Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I am not keen on the idea of PBL. I can't find a list or collection of the more heavily based PBL courses, so if someone could post the universities that are, it would be very helpful, so I know where to avoid looking around at. It is very time consuming to look at the 30 or so individual websites.

In particular, are Newcastle, Birmingham, Southampton, Bristol and Sheffield heavy PBL courses.

Thanks so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool and Manchester are heavy PBL

ReputationRep:
    Southampton isn't, thats a traditonal one! not sure about the others!

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham definitely isn't. Sheffield has elements of PBL but they call these ILA's and they are more structured than PBL activities. They are also not a major component.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george424)
    Basically, I am not keen on the idea of PBL. I can't find a list or collection of the more heavily based PBL courses, so if someone could post the universities that are, it would be very helpful, so I know where to avoid looking around at. It is very time consuming to look at the 30 or so individual websites.

In particular, are Newcastle, Birmingham, Southampton, Bristol and Sheffield heavy PBL courses.

Thanks so much for your help!
    You're willing to trust a bunch of strangers? Put in the time and do it yourself.

This site should be a good place to start, but for the most up-to-date information, you'll have to check the websites yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol definitely isn't PBL and neither is Newcastle although from what I have seen, most medicine degrees have aspects of PBL in them! x

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Newcastle defo isn't heavy PBL.

Form what I hear, Sheffield is a mix of traditional and PBL?

Not sure about the others.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of uni's have some component of PBL in the course, Manchester and Liverpool are obviously the main uni's that do it

what exactly do you not like about PBL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _lynx_)
    You're willing to trust a bunch of strangers? Put in the time and do it yourself.

This site should be a good place to start, but for the most up-to-date information, you'll have to check the websites yourself.
    To be fair, that is site is designed and written to people who are strangers to me
    Also, it's only the early stages of looking around. If someone didn't tell the truth, I would find out before applying

Thanks for all the information people!

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is heavy based on PBL, whilst other scottish unis take an integrated approach to it... A couple of sessions a term for example.

Liverpool are also big on PBL as are Manchester and Barts I think? Someone else would have to confirm London Unis I'm afraid.

The best thing you can do is to look at all the different courses prospectuses (prospecti? prospectum?) and judge from that. Attend open days, annoy the living **** out of admissions people, ask current medical school students how they handle the course.

Basically, mate, do your own research no real replacement for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    a lot of uni's have some component of PBL in the course, Manchester and Liverpool are obviously the main uni's that do it

what exactly do you not like about PBL?
    I suppose I have quite a limited understanding of it, however, I would rather be taught information through lectures from 'experts', opposed to having to research every bit of information. It seems like 'teach yourself medicine' to me. But I'm sure it is very good for some people, I just don't think it would suit me!

ReputationRep:
    Peninsula is heavily PBL.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I have quite a limited understanding of it, however, I would rather be taught information through lectures from 'experts', opposed to having to research every bit of information. It seems like 'teach yourself medicine' to me. But I'm sure it is very good for some people, I just don't think it would suit me!
    I'm good at teaching myself. My teachers, though experts, have been pretty crap, so it's usually up to me to research extra stuff and go over textbooks at home to ensure I actually learn.

So it'd suit me fine.

UAE is PBL based.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Newcastle is the polar opposite of 'heavy PBL'!

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, that is site is designed and written to people who are strangers to me
    Also, it's only the early stages of looking around. If someone didn't tell the truth, I would find out before applying

Thanks for all the information people!
    It's not that people are going to intentionally tell you false information - they may be mistaken or their knowledge of a course may be outdated.

As long as you do your own research by visitng websites, attending open days etc. then it's fine

ReputationRep:
    HYMS say a lot about inovative PBL on their website
    I've read that Barts use it a lot aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge, Newcastle, UCL have very traditional teaching styles
    Manchester and Glasgow are more PBL, and most other unis are a combination

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    HYMS say a lot about inovative PBL on their website
    I've read that Barts use it a lot aswell.
    Yep, they said this at the open day. I liked the idea of PBL until the girl who showed us round said the only bad thing about the course was that its difficult to find people to ask for help when you need it. For a very self-directed course, people to ask for help is kind of a necessity!!

ReputationRep:
    There are very few 'experts' who are great teachers, some of the best teachers I've had are generalists (at various grades) who don't know everything about a subject but know enough to teach me what I needed to know.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that Brighton is not heavy PBL, and that Imperial is (the students even complained about it one year).

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.