Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The content can be quite hard to grasp at first, but it isn't impossible.

I do AS biology, chemistry, history and classical civilisation, and history and biology are harder to learn due to the fact they have far more content than chemistry. Chemistry isn't as hard at ASm because it's less about memorising and more about application.

That's not to say there's no memorising to do- there's still a fair bit- but I find it FAR easier to memorise chemistry than biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    However, I'm also not the sort of person who enjoys spending many hours at home learning facts. I prefer figuring out how things work, and applying logic rather than regurgitating facts that I have been taught. In that sense, I think very much like a mathematician.
    It is hard, but if you're a mathematician I'm sure you'll love it. There are parts when you have to apply logic, and then there are parts that you have to remember things.

I think that's what makes it so hard, you have the organic chemistry where you have to learn lots of reaction and then you have the physical which involves lots of working things out.

I think it's challenging but I love it! I'm not quite sure why though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j.alexanderh)
    Well, judge for yourself by having a look at this website (which, by the way, is the only good teaching/revision website for any subject which I am aware of other than thephysicsclassroom): http://www.chemguide.co.uk/.

I was considering taking chemistry for A level, and I learned most of the atoms and bonding stuff a few months ago before deciding that I wanted to take music instead. It didn't strike me as very difficult, but I gather that the hard part is organic chemistry, which I despise.
    Hi, j.alexanderh. I was just wondering whether you've had time to read my PM.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is ****ingly hard but as long as you pay attention in lessons and do sufficient revision before the exams then you should do fine.

ReputationRep:
    I do chemistry, biology, maths and english lit. Chem is the most interesting and of average difficulty. Just make sure you put in the work from the beginning and make sure you understand everything and you'll easily get an A - (that is if you achieved an A/A* at GCSE/ are intelligent) The practicals are hard though imo, i got 7/15 because my mean/average was too low :sad:. Argh, i hope i get another go.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is just pure awesomeness really. Does that answer your question? I got 100 % in A2 So its alright if you like it. I found it comparable to physics, but more content-heavy.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be put off by it's reputation for being difficult; it's eye-opening and the content isn't very difficult it's applying it for the exams.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by und)
    Was that because of all the vocabulary that needed learning?
    No, there's not much more vocab to rote learn. What I mean is that you won't be sitting there staring at a list of environment-related words; you'll learn as you go along. It's about perfecting your reading, listening, writing and oral skills. Your grammar has to be top notch. And the subjonctif... *shudders*. You'll be writing tons of essays (only to get them ripped apart :sigh:) and practising talking about inflation for 10 minutes. That said, it was my favourite A Level by far.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by darkxangel)
    I do chemistry, biology, maths and biology.
    Hard core biology there :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    No, there's not much more vocab to rote learn. What I mean is that you won't be sitting there staring at a list of environment-related words; you'll learn as you go along. It's about perfecting your reading, listening, writing and oral skills. Your grammar has to be top notch. And the subjonctif... *shudders*. You'll be writing tons of essays (only to get them ripped apart :sigh:) and practising talking about inflation for 10 minutes. That said, it was my favourite A Level by far.
    Oh god, I can't stand Russian essays (fortunately they've been replaced by 'controlled assignments' for GCSE French ).

ReputationRep:
    nope

ReputationRep:
    Just liking it doesn't do enough! I loved chemistry at gcse and A-level and still do but you just got to be good at it, if your no good at remembering stuff, drawing stuff and determined enough to do well in chemistry don't take it- it may just cost you a uni place.:erm:

ReputationRep:
    it depends on how you personally find the chemistry a-level. it can range from easy to the hardest a level on Earth.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't bad at all, just work really hard and do lots of past papers. I'm on unit 5 at the moment and a lot of the stuff is really new to me and will take some getting useful, but I'm confident I will get the hang of it by June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Let me expand on my original post then. If I choose Chemistry A level, I will be doing it alongside Maths, Further Maths, and Physics. Currently, I find those subjects (at GCSE!), including Chemistry, far too easy. They're nowhere near challenging enough.

However, I'm also not the sort of person who enjoys spending many hours at home learning facts. I prefer figuring out how things work, and applying logic rather than regurgitating facts that I have been taught. In that sense, I think very much like a mathematician.

I hope that gives people a clearer grounding upon which to base their answers.

Thanks
    Chemistry's your type. GCSE Chemistry is easy, AS is a bit confusing at first but you get the hang of it. A2 Chemistry is really applying basic logic to complicated questions. And you're going to have a hard time with Physics at A Level.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by und)
    Oh god, I can't stand Russian essays (fortunately they've been replaced by 'controlled assignments' for GCSE French ).
    :lolwut: sounds fun.

If you like studying the culture and country, not just the language, then you'll enjoy A Level. I may also have a thing for grammar, which helped

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think it was the hardest out of the A levels I did (Maths, Physics, Chemistry, History).
    It does depend on what part of chemistry you like though. I found AS fine as it was mainly inorganic chemistry. But most of A2 was organic, which I hated.

(Original post by drunkensailor258)
    In a nutshell yes it is. Basically first lesson you get told forget anything you learnt at GCSE because its wrong.
    This all the way.

(Original post by Phenylethylamine_)
    I never have and don't find chemistry hard. Chemistry has major concepts in it, if you actually UNDERSTAND them, then I think there's no problem, even with the mathsy calculations. E.g. if you actually understand the nucleophilic/electrophilic substitution mechanism, then you don't need to sit there and try to remember it by heart. In chemistry, I don't think you can't learn everything by heart, it's about applying.
    Has it changed since I did it then?
    Because part of the reason I found it hard is simply the huge amount that you need to learn. Specifics about the different parts of the periodic table and about each element. THe actual understanding bits were fine, but so much of it was just learning so many facts.

ReputationRep:
    For me chemistry is my hardest A level currently, however if I could change what I'm currently taking I'd go with your choice of further maths, maths, chemistry and physics every time..... If you enjoy maths, and your good at it A level really is a walk in the park. As for physics its also got alot of equations, of which quite a few can be worked out simply by knowing the units involved ;< Plus both physics and maths do mechanics, which gives a very nice overlap from both subjects. Chemistry Unit 1 is the easiest, I find involves less actual fact regurgitation than the Unit 2. With a bit of work not too hard to get an A in them both

As I said above, I'd go with your choice of subjects every time. Unfornately for me I picked up biology instead of further maths.... and its literally just learning scienitific names ;( Not that its hard... the content is easy.... just the boredom of learning facts. I've been regretting taking it over further maths for a while now.

Hopefully pick it up next year as a further AS level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobius323)
    Chemistry's your type. GCSE Chemistry is easy, AS is a bit confusing at first but you get the hang of it. A2 Chemistry is really applying basic logic to complicated questions. And you're going to have a hard time with Physics at A Level.
    Really? Physics is just the sort of subject I'm looking forward to, so that I can leave GCSE behind me .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobius323)
    And you're going to have a hard time with Physics at A Level.
    lol. I found Physics the easiest and most interesting out of my A levels.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 1, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.