F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Mumford and sons will guide me through!
Original post by I'mBadAtMaths
Mumford and sons will guide me through!

:yep:
Reply 2542
:poo: ing myself.
what do people think the two 8 markers will be? (theres usually two 8 markers isnt there)?
Reply 2544
Anybody know anything about the Hardy Weinburg Principle?:confused:
Original post by Ralphus J
what do people think the two 8 markers will be? (theres usually two 8 markers isnt there)?

8marks could be on anything!
Reply 2546
Original post by Ralphus J

There are always 2 long answer question - yes.

The Jan 11 and June 2010 had:

- Affects of Flight or Fight Response on Muscles
- Comparisons between PCR and in vivo gene cloning
- Translation and Transcription then the role of Polypeptides in th bodies development
- The process by which bacteria can be genetically modified to produce a certain protein
Reply 2547
Original post by daddeee

It is just a way of looking a allele frequecy I think. Are they the "p + q = 1" and similar equations?!

What else do we need to know?
Original post by Tetanus
There are always 2 long answer question - yes.

The Jan 11 and June 2010 had:

- Affects of Flight or Fight Response on Muscles
- Comparisons between PCR and in vivo gene cloning
- Translation and Transcription then the role of Polypeptides in th bodies development
- The process by which bacteria can be genetically modified to produce a certain protein

the June 10 big boys were a lot easier than the jan 11 ones yall
Reply 2549
Are we given the Hardy Weinburg equation, or should I probably start to memorise it :K:
Man the balance of stimulation between my sympathetic and parasympathetic neurones is all over the place right now!
does anybody know where i can get the jan11 markscheme, just did it and i dont have the answers
Reply 2552
Original post by daddeee

Assumptions:

1. Very large population
2. Random mating between individuals
3. No selection
4. No random mutation
5. No genetic drift / migration

And basically, we assume that there are only 2 alleles, and use the formula

p^2 + q^2 + 2pq = 1,

where p = dominant allele and q = recessive allele

so basically, p^2 = homozygous dominant
q^2 = homozygous recessive
and 2pq = heterozygous

and we use the whole hardy-weinberg equation to work out the percentage of the population with the dominant allele, or recessive allele, or the percentage who are homozygous dominant or recessive, etc.
Original post by CoventryCity
I thought genetic drift was when a certain allele is passed on simple by chance?

Yeah you're right. Looks like they've described natural selection/ directional selectional
Reply 2554
Original post by tea kid
Are we given the Hardy Weinburg equation, or should I probably start to memorise it :K:

CGP says to learn them, but they can't even put funny jokes on the backs of their revision guides any more, so you can't trust them. :mad:

I guess you should just learn them
Reply 2555
Original post by Hazel92
does anybody know where i can get the jan11 markscheme, just did it and i dont have the answers

type in f215 jan 2011 mark scheme in google - there's a PDF link - i found it yesterday using that :smile:
Reply 2556
Original post by tea kid

Original post by Tetanus
CGP says to learn them, but they can't even put funny jokes on the backs of their revision guides any more, so you can't trust them. :mad:

I guess you should just learn them

Syllabus says you dont need to, but might as well - its not hard, just a simple quadratic equation - p^2 + q^2 + 2pq = 1 :biggrin:
Reply 2557
Original post by Hazel92

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57232953/OCR-F215-JAN-11-Control-Genomes-and-Environment-MS-MARK-SCHEME

:wink:
In the heinemann book on 2.1 spread 8, in the process of prophase 1 what does it mean by
'each pair consists of one maternal and one paternal chromosome'

From the diagram it seems that each consists of either two maternal or two paternal chromosome, I don't understand!
Please help!
Reply 2559
Original post by Hazel92

Here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending