Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Could someone please help me with part b in the following question please:

The parametric equations of the curve C are

x = 2t + 1, y = t^2 + 3.

- Show that the tangent to C at the point P with parameter p has equation

px - y = p^2 + p - 3. Ok, I've done this one. :P

- The tangent to C at the point P passes through the point (2, -3). Given that the point P is in the second quadrant, find the equation of the tangent.

I am really confused here. Ummm.. What is the second quadrant firstly? Also dont I already have the equation of the tangent in part a therefore would I just plug in the numbers?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew2010)
    Hi,

x = 2t + 1, y = t^2 + 3.

- The tangent to C at the point P passes through the point (2, -3). Given that the point P is in the second quadrant, find the equation of the tangent.

I am really confused here. Ummm.. What is the second quadrant firstly? Also dont I already have the equation of the tangent in part a therefore would I just plug in the numbers?

You do indeed just bung the numbers into your previous expression. you should get a quadratic in p, which you presumably can solve to find two alternative values of p (i haven't done this yet, but it would seem the easiest way forward). You then use the fact that P is in the second quadrant. The four quadrants of a graph are the four separate areas the axes divide the x-y plane into. If you call the one in the top right Q1, and then label them by going around anti-clockwise, then you have a number for each quadrant. so q2 is the one where x is negative and y is positive. using this info, you should be able to work out which value of p is the one you want, and thus find your equation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew2010)
    Hi,

x = 2t + 1, y = t^2 + 3.

The x and y axis of coordinate system divide the plane to four
    quadrant. For the points of the first quadrant the two coordinates are positive.
    For the second the x cordinate of any point is negative and the y is positive.
    It is your case.
    Substitute the given coordinates into the equation of the tangent.
    You get the values of parameter p for the point P.
    Calculate the x and y coordinate of P, and check wether is in the 2nd quadrant.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.