Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applied to over 20 jobs in one day- what do you think? do you thinlk? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's easiest to get a job by using your social network. Apply disproportionately for small local shops. Don't throw CV's at them, these days they apparently go straight in a cardboard box and are never looked at again. Follow up with calls. Food-related industries are easier than retail - probably because they're local and you can expect to be treated like a skivvy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ithoughtofthis)
    Thank you so much!
    Your opinion has been great, If its always this helpful then people are crazy for not wanting you to share!
    If people don't have a job, the first thing they blame is the economy and they think that is the sole reason they aren't being employed. What most people don't realise, is that they only want a job for the money... which is the completely wrong reason to be employed and therefore they dont really want a job in the first place and therefore they don't care to open their eyes as to the real reason they arent getting the jobs.

If that makes any sense xD

ReputationRep:
    People keep saying tailor your CV, a lot of places don't ask for a CV if you apply on line. How long can you spend on an application that is just simple questions?

ReputationRep:
    Why is it bad to want a job for money? Everyone needs it...

ReputationRep:
    Mate, I have applied to at least 150 jobs over the past few months, and I'm still jobless. I have retail experience of 2 years working in Greggs, and I've also done some bar work. I've had quite a few interviews, but nothing has been successful yet. It's crap!

I don't mean to put a downer on you, btw! Good luck with finding something. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: Sorry for the retarded title. My laptop kept freezing and acting strange.

Ive been quite unlucky with jobs recently and I really dont understand why.

Im sure its not because of my CV/Experience/Grades.
    Spoiler:
    Show

-I have Good GCSE grades
    -Ive previously worked in 2 charity shops (retail experience!!)
    -I got help doing my CV from those people who visit colleges and unis and help you out with this kind of thing

I understand our economy isnt so good right now and all, but there are people I know getting/have jobs and im SO FRIKKIN DESPERATE! (Next path will be prostitution)

Anyway I usually apply to lots per week. Have had a few interviews. Few Phone calls. Ending in rejection And many no-replies.
    Today I went crazy and have applied to about 28 jobs .

(Where did I find that many? Ive literally spent all day on my laptop going through all job websites AND all individual stores websites, shoot me)

Basically, do you think I will finally get a job? 28 is a huge number. What do you think my chances are? Are you in a similar situation? Should I just be a prostitute?
    Look, the UK jobs market is oversuscribed. The only way British people will get British jobs is if we kick out all the bloody Poles.

And prostuition is a pretty good choice, if I was a girl I'd prostitute myself, why not it's an easy £100 an hour.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of jobs have you been applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GGekko)
    What kind of jobs have you been applying for?
    Part time jobs, mainly in retail. But Id work anything that fits around my education to be honest. I really need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davott)
    If people don't have a job, the first thing they blame is the economy and they think that is the sole reason they aren't being employed. What most people don't realise, is that they only want a job for the money... which is the completely wrong reason to be employed and therefore they dont really want a job in the first place and therefore they don't care to open their eyes as to the real reason they arent getting the jobs.

If that makes any sense xD
    Yeah that makes absolute sense to be honest
    But I dont want a job just to 'have money'. I actually need a job to be able to provide for myself, and also to gain experience and become more independant. But mainly to just live-by.

ReputationRep:
    Part time jobs, mainly in retail. But Id work anything that fits around my education to be honest. I really need it.
    Okay. What do you look like? Don't take this an insult. It's just that in the store I work in (and I presume most other places too) the best looking people always seem to have an immediate advantage at interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    The more jobs you apply for, the higher your chances will be to get one. No brainer.

What can TSRians tell you, Miss?
    Comerle el cono.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it's not about the application but how you put yourself forward to the interviewer, how you present yourself and handle yourself during interviews and believe it or not, whether they like the look of you.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. What do you look like? Don't take this an insult. It's just that in the store I work in (and I presume most other places too) the best looking people always seem to have an immediate advantage at interview.
    Accept friend request [check my album] and feel free to give an honest opinion.
    [I know Ive been told I look young/just about my age]

ReputationRep:
    Accept friend request [check my album] and feel free to give an honest opinion.
    [I know Ive been told I look young/just about my age]
    Actually you're fine So it's not about looks then. I did think it could have been a possibilty befor seeing you because think of how many ugly people you see in shops. Not a great deal. Good luck with getting a job! You're cat looks identical to mine btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Public sector doesn't matter if you have 100000 degrees or just GCSES. A lot of it's random + who you know.
    You mean the private sector.

The public sector is working for the government.

ReputationRep:
    Actually you're fine So it's not about looks then. I did think it could have been a possibilty befor seeing you because think of how many ugly people you see in shops. Not a great deal. Good luck with getting a job! You're cat looks identical to mine btw.
    Thanks Just applied to another 3 jobs last night. Ah, I'll need all the good luck I get, thank you!
    & Haha, what a coincidence, I love my cat

ReputationRep:
    Sending so many out on one day may indicate that you are not researching the jobs and tailoring your covering letters, CVs and applications for each post.

Reduce that number and you may be more successful.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, 20 isn't a lot.

When you say you are legally entitled to work 20 hours a week - what is the restraint due to?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, OP. I've even had days when I've applied for over 10 jobs in one day. I'm getting a bit tired if it now though, since I haven't managed to get one since starting my search in September :erm:. I don't really know what to say, I guess I'm not really one to give advice on this, haha. I say good luck to you though :top:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.