Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got all rejections from everywhere I have applied to, so provided I get three As I plan to have a gap year and reapply for medicine for 2012 entry.

For related work experience I already have a week work shadowing a cardiology consultant, a few months volunteering at a care home, volunteer work at Riding for the Disabled and 2 weeks working/work shadowing at at opticians. EDIT: I've also just applied to volunteer with Vitalise.

Some of the other things I mentioned in my personal statement or were included in my reference were the two paid jobs I have had, piano playing, running and swimming, drama clubs and plays I have been involved in, first aid course and my volunteer work as a teaching assistant in science lessons of year 7/8 pupils.

What can I do in my gap year to improve my application?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_XD)
    I've got all rejections from everywhere I have applied to, so provided I get three As I plan to have a gap year and reapply for medicine for 2012 entry.

For related work experience I already have a week work shadowing a cardiology consultant, a few months volunteering at a care home, volunteer work at Riding for the Disabled and 2 weeks working/work shadowing at at opticians.

Some of the other things I mentioned in my personal statement or were included in my reference were the two paid jobs I have had, piano playing, running and swimming, drama clubs and plays I have been involved in, first aid course and my volunteer work as a teaching assistant in science lessons of year 7/8 pupils.

Thanks
    Put your head down and really work hard for the coming months to make sure you get those grades! Good Luck,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aiboz)
    Put your head down and really work hard for the coming months to make sure you get those grades! Good Luck,
    I had the predicted grades this time around though and they didn't get me in. There must be some more things I can do :/

ReputationRep:

For related work experience I already have a week work shadowing a cardiology consultant, a few months volunteering at a care home, volunteer work at Riding for the Disabled and 2 weeks working/work shadowing at at opticians. EDIT: I've also just applied to volunteer with Vitalise.

Thanks
    What were your GCSEs, AS grades, UKCAT and where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    What were your GCSEs, AS grades, UKCAT and where did you apply?
    Aberdeen, UEA and Keele. GCSEs- 5 A*s, 3 As 2 Bs and a C. ASs BBBBC (I've now resat units) and UKCAT 630. I passed the academic screening at all of the universities though so that wasn't the problem. Not getting any interviews was the problem :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start volunteering on one of the wards at my local hospital when I have finished my exams too

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start volunteering on one of the wards at my local hospital when I have finished my exams too
    Get a job as a HCA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremybag)
    Get a job as a HCA.
    I'll try! Although I have been looking and there aren't any HCA jobs available at the hospitals around where I live at the minute.

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen, UEA and Keele. GCSEs- 5 A*s, 3 As 2 Bs and a C. ASs BBBBC (I've now resat units) and UKCAT 630. I passed the academic screening at all of the universities though so that wasn't the problem. Not getting any interviews was the problem :P
    I would imagine it was your UKCAT that slightly let you down for aberdeen, they seem to be using it more this year. Your GCSEs are good (better than mine), your AS grades arent so good but now that you have re sat them that will make a huge difference. Your UKCAT could be higher ... but you didnt really apply to UKCAT heavy med schools, so i would imagine that it was ultimately your PS that let you down.

So you should try and work on your PS .... make it personal and sell yourself and personality. Try to get loads of work experience as that will help so much and it helps to make a good PS.
    Work on your UKCAT and if you get a really good score then try applying to a UKCAT heavy med school (Manc, Newcastle, Barts, Sheffield). Get the UKCAT 600 Q book
    Also try applying to med shcool that place emphasis on interviews heavily (Manc, Peninsula, BSMS, St Georges etc) just try to produce a super strong are of your application and use it by applying to med schools that look on that bit highly. Try getting the ISC medical interview book as well .... its really good!
    Obviously though try to make your whole application as strong as you can.

You dont necessarily need to get a HCA/ Auxillary Nurse job as I didnt because i wanted to do lots of other work experience voluntary work instead which i personally think would look better than just HCA ... though would be great if you could do both.

If you want I can look at your PS and help?? If you want any more help im happy to be of assistance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    I would imagine it was your UKCAT that slightly let you down for aberdeen, they seem to be using it more this year. Your GCSEs are good (better than mine), your AS grades arent so good but now that you have re sat them that will make a huge difference. Your UKCAT could be higher ... but you didnt really apply to UKCAT heavy med schools, so i would imagine that it was ultimately your PS that let you down.

So you should try and work on your PS .... make it personal and sell yourself and personality. Try to get loads of work experience as that will help so much and it helps to make a good PS.
    Work on your UKCAT and if you get a really good score then try applying to a UKCAT heavy med school (Manc, Newcastle, Barts, Sheffield). Get the UKCAT 600 Q book
    Also try applying to med shcool that place emphasis on interviews heavily (Manc, Peninsula, BSMS, St Georges etc) just try to produce a super strong are of your application and use it by applying to med schools that look on that bit highly. Try getting the ISC medical interview book as well .... its really good!
    Obviously though try to make your whole application as strong as you can.

You dont necessarily need to get a HCA/ Auxillary Nurse job as I didnt because i wanted to do lots of other work experience voluntary work instead which i personally think would look better than just HCA ... though would be great if you could do both.

If you want I can look at your PS and help?? If you want any more help im happy to be of assistance.
    Thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    Staple a £50 note to the front.

ReputationRep:
    I got a place on the Vitalise vounteering thing so thats another weeks work experience at least

ReputationRep:
    I got a place on the Vitalise vounteering thing so thats another weeks work experience at least
    Thats great!! You will love it. Its such a great experience and you make such good friends!

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking for something less usual I could do and today someone suggested learning sign language which I think would be interesting. Would this make me stand out a bit more?

ReputationRep:
    Vitalise weeks are so amazing, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laura2701)
    Vitalise weeks are so amazing, I'm sure you will enjoy it!
    Yeah I'm going in July- looking forward to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatCookieOne)
    You have a lot of work experience/volunteering so I don't really think that's a problem. Of course doing more can't hurt though.
    I didn't have any work experience and I only volunteered at a hospice for a saturday a week for a few months but I think it was the way I talked about it in my PS that got me an offer. I really don't mean to sound big headed or anything and I know it's only one offer.
    I would advise you to focus on rewriting your PS. Avoid cliches, concentrate on what you've learned in your work experience and volunteering, why you want to do medicine, proof that you will be able to handle stress, proof of good people skills would also be good, mention any awards you've gotten, put down some skills you have that you feel would make you a good doctor and any other experiences that are relevant.
    Your UKCAT isn't that high either so you should aim to increase that. As someone said above, you should get the 600 UKCAT questions book to help you with that.

And after re reading that I realise I come off as an egotistical maniac flaunting my one single offer. I really don't mean to, that's just my advice
    Thanks for your reply I used all of the UKCAT books last time- I just found it really difficult, especially Abstract Reasoning! I think I should be able to improve it a bit though. I will try to re-write and improve my Personal Statement- just not sure how yet! I did try and focus on the right things in it.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Maybe do some volunteering abroad or get a part time job in a hospital. If that's not possible, just do lots of work experience in hospitals/doctor's surgeries etc, if you can. I think it's also viable to get yourself a part (or even full) time job, given the increase in fees, if that's a problem for you.

I'd also suggest aiming for an A* if you think it's possible; it should help to make your application stronger.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LornaSandison1)
    Maybe do some volunteering abroad or get a part time job in a hospital. If that's not possible, just do lots of work experience in hospitals/doctor's surgeries etc, if you can. I think it's also viable to get yourself a part (or even full) time job, given the increase in fees, if that's a problem for you.

I'd also suggest aiming for an A* if you think it's possible; it should help to make your application stronger.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice. I agree with you about the job- I'll definately be looking for a job in a hospital. Unfortunately though I don't thing it's going to be possible for me to get an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatCookieOne)
    Well you can look at my PS if you want
    And I found Abstract Reasoning really difficult too! I just wrote down a list of things to look for like the directions the arrows are pointing and the numbers of sides on the shapes. I've repressed most of my memory of the ukcat by now though
    Thanks! I'd really appreciate that. I don't blame you for trying to forget the bad UKCAT memories :P Thats one thing I'm not looking forward to!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.