I don't think (she put them all as 'pending') so her unis wouldn't have realised that she hadn't done her AS Maths.
What do you think you could get in AS maths if you carried on with it this year? If you can, I would carry on with it this year - you can always re-take it next year.
All four of the unis are quite relaxed about academics, especially Imperial, Southampton and Barts - it's the BMAT/UKCAT they care about. Don't apply to Barts with a UKCAT below 680ish - the cutoff seems to have increased quite a lot this year (not totally sure what it is though..).
Good luck! xx
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lola1993

Original post by lola1993
Don't apply to Barts with a UKCAT below 680ish - the cutoff seems to have increased quite a lot this year (not totally sure what it is though..)

Nope! UKCAT cutoff went down this year!
For Barts and the London last year it was 665 average for A100 cutoff but this year it's more around the 635 range so anywhere over 670 and apply to Barts and the London since you should get an interview and it's awesome :awesome:
hey, im pretty you would, but most require 4 a levels(one studied up to AS), med schools are just so damn picky, it soo hardd...
good luck tho x
Nope! UKCAT cutoff went down this year!
For Barts and the London last year it was 665 average for A100 cutoff but this year it's more around the 635 range so anywhere over 670 and apply to Barts and the London since you should get an interview and it's awesome :awesome:

I'm applying next year :pierre:... providing the UKCAT is alright of course.

Original post by twelve

Hello fellow reapplicant!

Tis weird..an admissions cycle has just ended and we are already thinking about the next. Well, it is called a cycle after all. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest