Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will an MSc improve my chances of getting into an Investment Bank? (back office) watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I graduated uni last summer with a 2:1 from University of Liverpool in Anatomy and Human Biology. After I graduated I got a job in pharmaceutical advertising as an Account Executive. After 5 months of that job we decided it wasn't working (because I wanted to be an Investment Banker).

I have 8A*s and 2 As GCSES. Unfortunately one of the As is in Maths.
    My A Levels were only BAB and in Biology, English and French respectively.

My degree is brilliant (Liverpool is respected for medicine and almost everyone from my course went on to do graduate-entry medicine or dentistry) but because it isn't economics, maths or finance it puts me at a disadvantage for IB. Plus my pre-uni grades are good but not high enough for IB.

I am considering doing an MSc in Finance or Economics to improve my chances of breaking into the industry. If I study a relevant masters , will it realistically improve my chances of getting in? I want to get into the BACK office off a bulge bracket, not the front. Will doing a masters help me or will they hold my pre-masters background against me? I don't wanna waste my time and money

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    After spending £20-25k on an MSc Finance how are you going to convince them that you want to work in BO?

ReputationRep:
    Don't do a masters, there is no need. I'd ring them up/email them and to tell them your situation and ask about how best to apply since you've already left, although you might still be eligible for some grad scheme, I don't know.

Either way, your qualified enough for back office how it is.

ReputationRep:
    He is qualified enough also for FO...
    An MSc will give you more time and opportunities to apply for the position that you want. If the money is the problem, lot at dutch universities...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexiel)
    Hi

I graduated uni last summer with a 2:1 from University of Liverpool in Anatomy and Human Biology. After I graduated I got a job in pharmaceutical advertising as an Account Executive. After 5 months of that job we decided it wasn't working (because I wanted to be an Investment Banker).

I have 8A*s and 2 As GCSES. Unfortunately one of the As is in Maths.
    My A Levels were only BAB and in Biology, English and French respectively.

My degree is brilliant (Liverpool is respected for medicine and almost everyone from my course went on to do graduate-entry medicine or dentistry) but because it isn't economics, maths or finance it puts me at a disadvantage for IB. Plus my pre-uni grades are good but not high enough for IB.

I am considering doing an MSc in Finance or Economics to improve my chances of breaking into the industry. If I study a relevant masters , will it realistically improve my chances of getting in? I want to get into the BACK office off a bulge bracket, not the front. Will doing a masters help me or will they hold my pre-masters background against me? I don't wanna waste my time and money

Thanks

Why would you do a course unrelated to Economics, Finance, Banking, Maths, Stats. Also whats your reason for going into "Investment Banking", is it just because of money, if that's the case, you are least likely to get into banking because you have no love of the subject of Economics or Maths, which won't help you in the finance world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluenose53)
    Don't do a masters, there is no need. I'd ring them up/email them and to tell them your situation and ask about how best to apply since you've already left, although you might still be eligible for some grad scheme, I don't know.

Either way, your qualified enough for back office how it is.
    Are you being seirous!? am i really qualified enough for the back office of a BB though? like JP Morgan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut trader)
    After spending £20-25k on an MSc Finance how are you going to convince them that you want to work in BO?
    isn't it obvious i want to work in BO for them seeing as I've just spent £25k on an extra degree just to break in lol
    ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruel3a)
    He is qualified enough also for FO...
    An MSc will give you more time and opportunities to apply for the position that you want. If the money is the problem, lot at dutch universities...
    Are you talking about me? i'm a girl lol . If you are talking about me are you being sarcastic when you're saying i'm qualified enough for FO?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MillerTraub)
    Tell me, what do you think an investment banker does?
    Investment Bankers are client-facing members of the industry who arrange the underwriting of securities- for a fee- for their clients. Underwriting is when they basically agree to buy the securities off the company who issue them to investors, so that if the investors don't buy them the company will still get the capital for what they've just done. They also participate in facilitating and advising clients re: "mergers and acquisitions."

However I want to get into the Back Office (BO), Investment Bankers are classed as the Front Office (FO) and the back office analysts are different to Investment Bankers.

I'm really not the best person to come to advice for though sorry, I'm just as inexperienced as you are, that's why I've come on here to ask these lot! I'll try to help though

ReputationRep:
    what BO position are you looking to get in to? generally you can get into a bank without relevent degrees! its all about how you sell yourself and your passion for the job you want. Why does it have to be BB for your first job? (never quite sure who constitute BB)

So yes - a masters will help! But you dont fully need it

ReputationRep:
    No, I was not sarcastic. If someone that graduated in History could do the job, I think you would be able to do it as well... because it is not difficult.
    What it's difficult is to get in... and this is why you may need a MSc

ReputationRep:
    I think you might first want to decide on what kind of back office role you really want, whether it be Ops or Tech. I don't think your current degree is too bad, Liverpool may not be a target university but as a red-brick it shouldn't be too big a barrier, certainly not for a BO role, and on a similar note there are plenty of people from non-mathematical degrees that get into IB, certainly in BO. Your biggest challenge will be convincing people of why a) you want to work in the financial sector and b) what your degree will bring to whatever role you apply for. I would seriously consider these 2 questions, do my research into all the possible back office roles, decide on one that you think you will enjoy and fit into best and then apply to see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Operations

ReputationRep:
    I thought I replied to this thread, but it seems to have gone missing! Have you thought about research? You could perhaps use your experience and apply to desks that cover healthcare/pharmaceuticals. Not sure if they would take you as you are. I don t think the lack of finance experience would hold you back, but I think they might prefer better academics. Perhaps, if you were very interested you could sit the CFA exams yourself. I reckon if you did that, you might be quite attractive from a research point of view. That said- I don t have very much experience myself, so this is part guesswork.

Poll
Are you going to a Festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.