Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some people I've met seem to find Chemistry very difficult, and say it's their most difficult A level by far.

I know it's probably a lot harder than GCSE Chemistry (though to be honest you don't really need to understand Chemistry to do well at GCSE level), but as long as you think logically, and apply yourself in lessons, is the workload greater than Modern Foreign Languages, or Physics, for example?

I would simply like to attain a better understanding of A levels so that I can base my decision to change them or keep them as they are upon facts rather than superficial, anecdotal evidence.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I with many other of my mates find Chemistry to be the hardest subject at A level. It is a difficult subject, but it depends on the person at the end of the day on what they find difficult! Btw A levels are a whole new game compared with GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    In a nutshell yes it is. Basically first lesson you get told forget anything you learnt at GCSE because its wrong. That and you can cover all you learnt at GCSE in a single lesson.

ReputationRep:
    It's really not that bad, I would say languages are harder from speaking to people. I do Maths, Further Maths and the three sciences, and I find Chemistry and Physics easier than the others.

ReputationRep:
    No.

They even said A2 was going to be REALLY hard, but imo its easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Some people I've met seem to find Chemistry very difficult, and say it's their most difficult A level by far.

I know it's probably a lot harder than GCSE Chemistry (though to be honest you don't really need to understand Chemistry to do well at GCSE level), but as long as you think logically, and apply yourself in lessons, is the workload greater than Modern Foreign Languages, or Physics, for example?

I would simply like to attain a better understanding of A levels so that I can base my decision to change them or keep them as they are upon facts rather than superficial, anecdotal evidence.

Thanks
    Hey,

I would say Chemistry AS is quite easy if you're finding GCSE a breeze. It's really quite straightforward. You won't have to work THAT hard. A2 Chemistry is much harder as there is more to learn.

If you're good at a language then AS (and most of A2) will be easy for you. A language does open up lots of opportunities if you want to do something in business or similar. It also shows you can communicate well

Physics will be hard if you don't do maths, so a fair bit of work. Again, A2 Physics is much harder than AS. Purely depends on what you want to do at Uni, e.g. if you want to do something in engineering then Maths/Physics is compulsory.

Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    Have to say from experience it is damn hard!

I got an A (like 1 UMS of an A*) at GCSE and loved the subject, then ended up with a C at As level whilst hating every minute, carried on into A2 level (long story but I thought I needed it for Uni, turns out I dont!) and I dropped out at the end of November, partly because I'd been getting D's, E's and U's in all of my assignments and partly because of the negativeness one of my teachers.

Luckily my sixth form let me re-enter for politics A2 and I got an A in the January module!!

Anyway, despite this experience, I've found that if your enthusiastic about the subject and really willing to go the extra mile and read around the subject it can be both enjoyable and not too difficult.

Its not impossible, but I'd definitely say its one of the two hardest A levels (the other being physics)

ReputationRep:
    Let me expand on my original post then. If I choose Chemistry A level, I will be doing it alongside Maths, Further Maths, and Physics. Currently, I find those subjects (at GCSE!), including Chemistry, far too easy. They're nowhere near challenging enough.

However, I'm also not the sort of person who enjoys spending many hours at home learning facts. I prefer figuring out how things work, and applying logic rather than regurgitating facts that I have been taught. In that sense, I think very much like a mathematician.

I hope that gives people a clearer grounding upon which to base their answers.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I do a language, maths and chemistry, I think chemistry is the easiest. It depends how much work you put in, because chemistry will definitely reward the hard work.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    What I found doing three sciences was.
    Physics is all concepts, biology is all learning, and chemistry is half and half.
    Most people are good at concept or rote learning, and not both, hence they struggle with chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    I do Chemistry, Biology and Maths and Chemistry is by far my hardest A level. However, with a lot of work I managed to get an A in my January exam But (excluding the resits I have now done) I got a C on the AS.

Edit: I got two A*s in double GCSE science. A level is completely different to GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Let me expand on my original post then. If I choose Chemistry A level, I will be doing it alongside Maths, Further Maths, and Physics. Currently, I find those subjects (at GCSE!), including Chemistry, far too easy. They're nowhere near challenging enough.

However, I'm also not the sort of person who enjoys spending many hours at home learning facts. I prefer figuring out how things work, and applying logic rather than regurgitating facts that I have been taught. In that sense, I think very much like a mathematician.

I hope that gives people a clearer grounding upon which to base their answers.

Thanks
    Chemistry is the subject I do least work for and just cram towards the end, which doesn't seem to be such a bad method in all honesty. There are more facts to learn at A2, but not much, and there is a lot more emphasis on maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faith01)
    I do a language, maths and chemistry, I think chemistry is the easiest. It depends how much work you put in, because chemistry will definitely reward the hard work.
    Unfortunately, I will undoubtedly be devoting much of my time to Mathematics outside of the curriculum, as I have aspirations of taking it on at university. Would the work required for Chemistry distract me from such endeavours? Is the hard work required to get an A* grade really that great?

ReputationRep:
    I never have and don't find chemistry hard. Chemistry has major concepts in it, if you actually UNDERSTAND them, then I think there's no problem, even with the mathsy calculations. E.g. if you actually understand the nucleophilic/electrophilic substitution mechanism, then you don't need to sit there and try to remember it by heart. In chemistry, I don't think you can't learn everything by heart, it's about applying.

I do double award science and I got A*, and I'm keeping well clear of chemistry!
    Useful A-Level though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phenylethylamine_)
    I never have and don't find chemistry hard. Chemistry has major concepts in it, if you actually UNDERSTAND them, then I think there's no problem, even with the mathsy calculations. E.g. if you actually understand the nucleophilic/electrophilic substitution mechanism, then you don't need to sit there and try to remember it by heart. In chemistry, I don't think you can't learn everything by heart, it's about applying.
    That's what I like to hear . Sounds like it suits me better than a Modern Foreign Language.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    French was far harder than chemistry, for me. I had to work hard for both but French was a pain in the arse.

ReputationRep:
    Well, judge for yourself by having a look at this website (which, by the way, is the only good teaching/revision website for any subject which I am aware of other than thephysicsclassroom): http://www.chemguide.co.uk/.

I was considering taking chemistry for A level, and I learned most of the atoms and bonding stuff a few months ago before deciding that I wanted to take music instead. It didn't strike me as very difficult, but I gather that the hard part is organic chemistry, which I despise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    French was far harder than chemistry, for me. I had to work hard for both but French was a pain in the arse.
    Was that because of all the vocabulary that needed learning?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.