Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the process of applying for a private school 6th form Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok well, I start college next year, and I am applying to Cheltenham Girls 6th form, and Kings school Canterbury 6th form, I am applying for bursary for both 6th forms.
    I sent an email to Kings school asking when I should send in a bursary form, and the person replied that I should send it in A.S.A.P, so I'm going to ask my mom to phone up the school to phone up the school to ask for a bursary form.
    But I haven't applied yet, shpuld I paply to the school first before I get any bursary form?
    And also, if I'm applying to both schools then can I apply for bursary for both schools?

Also I don't understand, don't you need to take your GCSE's before applying for a college? or is it different with private school 6th forms? I am in the process of taking my year 10 gcses but I'm not finnished so how does that work??

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Cheltenham last year for Sixth Form; got an offer but didn't accept it. May I ask why you are only considering these two schools?

Yes, I would advise you to send in your application details before obtaining the bursary forms, as the forms will usually arrive afterwards if you express interest in applying for a bursary. And yes, you can apply for bursaries at both schools. If you want further financial aid, you can also apply for scholarships.

Well, most schools accept you based on their own interviews and entrance examinations and a report from your school/mock results. The offer they give you is usually conditional, for example upon achieving 6 As. I'm not sure about King's School Canterbury but CLC had two dates for examinations: November and February (scholarship applicants could only sit the November ones; I'm not sure about bursary applicants). I would advise you to sit the November examinations as they give out a big portion of offers then.

Good luck with your applications.

ReputationRep:
    [Double post sorry.]

ReputationRep:
    I went to Wolverhampton Grammar, (which plays Cheltenham Girls twice a year at netball I believe :P) and to apply I had to ring up and get an application, then on the form there was a section where you tick which bursaries and scholarships you want to apply for. I believe after that they send out a bursary and scholarship form.... but I didn't apply for any so can't be sure. Good Luck anyway! Hope you get in and get the bursaries you apply for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caustica)
    I applied to Cheltenham last year for Sixth Form; got an offer but didn't accept it. May I ask why you are only considering these two schools?

Yes, I would advise you to send in your application details before obtaining the bursary forms, as the forms will usually arrive afterwards if you express interest in applying for a bursary. And yes, you can apply for bursaries at both schools. If you want further financial aid, you can also apply for scholarships.

Well, most schools accept you based on their own interviews and entrance examinations and a report from your school/mock results. The offer they give you is usually conditional, for example upon achieving 6 As. I'm not sure about King's School Canterbury but CLC had two dates for examinations: November and February (scholarship applicants could only sit the November ones; I'm not sure about bursary applicants). I would advise you to sit the November examinations as they give out a big portion of offers then.

Good luck with your applications.
    What are the entrance exams like in CLC? I know you take an exam in the subjects you are going to study at A-level, but what if you have no previous studying in the subjects you want to study in 6th form?
    Because I mean I want to do:
    Design technology
    ? Art and design/ applied art
    ? English
    ? Science (physics)
    Courses, but I don't think a design technology exam is possible?
    Can you tell me your experiences please? I would really appreciate the help.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tay5)
    What are the entrance exams like in CLC? I know you take an exam in the subjects you are going to study at A-level, but what if you have no previous studying in the subjects you want to study in 6th form?
    Because I mean I want to do:
    Design technology
    ? Art and design/ applied art
    ? English
    ? Science (physics)
    Courses, but I don't think a design technology exam is possible?
    Can you tell me your experiences please? I would really appreciate the help.
    Thanks
    The entrance exams last one hour each. Well, there are some subjects such as Economics which most schools don't offer at GCSE so they definitely don't expect prior knowledge for them. I did an exam in Religious Studies, and even though I don't currently study the subject in GCSE it was alright (had to write two essays out of a list of choices). It depends on what subjects you want to do though (I imagine for Physics no prior knowledge would be disastrous...).

I'm not sure if CLC offer Design Technology... you should check their site to be sure. Also, they don't offer applied Art, just Art and Design. The English they offer will be Literature, not Language.

I sat the exams in CLC in early November, with four exams on one day. If you apply for a scholarship then you'll need to have interviews for every subject and one general interview with the headmistress; so your exams/interviews will take place over two days. It was a pleasant experience, and we were offered drinks in between. People went off in groups to different houses to eat lunch and there was some time spare so the group of people I went with also did a tour around one of the houses.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a private secondary school, but I'm in a state sixthform.

From what I know of my friends in my old school, they applied on a form, that they asked for, on which they said whether they wanted a scholarship, bursary, or if they were paying. Then if they wanted a scholarship then they took one exam, if they didn't then just their GCSE results were taken into account, along with a essay, and interview!

Hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    The entrance exams last one hour each. Well, there are some subjects such as Economics which most schools don't offer at GCSE so they definitely don't expect prior knowledge for them. I did an exam in Religious Studies, and even though I don't currently study the subject in GCSE it was alright (had to write two essays out of a list of choices). It depends on what subjects you want to do though (I imagine for Physics no prior knowledge would be disastrous...).

I'm not sure if CLC offer Design Technology... you should check their site to be sure. Also, they don't offer applied Art, just Art and Design. The English they offer will be Literature, not Language.

I sat the exams in CLC in early November, with four exams on one day. If you apply for a scholarship then you'll need to have interviews for every subject and one general interview with the headmistress; so your exams/interviews will take place over two days. It was a pleasant experience, and we were offered drinks in between. People went off in groups to different houses to eat lunch and there was some time spare so the group of people I went with also did a tour around one of the houses.
    Thanks so much for the information! But what do you mean by we'll have interviews for every subject? Do you mean every subject you chose for your a-levels?

Thanks again =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tay5)
    Thanks so much for the information! But what do you mean by we'll have interviews for every subject? Do you mean every subject you chose for your a-levels?

Thanks again =]
    Yeapp. So if you choose four subjects, then you'll have an interview for each of those and an extra general interview; five in total. But if you don't apply for scholarships you don't need an interview at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeapp. So if you choose four subjects, then you'll have an interview for each of those and an extra general interview; five in total. But if you don't apply for scholarships you don't need an interview at all.
    Thanks! for all your help everyone =]

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.
    I'm applying to Cheltenham as well, along with a scholarship. I was wondering, would applying for a scholarship reduce/hinder my chances of getting in?

Also, are the entrance exam's similiar for Cheltenham College? (Co-ed one) as they're brother/sister schools.

A reply would be much appreciated!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.