Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For doing Economics at university, what would be the best A Level subject combination out of:

1) Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry
    2) Maths, Economics, Physics, Ethics with Philosophy
    3) Maths, Economics, Physics, Biology

My favourite combination probably be 2, then 3, and lastly 1, although 1 makes most sense because I could go into medicine if I didn't like economics, whereas the others don't combine so well.

For applying to do Economics at university, what combination would be most well looked at?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Maths. Preferably Further Maths. I'd say Economics is the third most important after those, as long as you've got Maths you're sorted really. Any of those combinations will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Maths. Preferably Further Maths. I'd say Economics is the third most important after those, as long as you've got Maths you're sorted really. Any of those combinations will be fine.
    I'm gonna hopefully learn Further Maths AS outside of school. Please could you give opinions on the other subjects though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd123)
    I'm gonna hopefully learn Further Maths AS outside of school. Please could you give opinions on the other subjects though.
    For economics, really those combinations are all as good as each other. Do option 1 if you want to keep medicine as a possibility.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I do option 1, and plan to do further maths AS in my second year. It is good because Medicine is a definite possibility with those options, as is anything Biology/Chemistry related. IMO 2 is the best set for an Economics degree, although Ethics could be seen as slightly soft? (Although this would keep the doors open for a possibility of a PPE degree but cuts off medicine)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    I do option 1, and plan to do further maths AS in my second year. It is good because Medicine is a definite possibility with those options, as is anything Biology/Chemistry related. IMO 2 is the best set for an Economics degree, although Ethics could be seen as slightly soft? (Although this would keep the doors open for a possibility of a PPE degree but cuts off medicine)
    I've done quite a bit of research and Ethics with Philosophy is definitely not regarded as a soft subject by most universities. The thing is, I enjoy ethics and physics the most, but I'm stuck between choosing what I enjoy, and choosing what gives me more options in terms of going to uni/careers etc. However, I can't really see myself as being a doctor, so I'm wondering whether to just set my mind on Economics and do the subjects that I like best. However, I don't want to risk picking subjects that won't be well respected when applying for Economics. Anyone else have any suggestions?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jd123)
    I've done quite a bit of research and Ethics with Philosophy is definitely not regarded as a soft subject by most universities. The thing is, I enjoy ethics and physics the most, but I'm stuck between choosing what I enjoy, and choosing what gives me more options in terms of going to uni/careers etc. However, I can't really see myself as being a doctor, so I'm wondering whether to just set my mind on Economics and do the subjects that I like best. However, I don't want to risk picking subjects that won't be well respected when applying for Economics. Anyone else have any suggestions?
    I understand you wanting to do subjects you enjoy but in the long run it definitely make sense to choose subjects appropriate to your degree/ future career

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jd123)
    For doing Economics at university, what would be the best A Level subject combination out of:

1) Maths, Economics, Biology, Chemistry
    2) Maths, Economics, Physics, Ethics with Philosophy
    3) Maths, Economics, Physics, Biology

My favourite combination probably be 2, then 3, and lastly 1, although 1 makes most sense because I could go into medicine if I didn't like economics, whereas the others don't combine so well.

For applying to do Economics at university, what combination would be most well looked at?

Thanks in advance
    4. maths, fm, physics, economics, history/english lit would be ideal.

But given your options, 3) sounds great.

ReputationRep:
    Maths Further Maths Physics Economics/History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarron)
    As long as you do maths and physics you'll be fine. My cousin did maths, physics, sociology and psychology and is now at Nottingham Uni doing economics
    So should I do Physics if I want to do Economics at uni? What science should I do alongside it?

(Original post by Insanity514)
    Maths Further Maths Physics Economics/History
    My school doesn't count Further Maths as an extra subject, so I'd have to pick another one on top of that. I'm definitely not doing English, and I dropped history a couple of years back. Does anyone have any views on Ethics with Philosophy? I'd love to do it alongside Physics, but I'm not sure whether it'd be better to do another science instead.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing maths, further maths, economics and history. Generally unis want your combination to have an essay subject, a science and maths for it to be a good combo.

***You may say I've missed a science, but no! Economics is my science

May take Physics AS next year

ReputationRep:
    Any of those combos would be acceptable, again maths is the real deciding factor. Further maths would be a definite plus.

With that, remember you will almost certainly do better in a subject you like than a subject you despise when choosing your options!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll definitely go with Physics - but I'm getting the view that there is no difference between doing Ethics with Philosophy or another science alongside Maths, Economics and Physics? I'm definitely doing Maths, and probably further maths, so it's just the last subject I need to decide on.

Btw, I'm also doing Spanish AS a year early, and dropping it after that, if that makes any difference...

Thanks for the help everyone
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jd123)
    Ok, I'll definitely go with Physics - but I'm getting the view that there is no difference between doing Ethics with Philosophy or another science alongside Maths, Economics and Physics? I'm definitely doing Maths, and probably further maths, so it's just the last subject I need to decide on.

Btw, I'm also doing Spanish AS a year early, and dropping it after that, if that makes any difference...

Thanks for the help everyone
    For a mix of all the best subjects you have up there I'd say maths, economics, physics and chemistry

ReputationRep:
    How important is further maths for economics at uni? Because it gives me 2 less free periods, and gives me an extra workload, so I'm not sure whether it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with danny111 on the ideal subject combination...But actually, reflecting on my own experience, whatever you do at A-level won't matter much in terms of the degree of usefulness when you're a university-it's all start from scratch again!

I did Sociology as a 4th subject myself and never imagined I'd get LSE offer for doing such a 'weak' subject!
    Further Maths will sumhow be useful, but I forget most of the materials after my A-level exams though I scored 98+ in all papers...

So I'd say to play it on the safe side, def. do Double Maths, but above and beyond, just choose whatever subjects you feel you'll learn most from

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2011

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.