Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    :/

ReputationRep:
    wow you're under the thumb!you can't let her control your life like she is doing because it's just going to end in tears. how about go out on a weekend with your friends and maybe invite her?or if she can't come just go. and she'll eventually learn that yes she can trust you

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a complete *****.
    I'd dump her.
    She is far too controlling and has major trust issues, for no valid reason.

ReputationRep:
    been in this kinda situation before and you need to get out of it as soon as possible. you'll regret it majorly if you don't stop it all before university. if she loves you, like you believe she does, she'll accept you need to spend time with friends as well. if she doesn't accept it, i'm afraid it's time to kick her into touch and move on.... unless you want to lose the best years of your life.

ReputationRep:
    Run fast and run far.

ReputationRep:
    i know she's insecure cos of her parents and whatever, but you need to explain to her that you need your own space too and she can't just monopolise you like that. you have a life too and she'll just have to learn to cope with it and stop being so unreasonable if she wants to keep you.

ReputationRep:
    admire you for not just dumping her though

ReputationRep:
    God, so many red flags, I don't know where to begin.

I'm going to be very lazy and say end it - she's sabotaged your friendships, you're young and going away anyway, projects her urge to mess about onto you and has a whole huge bag of other issues.

Just make a bid for freedom, you sound like a nice guy, don't put up with it any more!

ReputationRep:
    Get rid.

If she doesn't trust you after a year, then she never will and nothing will change that.

ReputationRep:
    You really need to break up with her, as much as you don't want to. I'd consider the topless picture thing pretty much unforgivable.

ReputationRep:
    You don't want to dump her but you've done everything but to try and make her change. If you think about it from her point of view, why should she change? Obviously things have been hard for her, but everything she has asked you to do, you've done. The problem is, once this pattern is entrenched, it's hard to get out of it. You sound like you've been very sweet and patient with her and I'm not saying she's taking advantage or anything like that, I just mean that she is used to you being this way. She is also pretty certain that you're not going to dump her, so any ultimatum will just be viewed as an empty threat. The way I see it, you just have to start doing things. Ring up your old friends and ask to go out at the weekend. Yes she will get upset and she will beg you not to go, but you have to explain to her that you've tried talking about everything and nothing was changing so you're going to take action. Obviously reassure her that you love her, but remind her that you need to have a life outside of her if the relationship is going to work!

ReputationRep:
    She sounds immature.
    Give her an ultimatum, and mean it this time

ReputationRep:
    Get rid, bro.

Also, just a pointer here: Her last words were "Don't trust men"? Not, "I love you"? Or something?

Its very tragic her mother died, but for her mother to say, "Don't trust men" rather then telling her daughter that she loves her as part of her last few words seems odd to me. :dontknow:

Topic: I'd leave her, my friend. She sounds really controlling, very untrustworthy and I don't think those lead to very good relationships. There's no point being with someone who doesn't have trust in you, when she's no reason to doubt you.

That's just my two cents, though. In any case, good luck with this.

ReputationRep:
    It will ruin social life at university for you, you will regret that for the rest of your life. If she really loved you she would let you, you need to break it to her shockingly, if that doesn't work just disobey her to be honest, doesn't sound worth it at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Sounds like a complete *****.
    I'd dump her.
    She is far too controlling and has major trust issues, for no valid reason.
    I agree with dumping her and the control issues, but she has a (sorta) valid reason, of it being her mothers last words. Those things are bound to stick with you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You still use MSN?

ReputationRep:
    wow how spineless.

ReputationRep:
    It's sad that she can't trust you seeing as you've done nothing to break her trust. In fact it's pretty hypocritical that she can't trust you when she's the one who has been asking to see pictures of another guy.
    You're very patient to stick it out this long. Kudos there.
    Although I want to say end it, it would all be a terrible waste after you have tried so hard to make it work. Ending it now would do nothing for her lack of trust in men. You are the person by which she will measure every relationship from here on. No pressure. You are sure you love her so maybe telling her more, reassuring her more and lots of hugs could sort this? If this doesn't work, you may have to try the tough love thing with the ultimatums and stuff. Whatever you decide to do, Good Luck
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You buy her a present EVERY WEEK??? christ! Hun, she's walking all over you. I think you should have earnt her trust by now. I have issues with men too for reasons I'm not going to go into here and even I have learnt to trust my boyfriend (of about the same length of time in fact). I know its hard when you love someone, but someone who really loves you would never want to stop you seeing your friends or make you delete them from facebook. She has issues she needs to sort out by herself, I don't think a relationship is helping either of you right now! Keep your chin up and do what makes you happy, even if it means causing a little pain in the short term

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.