Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Don't with that attitude I ended up with a D at first... don't ever let genetics overwhelm you. =)
    Did you check my previous post ?
    I know but I can't do it I really can't!!! Ive tried so hard to understand it and it wont go in! Dont know what to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    I know but I can't do it I really can't!!! Ive tried so hard to understand it and it wont go in! Dont know what to do!
    I had this problem, but I didn't complain like a ****. I worked for 7 hours solidly to understand the concepts. It's pretty easy and once you get it you will be like WTF was the problem.

If the genes are not linked, then when meiosis takes place you can a varierty of different alleles in the Gametes, however if the genes are on the same chromosome you have to be careful i.e linkage

I suggest you look at the stages of meiosis, understand what a gene/allele is, understand what a chromatid and bivalent is... and you will be okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J DOT A)
    I had this problem, but I didn't complain like a ****. I worked for 7 hours solidly to understand the concepts. It's pretty easy and once you get it you will be like WTF was the problem.

If the genes are not linked, then when meiosis takes place you can a varierty of different alleles in the Gametes, however if the genes are on the same chromosome you have to be careful i.e linkage

I suggest you look at the stages of meiosis, understand what a gene/allele is, understand what a chromatid and bivalent is... and you will be okay.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sorry for expressing my distress And I do understand the stages of meosis, I could recite it right now, but its genetic crosses that get me LOL. I sound so stupid because everyone I know can do them...apart from me :mad:

Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit confused with the way they work out what insulin has taken up the recombinant plasmids.

On the diagram in the book on page 179 it says that all colonies grow on the ampicillin but in the text it says some cells are transferred on to the ampicillin agar so only those that have taken up the plasmid grow?

I thought all colonies would grow on ampicilin & only those that haven't taken up the plasmid grow on tetracycline? Or am I just misunderstanding this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    I'm a bit confused with the way they work out what insulin has taken up the recombinant plasmids.

On the diagram in the book on page 179 it says that all colonies grow on the ampicillin but in the text it says some cells are transferred on to the ampicillin agar so only those that have taken up the plasmid grow?

I thought all colonies would grow on ampicilin & only those that haven't taken up the plasmid grow on tetracycline? Or am I just misunderstanding this?
    the plasmid that they try to insert the insulin gene into contains two resistance genes, one for ampicilin and the other for tetracycline. the restriction enzymes they choose cut the plasmid open in the middle of the tetracycline gene, so the tetracycline gene doesn't work anymore.
    so bacteria that have taken up the insulin plasmid will only grow on ampicilin.
    they grow all bacteria on agar plates to start with, until colonies form, and then use 'replica plating' to identify which colonies are which.
    so they'll transfer a bit of a colonie to tetracycline plate and if it grows, it has the unchanged plasmid. they do the same with ampicillin and keep track of each colonie to identify them.

you get 3 types of bacteria: bacteria with insulin plasmid, bacteria with original plasmid and bacteria that have not taken up a plasmid.
    the 1st will only grow on ampicillin, the 2nd on both, and the 3rd on neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilsea05)
    the plasmid that they try to insert the insulin gene into contains two resistance genes, one for ampicilin and the other for tetracycline. the restriction enzymes they choose cut the plasmid open in the middle of the tetracycline gene, so the tetracycline gene doesn't work anymore.
    so bacteria that have taken up the insulin plasmid will only grow on ampicilin.
    they grow all bacteria on agar plates to start with, until colonies form, and then use 'replica plating' to identify which colonies are which.
    so they'll transfer a bit of a colonie to tetracycline plate and if it grows, it has the unchanged plasmid. they do the same with ampicillin and keep track of each colonie to identify them.

you get 3 types of bacteria: bacteria with insulin plasmid, bacteria with original plasmid and bacteria that have not taken up a plasmid.
    the 1st will only grow on ampicillin, the 2nd on both, and the 3rd on neither.
    Ahh, so when it says only those that have taken up the plasmid grow, it means the recombinant plasmid OR a plasmid that hasn't taken up the gene. Makes sense now, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 182blink)
    Yayy Thanks alot!!!!
    I was wondering if you could post the markscheme???

(Original post by TobeTheHero)
    THANK YOU! I will analyse this paper rigorously ! >D

(Original post by Tobia_s)
    Thanks a lot. You're a lifesaver
    It's alright guys I've got the MS as well but its file size is too big to upload it here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportycricketer)
    Jan 2011 Paper
    F215 Jan 11 mark scheme.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Sorry for expressing my distress And I do understand the stages of meosis, I could recite it right now, but its genetic crosses that get me LOL. I sound so stupid because everyone I know can do them...apart from me :mad:

Thanks though
    You just need to learn the process for doing a genetic diagram. And do lots of practise. Once you get your head round it, its really just going through the motions of it - but it can be a bit confusing. Make sure you write down the parents gametes, and make sure you understand what phenotypes correspond to which genotypes for each question. And just learn how to do the punnet square and you should be fine

It doesn't matter if you don't really understand it for this, as long as you memorise the process, you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    If anyone wants January 2011 F215 paper... i wish i had june tooo
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf f215jan11.pdf (172.8 KB, 148 views)

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone go over the the main points of habituation and give a example

I get operant conditioning with Pavlov's dogs and how the conditoned response is tied with a new stimulus ie the bell but, habituation confuses me and is it linked to primate society behaviour bit in the end too ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conz_soappy)

I get operant conditioning with Pavlov's dogs and how the conditoned response is tied with a new stimulus ie the bell but, habituation confuses me and is it linked to primate society behaviour bit in the end too ?
    It's basically when an animal/organism starts to ignore a particular stimulus because it doesn't provide the animal with any reward or punishment. It doesn't need to carry out any escape reflexes meaning it doesn't waste energy and doesn't remain in shock.
    An example of this could be how the birds overtime start to ignore scarecrows as they realise they dont do anything to them.
    Another example is how people living near the railway line get used to the trains coming and going and don't get disturbed while sleeping by it.

Hope this explains the query

ReputationRep:
    what should i revise?

ReputationRep:
    How much as everyone still got to revise? I'm going to do some f215 later! Got so many exams arghhhh. I'm nowhere near finished revising for f215

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conz_soappy)

Habituation refers to the recognition of a common stimulus, as well as recognising it imposes no threat or danger to the mammal. For example, the scare crow and the birds, At first the birds would recognise the scarecrow as a threat but as they start getting closer and closer to the scarecrow they would realise it imposes no danger and therefore habituation is established. And the primate part at the end is not linked to habituation really. Its just referring to primates ability too communicate and look after each other I.e. Grooming to remove any parasites which could lead to disease and the spread of this disease within the group.

ReputationRep:
    This unit is so difficult.... need a C in this unit... I think years exam will be focused on Cellular control and genes (PCR, PROBES, ELECTROPHORESIS & GENE THERAPY).....

where you guys up to with your revision?

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain the species concept to me please? i don't understand the whole phylogenetic concept with all that monophyletic, cladistics marlarky

ReputationRep:
    if you get through genetics then everything else is pretty much easy onwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenford)
    This unit is so difficult.... need a C in this unit... I think years exam will be focused on Cellular control and genes (PCR, PROBES, ELECTROPHORESIS & GENE THERAPY).....

where you guys up to with your revision?
    need 150/150

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have a copy of the paper from January for this module?

EDIT:
    If anyone wants January 2011 F215 paper... i wish i had june tooo
    YOU COMPLETE STAR!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.