Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jhyzone)
    How you feeling about the exam? I see you decided to go for Warwick - good choice!
    What grades do you need?
    Sorry late reply didn't see the quote! I just need ABB so I'm pretty sure I'll get it but I really want an A in Biology!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srikmeister)
    I have a question:

Can someone please help me with homeobox genes and apoptosis. I am clueless as I don't understand these at all so I hope somebody could help me. Thank you!
    Keep calm and breathe lol.

Homeotic genes are similar in plants, animals and fungi. They control the development of body plans and are expressed in specific patterns in particular sequences of development depending on when they are activated.

Homeobox genes are a short length of DNA that code for around 60 amino acids. They are found in most, if not all eukaryotes. This section binds to DNA to regulate transcription.

In animals, homeobox genes are concerned with segmentation, establishment of anterior-posterior axis and the activation of genes involving the development of body parts such as limbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    Keep calm and breathe lol.

Homeotic genes are similar in plants, animals and fungi. They control the development of body plans and are expressed in specific patterns in particular sequences of development depending on when they are activated.

Homeobox genes are a short length of DNA that code for around 60 amino acids. They are found in most, if not all eukaryotes. This section binds to DNA to regulate transcription.

In animals, homeobox genes are concerned with segmentation, establishment of anterior-posterior axis and the activation of genes involving the development of body parts such as limbs.
    THANKS! I have heard from a lot of people that this could come up..... so ideally, it would be a good idea to learn it before the exam.

Good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    this exam is making it difficult to sleep tonight ahhh module 1 should be the focus as it was'nt in jan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srikmeister)
    Muchos gracias senorita I have not understood this until today....and i have you to thank. Good luck tomorrow!
    You're more than welcome! Thankyou Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    what techniques have people learnt for immobilising enzymes?

ReputationRep:
    What other vectors, other than bacterial plasmids, can fragments of DNA be incorporated into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aquarius00)
    what techniques have people learnt for immobilising enzymes?
    MECA
    Membrane seperation
    Entrapment
    Covalent bonding
    Adsorption

ReputationRep:
    heellpp..what part of brain controls somatic nervous system? i know automatic is controlled by combination of hypothalamus (sympathetic in fight or flight) and medulla oblongata!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinkles)
    What other vectors, other than bacterial plasmids, can fragments of DNA be incorporated into?
    Viral DNA e.g. bacteriophages
    Hybrid vectors with properties of both plasmid and bacteriophages
    Liposomes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinkles)
    virus genomes or yeast cell chromosomes:

plasmids should have regulatory DNA sequences to ensure that inserted gene is transcribed in host cell!

ReputationRep:
    Someone summarise the three types of muscles with structure and function please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suren_x)
    Synapse
    Neurotransimtter : Noradrenaline/Various
    Smooth presynaptic membrane
    More postsynaptic receptors
    Action potential is not always amplified. I.e. if the stimulus is weak it will not excite the postsynaptic membrane to the threshold level

Neuromucular Junction
    Neurotransmitter : Acetylcholine
    Has clefts on the presynaptic membrane
    Fewer postsynaptic receptors
    The muscle will always contract
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bambinooo)
    heellpp..what part of brain controls somatic nervous system? i know automatic is controlled by combination of hypothalamus (sympathetic in fight or flight) and medulla oblongata!!!!
    well.. motor areas in the cerebral cortex send impulses to effectors (voluntary muscles/glands) for muscular movements. So maybe the cerebrum/cerebral cortex does?

ReputationRep:
    What are the chances innate and learned behaviour come up?

ReputationRep:
    2357 posts. wow. ive pretty much read every single one and im still not ready for this exam

ReputationRep:
    biology is seriously driving me up the wall.

ReputationRep:
    For the brain do we need to know all the different areas in the cerebrum like the motor area, visual area, auditory area etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susan23)
    biology is seriously driving me up the wall.
    Thigmotropically? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoventryCity)
    For the brain do we need to know all the different areas in the cerebrum like the motor area, visual area, auditory area etc.
    I dont think so

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.