Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey

I got the results of my immunity tests back today from the GP (so I can send it off to soton)....and it turns out I don't have immunity for measles or rubella, and I only have mumps antibodies as I actually got the disease last year (so thats natural)

as a result....it seems that despite having had 3 MMR jabs in the past, none of them have worked....

would this be an issue that could prevent me from starting in september and stop me from becoming a doctor???

ReputationRep:
    It could, and it could not.

It depends on what your body does with the dead strains of MMR which are in the jab.

If your body ignores them and th substance just flies through your system you may have a problem, but if your body does 'combat' the MMR but is simply 'forgetting' how to produce the correct anti-bodies then all you'll need is to find out how long it takes for your body to forget and then have MMR jabs every so often according to what you find.

Unfortunately, I'm not even sure if it is possible to screen how long white blood cells remember anti-bodies as most people's don't forget.

Try having a chat with a GP and see if they can do anything for you, hope I've helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beska)
    figured you'd know something about this
    (Original post by renal)
    any help?
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    reckon you'd know...
    do any of you know what this could mean as I'm really worried about this
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Talk to your GP about it - I've got no idea, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    It's not the end of the world, I don't have Hep B immunity despite half a dozen vaccinations. Occy health will know more than I do but the upshot is that it is unlikely to stop you practising but it may limit where you can work - i.e. perhaps not in O&G or paeds.

ReputationRep:
    Contact Occy Health and ask them. Probably the first course of action would be to get a further immunisation and then check your response after that. They will also be able to advise if/how it will affect your practice.

ReputationRep:
    ring up occy health, they're not going to be annoyed with you and they'll have a procedure in place for it

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the help...it has deffo put me at ease now as I thought it may mean I wasn't allowed to practise....

will give them a call tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Have found this site - http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinforma...cine/index.htm

This is the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency. whilst there may not an immediate answer to your question on the website, it might be worth contacting them. And definitely see your GP, how much time to do you have before a response has to be sent to Soton? Depending on what the time lapse is/what you GP and the outcome of other enquiries you may need to contact the med schools' occupational Health and seek advice from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anaphylactic)
    Have found this site - http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinforma...cine/index.htm

This is the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency. whilst there may not an immediate answer to your question on the website, it might be worth contacting them.
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    hey

I got the results of my immunity tests back today from the GP (so I can send it off to soton)....and it turns out I don't have immunity for measles or rubella, and I only have mumps antibodies as I actually got the disease last year (so thats natural)

as a result....it seems that despite having had 3 MMR jabs in the past, none of them have worked....

would this be an issue that could prevent me from starting in september and stop me from becoming a doctor???
    You can get the single vaccines, maybe that's worth a jab?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    hey

well done on getting an offer by the way. Just have to get the grades now and you're set to become a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    I had to have the MMR again in my 4th year as I hadn't mounted sufficient immunity (some uncertainty as to whether I'd missed a dose when we moved house). Contact the university and they'll put you in touch with their occupational health department for advice.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.