Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to do a van Der Graph experiment tomorrow for younger pupils as a demonstration.
    I am asking them to touch the van der Graph so their hair spikes up BUT I am terrified one of them will get electrocuted.

How do I conduct this experiment SAFELY

Thanks so much guys

It is safe. The amount of energy available is actually quite low, even though the pd is rather large.
    http://hypertextbook.com/eworld/vdg.shtml

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't make them available for schools if there was that much of a risk of someone getting electrocuted. You'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Can they stand on the ground? or do they have to stand on a special mat?

ReputationRep:
    Also, if someone touches them, will they be shocked? is it safe

ReputationRep:
    What an appropriate user name for such safety-oriented questions!

ReputationRep:
    ye, but what about the question?

ReputationRep:
    I assume that you've read the article on the link posted? It has detailed instructions. There are bound to be many more sets of instructions on the web. That is going to be more productive than asking questions here.

The point of the 'footstool' is that the volunteer has to be insulated from the ground. So their potential is raised to the potential of the generator but there is no current flowing since the volunteer isn't grounded, and therefore no shock.

ReputationRep:
    what if they had no stool?

ReputationRep:
    would it still be safe? if they were standing on wooden ground

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you also tell the pupils that its not spelt "van der Graph" but "van der Graaf"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.