Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so this is the list of preliminary reading I have been told to look at:

Culture and Power Module
    • Eriksen T.H. 2001.
    Small places, large issues: an introduction to social and cultural anthropology (2nd ed). London: Pluto.
    • MacClancy J. (ed) 2002.
    Exotic no more: anthropology on the frontlines. Chicago UP.
    • Pocock D. 1998.
    Understanding social anthropology. London: Athlone Press.

Culture and Society Module
    • Erikson, T.H. (1995)
    Small places, large issues: an introduction to social and cultural anthropology. London: Pluto Press
    • Hendry, J. (1999)
    An introduction to social anthropology: other people’s worlds London: MacMillan
    • Kuper, A. (1983)
    Anthropology and anthropologists: the modern British School. London: Routledge
    • Peacock, J. (1986)
    The anthropological lens. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
    • Lewis, I. (1985)
    Social anthropology in perspective. Cambridge University Press
    • Borowsky, R. (1994)
    Assessing anthropology New York: McGraw Hill
    • Layton, R. (1997)
    An introduction to theory in anthropology Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
    • Ingold, T. (2000)
    The perception of the environment: essays on livelihood, dwelling and skill. London: Routledge
    • Low, S M and D Lawrence-Zuniga (eds) 2003.
    The Anthropology of Space and Place: Locating Culture. Malden, MA; Oxford: Blackwell

Engaging with Social Research
    • Bryman, Alan (2008) (3rd edition)
    Social Research Methods, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
    • Gilbert, Nigel, ed. (2008)
    Researching Social Life, (3rd edition), London: Sage

Could anybody help me with which books are good and worth buying just for reading during the summer. I have been told to read up on the course modules that will be taught first but I have absolutely no clue which ones to get... can anybody help me :confused:

I would be very grateful xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olaiah1990)
    Okay so this is the list of preliminary reading I have been told to look at:

Culture and Power Module
    • Eriksen T.H. 2001.
    Small places, large issues: an introduction to social and cultural anthropology (2nd ed). London: Pluto.
    • MacClancy J. (ed) 2002.
    Exotic no more: anthropology on the frontlines. Chicago UP.
    • Pocock D. 1998.
    Understanding social anthropology. London: Athlone Press.

Culture and Society Module
    • Erikson, T.H. (1995)
    Small places, large issues: an introduction to social and cultural anthropology. London: Pluto Press
    • Hendry, J. (1999)
    An introduction to social anthropology: other people’s worlds London: MacMillan
    • Kuper, A. (1983)
    Anthropology and anthropologists: the modern British School. London: Routledge
    • Peacock, J. (1986)
    The anthropological lens. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
    • Lewis, I. (1985)
    Social anthropology in perspective. Cambridge University Press
    • Borowsky, R. (1994)
    Assessing anthropology New York: McGraw Hill
    • Layton, R. (1997)
    An introduction to theory in anthropology Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
    • Ingold, T. (2000)
    The perception of the environment: essays on livelihood, dwelling and skill. London: Routledge
    • Low, S M and D Lawrence-Zuniga (eds) 2003.
    The Anthropology of Space and Place: Locating Culture. Malden, MA; Oxford: Blackwell

Engaging with Social Research
    • Bryman, Alan (2008) (3rd edition)
    Social Research Methods, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
    • Gilbert, Nigel, ed. (2008)
    Researching Social Life, (3rd edition), London: Sage

Could anybody help me with which books are good and worth buying just for reading during the summer. I have been told to read up on the course modules that will be taught first but I have absolutely no clue which ones to get... can anybody help me :confused:

I would be very grateful xx
    I know one person on this course at the moment and one starting in 2011, happy to put them in contact with you if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that would be great thanx =) x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.