Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazel92)
    Lastly, how do you explain the genetic drifts?
    I also need to know (methods of sampling, succession, what affects population size, competitions, sustainability and conservation.. ) <-- that, i haven't gone over.
    Genetic drift - can be explained because certain selection pressures in an environment will mean that natural selection will occur - better adapted individuals more likely to survive and pass on their favourable characteristic to offspring - therefore the frequency of this favourable allele will increase in the population over time.

I think that's it

ReputationRep:
    i just found this thread , can someone tell me whats been discussed, that is likely to come up? it would be very much appreciated.

Things i havent revised:

Golden ****ing rice.
    Gene therapy
    DRD4 dopamine < that came up last year so i cant be bothered.

Should i be worried i havent done these?

ReputationRep:
    Hardy Weinburg anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralphus J)
    i just found this thread , can someone tell me whats been discussed, that is likely to come up? it would be very much appreciated.

Things i havent revised:

Golden ****ing rice.
    Gene therapy

You can lose 35 marks and still be confident of the 120 /150 UMS The grade boundaries are going to be low as some candidates never learn the examination techniques and write too little or too much and hence don't fulfil their potential...read the examiners reports and you will be quite suprised to know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duskflower)
    Genetic drift - can be explained because certain selection pressures in an environment will mean that natural selection will occur - better adapted individuals more likely to survive and pass on their favourable characteristic to offspring - therefore the frequency of this favourable allele will increase in the population over time.

I think that's it
    I thought genetic drift was when a certain allele is passed on simple by chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intellectual1)
    because the jan11 papers are for people retaking...they set the jun papers knowing the entire country is takin it...

i went through the past papers...jun10 had lot of Module 1...
    jan11 had alot of Module 2..

jun11 most likely will feature more Module 1 than Module 2

a third of the marks in both papers were based on the Module 3 and 4

Good luck everyone! Remember it is just 40 marks to pass, and 60 marks to gain your A grade! Grade boundaries tend to be low on this paper, as not everyone has the photographic memory to know the entire specification...

SYNOPTIC LINKS

MITOSIS F211
    ENZYMES F212
    DNA STRUCTURE OF NUCLEIC ACIDS F212
    BIODIVERSITY CLASSIFICATION F212
    RESPIRATION F214
    NERVES AND HORMONES F214
    But they might do a switch around and base 1/3 on 1 or 2 and the rest on either 3/4 ?? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    In the heinemann book on 2.1 spread 8, in the process of prophase 1 what does it mean by
    'each pair consists of one maternal and one paternal chromosome'

From the diagram it seems that each consists of either two maternal or two paternal chromosome, I don't understand!
    Please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoventryCity)
    What do we need to know about muscle bar the sarcomere/sliding filament model
    ----------------------Description-----------------------Function
    Smooth Muscle ---------------------------------- Involuntary, in arterioles constricting
    Cardiac------------------------------------- --- Heart muscle, described as myogenic
    Skeletal------------Striated-------------------------Voluntary/conscious

Can someone fill the rest of that table in adding/taking out incorrect stuff and tell me what other things we need to know on muscle apart from the sliding filament
    any help^

ReputationRep:

Things i havent revised:

Golden ****ing rice.
    Gene therapy

Just know that in Golden Rice, a gene for vitamin A from a daffodil is inserted into rice. This rice is a source of vitamin A for people with malnutrition.

Gene therapy are techniques of genetic technology to treat genetic disorders.

And DRD4 is just a receptor which is specific to dopeamine causing 'erratic behaviour', if there are too many of them. EG Schizophrenia

--- Predictions wise, don't have a clue, so if anyone wants to help....?

ReputationRep:
    You can lose 35 marks and still be confident of the 120 /150 UMS The grade boundaries are going to be low as some candidates never learn the examination techniques and write too little or too much and hence don't fulfil their potential...read the examiners reports and you will be quite suprised to know
    Thanks for the reassurance

ReputationRep:
    Where can I look over the specification, anyone?

& how is everyone feeling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoventryCity)
    I thought genetic drift was when a certain allele is passed on simple by chance?
    My bad. I'm getting confused with directional selection. That does not bode well for the exam -

sorry guys

ReputationRep:
    But they might do a switch around and base 1/3 on 1 or 2 and the rest on either 3/4 ?? :eek:
    very true...even the examiners mentioned at the conference that the emphasis will be on modules 1 and 2...with module 3 and 4 making up a a fair few questions...

also remember to keep your answers simple! if the examiner likes your simple well flowing structure to the longer essays you should get all the marks....they moan and hate seeing scripts which takes them more time than usual to award marks...keeping your answers simple is the key to pleasing the examiners....examination techniques...

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    Meiosis done! Now on to 'Some terms you need to know' aka Genetics
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by tea kid)
    Where can I look over the specification, anyone?

& how is everyone feeling?
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications...ogy/index.html

ReputationRep:
    very true...even the examiners mentioned at the conference that the emphasis will be on modules 1 and 2...with module 3 and 4 making up a a fair few questions...

also remember to keep your answers simple! if the examiner likes your simple well flowing structure to the longer essays you should get all the marks....they moan and hate seeing scripts which takes them more time than usual to award marks...keeping your answers simple is the key to pleasing the examiners....examination techniques...
    Ok you seem like you know what your talking about, thanks and good luck

ReputationRep:
    I much prefer Chemistry exams to Biology!

ReputationRep:
    what have you all got for an example of succession. do we just learn the one in the text book? (the sand dune one)

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me which topics are in which modules please? Thanks for the help

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.