Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Salutations everyone!
    I have seen only a few threads discussing which are the best engineering firms to work for. So lets make a list of such companies.

Some of the criteria that could be used in assessing the companies:
    Career progression
    Salary
    International impact
    Type of work
    etc....

Here is a list of top engineering firms to work for in Russia:
    YUKOS (GAAP) Oil and gas
    Gazprom (IAS) Oil and gas
    LUKOIL (GAAP) Oil and gas
    Norilsk Nickel Metallurgical Combine (IAS) Nonferrous metallurgy
    RAO UES of Russia (IAS) Power

ReputationRep:
    BAE you're well paid and get to serve your country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -2D-)
    BAE you're well paid and get to serve your country
    We can also add:
    BP, Rolls-Royce, Airbus, QinetiQ, Jaguar ....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The petroleum industry is generally offers the best salary for engineering graduates who want to continue working in engineering. So you're looking at the likes of BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, Marathon, BG Group, Maersk Oil, Apache, Nexen, Talisman, ConocoPhillips, Saudi Aramco, Statoil, etc. - the companies that have licenses to explore and produce petroleum. These companies also usually offer lots of travel, too, as they have offices and work all over the world.

There's also the oilfield services companies like Baker Hughes, Schlumberger, Haliburton, Wood Group, Weatherford, Petrofac, Aker, FMC and the like. These will give engineering graduates more technical, design orientated work which will probably closer resemble university engineering. The big oilfield services companies are also global so you can work all over the world with them, too.

Then there's the utilities sector, with companies like EDF, E.ON, Scottish and Southern Energy, etc. Their salaries tend to be slightly lower than the above, but not everyone wants to work in oil - in fact it appears most don't, if the skills shortage is anything to go by.

There's also manufacturing and automotive. I know pretty much **** all about these companies so I won't say anything about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    The petroleum industry is generally offers the best salary for engineering graduates who want to continue working in engineering. So you're looking at the likes of BP, Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, Marathon, BG Group, Maersk Oil, Apache, Nexen, Talisman, ConocoPhillips, Saudi Aramco, Statoil, etc. - the companies that have licenses to explore and produce petroleum. These companies also usually offer lots of travel, too, as they have offices and work all over the world.

There's also the oilfield services companies like Baker Hughes, Schlumberger, Haliburton, Wood Group, Weatherford, Petrofac, Aker, FMC and the like. These will give engineering graduates more technical, design orientated work which will probably closer resemble university engineering. The big oilfield services companies are also global so you can work all over the world with them, too.

Then there's the utilities sector, with companies like EDF, E.ON, Scottish and Southern Energy, etc. Their salaries tend to be slightly lower than the above, but not everyone wants to work in oil - in fact it appears most don't, if the skills shortage is anything to go by.

There's also manufacturing and automotive. I know pretty much **** all about these companies so I won't say anything about them.

What would you say about defence industry? (e.g. AWE, Bae-Systems, QinetiQ... )
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    What would you say about defence industry? (e.g. AWE, Bae-Systems, QinetiQ... )
    I don't know anything about the defence industry, sorry. All that I know about is petroleum and energy.

You can check out Gradcracker - the careers website for engineering students. It lists companies by sector and often displays their starting salary. From a quick check on that it seems that defence is below petroleum (obviously) but many companies still pay well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I don't know anything about the defence industry, sorry. All that I know about is petroleum and energy.

You can check out Gradcracker - the careers website for engineering students. It lists companies by sector and often displays their starting salary. From a quick check on that it seems that defence is below petroleum (obviously) but many companies still pay well.
    what a great website! you made my day
    It will come quite handy when searching for a placement.
    Btw, is it possible to get a job in the IT sector as a mechanical engineer?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    what a great website! you made my day
    It will come quite handy when searching for a placement.
    Yeah, it's a really good website for getting a brief overview of a wide range of companies within different sectors.

Although I would advise, as with any website like that, that you do not rely solely on it, and that if you are looking for a placement you are better off networking and personally getting in touch with companies that you are interested in. With online applications it's always a bit of a lottery, and often they don't get read as HR will already have a suitably large pill of CVs kicking around.

Btw, is it possible to get a job in the IT sector as a mechanical engineer?
    Again, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Yeah, it's a really good website for getting a brief overview of a wide range of companies within different sectors.

Although I would advise, as with any website like that, that you do not rely solely on it, and that if you are looking for a placement you are better off networking and personally getting in touch with companies that you are interested in. With online applications it's always a bit of a lottery, and often they don't get read as HR will already have a suitably large pill of CVs kicking around.

Again, I don't know.
    + 1.

You don't want to be dealing with HR departments, they're usually full of morons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)

hey, can u help me decide between bp and fmc? like in the long run, which would provide better advantages?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by damilola)
    hey, can u help me decide between bp and fmc? like in the long run, which would provide better advantages?
    BP are one of the world's biggest oil companies with international opportunities and plenty of scope for offshore work and engineering in a wide variety of disciplines whereas FMC just make subsea equipment. Unless you really want to go into design and manufacture then I think it's a no-contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    BP are one of the world's biggest oil companies with international opportunities and plenty of scope for offshore work and engineering in a wide variety of disciplines whereas FMC just make subsea equipment. Unless you really want to go into design and manufacture then I think it's a no-contest.
    ok, to be more specific, a BP apprenticeship or an engineer of the future with FMC?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    ok, to be more specific, a BP apprenticeship or an engineer of the future with FMC?
    I'd definitely still go with BP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I'd definitely still go with BP.
    cheers man i didn't get the fmc one anyway where do u work? how do u know so much about oil and gas?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    cheers man i didn't get the fmc one anyway where do u work? how do u know so much about oil and gas?
    I've got some industry experience and have lived up here all my life too.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.