Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sanctimonious people who lecture you about giving everything to charity Watch

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes see posts or blogs on other sites from people saying how its disgusting that 'us people' in the developed world live in splendor and spend money on luxuries when there are children starving, and we should give all our money to charity.

I just think its a really hypocritical attitude. My friend for example said it's 'disgusting' that people spend money voting for things like the x-factor and buying clothes when people are dieing. I don't mind if I was getting this lecture off someone who'd given up all there personal possessions in pursuit of a spiritual life or to help others, but he spends more on alcohol than I spend on clothes.

Or people that buy guitars and think singing a song about african's plight makes them deep or means they care, why don't they give the money they spent on the guitar to charity. Or the people who write blogs about how it's disgusting, instead of spending money on a laptop and your time writing some sanctimonious blog, why aren't you out there helping the starving kids?

Worse still is people that go on gap years or go travelling to places like that. If you're going there purely to help the people then fair enough but it seems a lot of them just use it to brag.

A guy at Uni will constantly say how although he never had a part-time job, he did charity work because he went out to africa one summer. The thing is most people can't afford to just drop everything and do that, they actually have to work and get some money. I think we should be grateful for having what we have, and maybe try and do more if we can, but I can't stand people who tell you that you should feel guilty for spending money on something nice, or for working for money rather than just spending your life like Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    No rep left for today, but I completely agree. I don't want to be lectured by people about charity because they have given a bit to charity, or done a stunt for charity once in their lives. Good for them, but trying to make everybody feel guilty who has earned their money and wealth is just annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammynorton90)

Worse still is people that go on gap years or go travelling to places like that. If you're going there purely to help the people then fair enough but it seems a lot of them just use it to brag.

A guy at Uni will constantly say how although he never had a part-time job, he did charity work because he went out to africa one summer. The thing is most people can't afford to just drop everything and do that, they actually have to work and get some money. I think we should be grateful for having what we have, and maybe try and do more if we can, but I can't stand people who tell you that you should feel guilty for spending money on something nice, or for working for money rather than just spending your life like Jesus.
    omg i cant stand people like that, the spoilt rich kids that have exotic gap years 'helping in third world countries', all paid for by mummy and daddy of course. they spend the year holidaying, and making sure to get their pics taken in their designer clothes and Gucci sunnies with their arm around some 'poor brown kid' to show how caring and charitable they are. of course, the main purpose is to have something to put on their CV next to their public school edcuation - they couldnt possibly go to the local comprehensive with all those commoners and poor people - yuk!!!, no siree!!

now i do genuinely feel guilty for having nice things or too much. my family are in third world latin america, many are farmers or fishermen and live in shacks. Oxfam has done great things for them. Also when i was growing up, Oxfam provided most of my clothes since i had no proper parents and no money. my school (pre-EMA) gave me hardship fund for me in 6 form of £50 per term, and my local uni gave me bursaries. i graduated at the top of my year with a 1st class LLB law, got a great job and became a higher-rate taxpayer age 24.

but since my income is more than probably my entire familys incomes, i feel so guilty. i just put it in the bank, ignore it and dont even look in my bank statements. i havent bought anything really nice, the most expensive thing i've bought is my laptop for £200 and a coat for £60. i cant adapt to havig so much. i feel obliged to donate to charity but im not sure how much or how to manage.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.