Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i do german and it is far far harder that chemistry. for me chemistry is really easy. not everyone finds it easy but one thing I like about AS is that there isn't too much you need to know. The syllabus is quite short compared to say biology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Some people I've met seem to find Chemistry very difficult, and say it's their most difficult A level by far.

I know it's probably a lot harder than GCSE Chemistry (though to be honest you don't really need to understand Chemistry to do well at GCSE level), but as long as you think logically, and apply yourself in lessons, is the workload greater than Modern Foreign Languages, or Physics, for example?

I would simply like to attain a better understanding of A levels so that I can base my decision to change them or keep them as they are upon facts rather than superficial, anecdotal evidence.

Thanks
    It is difficult if you have a crap teacher who can't explain theory parts well e.g. electron shells and s p d and f orbitals. So you will have to do more independent studying.

Some of it (like organic chemistry) is pretty straightforward - use a CGP book and you'll be ok. What other subjects are you looking to do? I don't know about Physics - I didn't do it because I hate electricity and mechanics

ReputationRep:
    I think it's awful. But then again I faint at the sight of a fraction.

ReputationRep:
    AS Chemistry isn't too bad. For me (doing OCR A) the forth module (in A2 year) is a *****, very very hard (thats what she said) Most people in my year did badly, out of like 40 people 3 got A's 3 got B's and the rest got E's and U's.The content is not too difficult, but the exam is just weird!

Am studying the last module now and that seems fine, lots of maths

Compared to other A levels it has to be one of the hardest, it does require lots of work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalange)
    It is difficult if you have a crap teacher who can't explain theory parts well e.g. electron shells and s p d and f orbitals. So you will have to do more independent studying.

Some of it (like organic chemistry) is pretty straightforward - use a CGP book and you'll be ok. What other subjects are you looking to do? I don't know about Physics - I didn't do it because I hate electricity and mechanics
    Maths, F. Maths, Physics.

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is where its at!

ReputationRep:

You do realise how bad and useless CGP books are......

ReputationRep:

(Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    You do realise how bad and useless CGP books are......
    Agree with this, they are **** :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petoid12)
    Agree with this, they are **** :P
    Not for GCSE science, they aren't . I got 100 UMS in my modules with revision on the night before, using those things.

ReputationRep:
    AS isnt too bad because most of of it is just GCSE but a little more advanced. But the amount of content that needs learned at A level makes it bloody hard!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Not for GCSE science, they aren't . I got 100 UMS in my modules with revision on the night before, using those things.
    True, i must admit i used them too for GCSE and got 100 UMS too. but at A level they poor

ReputationRep:
    I do biology, chemistry and maths.

I would say that chemistry is the hardest, but i've been getting some pretty good results! If you put the time in, then you end up doing better than you'd think.

Worked out that I need 20% in my next chemistry exam to get an A :')
    Going for an A* though, as I got 119/120 in my first A2 module.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let people put you off, it's not that hard. You don't have to be super intelligent; as long as you put the work and effort in you should get As/A*s no problem.

My hardest A-Level was Computing, absolutely hated it. Biology was basically remeber these facts and regurgitate them in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think its a few things that matter:

A) The teacher
    B) The exam board.
    C) You

Chemistry can be fun and interesting if the teacher shares some enthusiasm and understands the concepts fully themselves.

If the exam board you're on sort of hints at some very fundamental concepts for example: In AQA chemistry, theres half a page in the book on something called the 'Inductive effect' yet this is something that is so important in degree level!

Also, you just have to work hard, and don't let it get ahead of you. I found it easier to formulate the concepts in my own head with examples, and other things. Your teacher may teach things like thermodynamics one way, yet there are many ways to go around problems about enthalpy of formation for example.

You could always pick it up, try it and see and then swap later maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gurnani P)
    I personally think its a few things that matter:

A) The teacher
    B) The exam board.
    C) You

Chemistry can be fun and interesting if the teacher shares some enthusiasm and understands the concepts fully themselves.

If the exam board you're on sort of hints at some very fundamental concepts for example: In AQA chemistry, theres half a page in the book on something called the 'Inductive effect' yet this is something that is so important in degree level!

Also, you just have to work hard, and don't let it get ahead of you. I found it easier to formulate the concepts in my own head with examples, and other things. Your teacher may teach things like thermodynamics one way, yet there are many ways to go around problems about enthalpy of formation for example.

You could always pick it up, try it and see and then swap later maybe?
    Yeah, it would probably be a lot easier to change from Chemistry to Russian than the other way round - although it might lead to me having to change Maths and Physics classes...

ReputationRep:
    The reason that people say it's the hardest A-lev is because there are undoubtedly alot of parts in chemistry which are easier to label as 'hard'. Once someone gets into the mindframe of "oh **** this is hard territory" they don't learn as well at all. In fact, chemistry just becomes about learning facts rather than improving understanding and that is the worst position anyone can be in.

My advice: If you don't get put off, learn to struggle over difficult concepts rather than skipping them and are vaguely interested, chemistry will be as easy as any of your other subjects.

If you go into it thinking 'dang this sh!t's solid' you won't last. You could still get the grade you want through hard revision but all that knowlege won't stick with you and you'll end up hating chemistry... forever.

Your move

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzRussian)
    The reason that people say it's the hardest A-lev is because there are undoubtedly alot of parts in chemistry which are easier to label as 'hard'. Once someone gets into the mindframe of "oh **** this is hard territory" they don't learn as well at all. In fact, chemistry just becomes about learning facts rather than improving understanding and that is the worst position anyone can be in.

My advice: If you don't get put off, learn to struggle over difficult concepts rather than skipping them and are vaguely interested, chemistry will be as easy as any of your other subjects.

If you go into it thinking 'dang this sh!t's solid' you won't last. You could still get the grade you want through hard revision but all that knowlege won't stick with you and you'll end up hating chemistry... forever.

Your move
    I just noticed that your GCSEs and A levels are extremely similar to mine.

Mathematics
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    English Language
    English Literature
    History
    Geography
    French
    Russian

A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics {Chemistry, Russian} - are you Russian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    I just noticed that your GCSEs and A levels are extremely similar to mine.

Mathematics
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    English Language
    English Literature
    History
    Geography
    French
    Russian

A levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics {Chemistry, Russian} - are you Russian?
    Yepppppp or I mean Da

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotty_but_good)
    What I found doing three sciences was.
    Physics is all concepts, biology is all learning, and chemistry is half and half.
    Most people are good at concept or rote learning, and not both, hence they struggle with chemistry.
    This is so true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itzRussian)
    Yepppppp or I mean Da
    Lol.. I don't know...(I mean 'ya ne znayu esli a level na ruskiy yazik mne budet trudno dayotsa') - to be honest, I have no idea if any of that makes sense, which is why I'm reconsidering my options!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.