Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_XD)
    Thanks for the advice. I agree with you about the job- I'll definately be looking for a job in a hospital. Unfortunately though I don't thing it's going to be possible for me to get an A*.
    No worries. I don't imagine it'll be a huge problem anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LornaSandison1)
    No worries. I don't imagine it'll be a huge problem anyway
    Hopefully not I'll be applying to universities that want AAA.

ReputationRep:
    Well for me it sounds like you got your academic and extra curriculars set. For me it feels like maybe you didn't perform your best at the interviews? As you said, getting the interviews wasn't the problem... In my case, I didn't have any hospital places, my UKCAT wasn't exceptional (662,5) and well the grades I have I guess are what is expected from any prospective medical student. I think that maybe you didn't express how you are as a person relating to all those you've experienced as well as you could have done? I know that for example the interview plays a huge role in Aberdeen for giving offers... I think in my case, what gave me the offers were how I performed during interviews and I think that maybe you should focus on that aspect of your application. I think that just mainly being yourself in an interview and knowing yourself very well should be enough to have a good interview, that's what I did anyway. I hope this helps somehow.

I'm sorry if I may sound arrogant or something, I'm just trying to help by comparing with my own application... Good luck next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filea)
    Well for me it sounds like you got your academic and extra curriculars set. For me it feels like maybe you didn't perform your best at the interviews? As you said, getting the interviews wasn't the problem... In my case, I didn't have any hospital places, my UKCAT wasn't exceptional (662,5) and well the grades I have I guess are what is expected from any prospective medical student. I think that maybe you didn't express how you are as a person relating to all those you've experienced as well as you could have done? I know that for example the interview plays a huge role in Aberdeen for giving offers... I think in my case, what gave me the offers were how I performed during interviews and I think that maybe you should focus on that aspect of your application. I think that just mainly being yourself in an interview and knowing yourself very well should be enough to have a good interview, that's what I did anyway. I hope this helps somehow.

I'm sorry if I may sound arrogant or something, I'm just trying to help by comparing with my own application... Good luck next year!
    Sorry if I was unclear, but I didn't get any interviews

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if I was unclear, but I didn't get any interviews
    Oh I'm sorry! Well then, I see that you have good academics as well as experience so I think that maybe your personal statement was the determining factor. Maybe you could've expressed yourself more as how are as a person in your personal statement, and how everything you've experienced so far in your life, has contributed to your destiny to become a doctor. If you just get so many different extra curriculars and never really say what it meant to you and how it contributed to your dream then But I haven't read your personal statement so I'm not sure if I'm one to say anything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filea)
    Oh I'm sorry! Well then, I see that you have good academics as well as experience so I think that maybe your personal statement was the determining factor. Maybe you could've expressed yourself more as how are as a person in your personal statement, and how everything you've experienced so far in your life, has contributed to your destiny to become a doctor. If you just get so many different extra curriculars and never really say what it meant to you and how it contributed to your dream then But I haven't read your personal statement so I'm not sure if I'm one to say anything...
    Thanks for your advice- I'll just have to work on improving my personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan118244)
    I would imagine it was your UKCAT that slightly let you down for aberdeen, they seem to be using it more this year. Your GCSEs are good (better than mine), your AS grades arent so good but now that you have re sat them that will make a huge difference. Your UKCAT could be higher ... but you didnt really apply to UKCAT heavy med schools, so i would imagine that it was ultimately your PS that let you down.

So you should try and work on your PS .... make it personal and sell yourself and personality. Try to get loads of work experience as that will help so much and it helps to make a good PS.
    Work on your UKCAT and if you get a really good score then try applying to a UKCAT heavy med school (Manc, Newcastle, Barts, Sheffield). Get the UKCAT 600 Q book
    Also try applying to med shcool that place emphasis on interviews heavily (Manc, Peninsula, BSMS, St Georges etc) just try to produce a super strong are of your application and use it by applying to med schools that look on that bit highly. Try getting the ISC medical interview book as well .... its really good!
    Obviously though try to make your whole application as strong as you can.

You dont necessarily need to get a HCA/ Auxillary Nurse job as I didnt because i wanted to do lots of other work experience voluntary work instead which i personally think would look better than just HCA ... though would be great if you could do both.

If you want I can look at your PS and help?? If you want any more help im happy to be of assistance.
    Could I take you up on that offer of personal statement help? I'm sure it can be improved but I'm just not sure how exactly to do that

ReputationRep:
    Could I take you up on that offer of personal statement help? I'm sure it can be improved but I'm just not sure how exactly to do that
    You sure can. If you want to send it and I will look at it tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Hi! From the posts I read, getting your grades probably are your top priority.

I was in a similar position to you before. I didn't receive any offers from the first application.

I re-edited and reflected quite a lot on my personal statement and it helped a ton. I realized that my first personal statement really didn't showcase what I did or who I was as a person.

Worst my first words were "Honestly, I didn't want to do medicine". (found out later that using Honestly is pretty much one of the biggest mistakes you can have in a personal statement URGH!)

Also, make sure you spend time preparing for your interview too!

ReputationRep:
    I've got all rejections from everywhere I have applied to, so provided I get three As I plan to have a gap year and reapply for medicine for 2012 entry.

For related work experience I already have a week work shadowing a cardiology consultant, a few months volunteering at a care home, volunteer work at Riding for the Disabled and 2 weeks working/work shadowing at at opticians. EDIT: I've also just applied to volunteer with Vitalise.

Some of the other things I mentioned in my personal statement or were included in my reference were the two paid jobs I have had, piano playing, running and swimming, drama clubs and plays I have been involved in, first aid course and my volunteer work as a teaching assistant in science lessons of year 7/8 pupils.

What can I do in my gap year to improve my application?

Thanks
    Well as others have said right now the most important thing to do is concentrate on your grades. You could get a little more work experience by sending out letters to your local GPs, they tend to be easier to get work experience at. Its not essential though, certainly helpful though. You could possibly do teaching at your school or something as I did, and maybe apply for Healthcare assistant posts for your gap year as I did. If your UKCAT was not very good then make sure you put in some real practice, like maybe 3 weeks before hand - It improved mine from 640 to 712.5.

The important thing is to work hard and believe you can get in if you have the commitment. I didn't get in last year, improved my work experience, UKCAT and worked as a HCA and tutored at my school, so far have had offer from Durham and interview from Kings EMDP. If you had an interview this year then learn from what went wrong. And make sure you can really relate all your experiences, even the ones not directly related to medicine, to why you want to be a doctor and how it has helped you develop skills that are important in a medicinal career such as team working, communication skills, organisation and interpersonal skills.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the other things I mentioned in my personal statement or were included in my reference were the two paid jobs I have had, piano playing, running and swimming, drama clubs and plays I have been involved in, first aid course and my volunteer work as a teaching assistant in science lessons of year 7/8 pupils.

What can I do in my gap year to improve my application?

Thanks

I'm a vet applicant, so I would guess what I found real important for my personal statement would probably apply for you as well. Theres just a few areas/skills that you may not have covered in your PS from the brief description you gave:

time management,
    ability to work under pressure,
    ability to work in a team (have you considered a team sport?),
    public speaking (were you an actor or backstage crew in drama?),
    responsibility,
    motor skills (piano should cover this as long as you got some grades),
    dedication (long term work exp, hobby or a skill),

You may well of linked these points to your work experience, jobs or hobbies, but if not its worth some thought.

One final thing I would consider is if putting running & swimming down would benefit your PS? Obviously if you compete at a reasonable level or have achieved something special then definitely include it. But if you just run & swim once a week I would doubt if this will benefit you as an applicant. Just think how many people go to a gym, run a 5k or 10k for charity etc. You want to make your PS stand out, so include things that most people haven't done. Don't waste the few words you have on stuff that won't make them notice & remember you.

Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of it, it's not quantity of work experience/volunteering that is letting you down. Are you actually getting anything out of this time? Did you reflect on it successfully in your application and appropriately relate it to medicine? There is no point just getting a shopping list of experience if it teaches you nothing.

Spend more time on your UKCAT. A 630 isn't going to make anything easier for you.

Get a job as a HCA. Easier said than done, yes, but it will be more worthwhile than volunteering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RectalExamination)
    Well as others have said right now the most important thing to do is concentrate on your grades. You could get a little more work experience by sending out letters to your local GPs, they tend to be easier to get work experience at. Its not essential though, certainly helpful though. You could possibly do teaching at your school or something as I did, and maybe apply for Healthcare assistant posts for your gap year as I did. If your UKCAT was not very good then make sure you put in some real practice, like maybe 3 weeks before hand - It improved mine from 640 to 712.5.

The important thing is to work hard and believe you can get in if you have the commitment. I didn't get in last year, improved my work experience, UKCAT and worked as a HCA and tutored at my school, so far have had offer from Durham and interview from Kings EMDP. If you had an interview this year then learn from what went wrong. And make sure you can really relate all your experiences, even the ones not directly related to medicine, to why you want to be a doctor and how it has helped you develop skills that are important in a medicinal career such as team working, communication skills, organisation and interpersonal skills.

Good luck.
    Well done on your offer I wrote to about 20 GPs- they all ignored me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OJHW)
    I'm a vet applicant, so I would guess what I found real important for my personal statement would probably apply for you as well. Theres just a few areas/skills that you may not have covered in your PS from the brief description you gave:

time management,
    ability to work under pressure,
    ability to work in a team (have you considered a team sport?),
    public speaking (were you an actor or backstage crew in drama?),
    responsibility,
    motor skills (piano should cover this as long as you got some grades),
    dedication (long term work exp, hobby or a skill),

You may well of linked these points to your work experience, jobs or hobbies, but if not its worth some thought.

One final thing I would consider is if putting running & swimming down would benefit your PS? Obviously if you compete at a reasonable level or have achieved something special then definitely include it. But if you just run & swim once a week I would doubt if this will benefit you as an applicant. Just think how many people go to a gym, run a 5k or 10k for charity etc. You want to make your PS stand out, so include things that most people haven't done. Don't waste the few words you have on stuff that won't make them notice & remember you.

Best of luck.
    Thanks for the advice I have run in cross country and represented my town but you make a good point. I will definately reconsider the swimming bit. I only included them to show I did extra-curriculars.

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your offer I wrote to about 20 GPs- they all ignored me.
    Thanks, as you can imagine im very happy about it Call them to follow it up then, you just have to be proactive, and write to GPs that may be a little wider out. Like I said make sure you concentrate on your grades and then UKCAT, add as much experience and useful activities during your gap year. If you want later on I would be willing to help you with your statement, but concentrate on grades first.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.