Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on my future prospects!

I am about to begin my final year of study a BSc Open (Honours) from the Open University, and I am on target to get a First.

I would like to eventually end up studying medicine, but in the mean time I am considering undertaking a Research Masters and then a PhD. (in Immunology and Infectious Disease, preferably)

Does anybody know if there is a limit to the possible number of applications made to a single medical school (for example 2 years in a row, 3, 4 or more?)

I currently don't have any A levels however, I have extensive work experience in a care based, medical setting. And will be doing more over the course of my study!

The question I'm really asking is, would it be beneficial to apply to medicine courses for 2012 entry as well as applying to MRes courses, or do you think that because I lack the necessary A level, I should continue along my research course until my PhD and then apply?

I eventually hope to end up in a Clinical Research setting after a few years as a hospital doctor (which means I would need to do a MBBS (or equivalent) and then an MSc and then a MD)

I know it sounds like a great deal of work but I can undertake it.
    Any opinions you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Carl

ReputationRep:
    I only know about St Andrews, they let you try again once, but after that 'your application will no longer be considered'

ReputationRep:
    Also Check uni's. UCL won't take OU qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    UEA will only accept two years in a row. But before you apply you should carefully check all the requirements you need for each uni, including whether they'll take you with no A levels.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.