ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_I)
    what's absisic acid again?
    Stomatal closing hormone and seed germination inhibitor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Tetanus)
    Going in hungry is worse. Don't want to be thinking about food when you should be thinking about the fact to improve uptake of recombinant DNA plasmids into bacteria you should use Calcium Salts and Heatshock. God forbid. :rolleyes:
    :yep: .. A cheese sandwhich and a chocolate bar and hour and a half before the exam starts sounds just right to me

But then again, you don't want all your blood going to your gut when you could be thinking about how humans have destroyed the Galapagos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidms001)
    :yep: .. A cheese sandwhich and a chocolate bar and hour and a half before the exam starts sounds just right to me

But then again, you don't want all your blood going to your gut when you could be thinking about how humans have destroyed the Galapagos
    ****! You're right! :eek:

ReputationRep:

I didn't think of this! Light lunch for me today I think

ReputationRep:
    how comes no one mentioned electrophoresis:yikes:

ReputationRep:
    this exam is probably the least of my worries, ive also got to do chemistry by design on wednesday, c3 on thursday. Next monday is C4, next wednesday is unit 3 bio (to boost up to 90% to guarantee an A in bio) and chemistry of materials next friday. FML!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jetmanchandi)
    this exam is probably the least of my worries, ive also got to do chemistry by design on wednesday, c3 on thursday. Next monday is C4, next wednesday is unit 3 bio (to boost up to 90% to guarantee an A in bio) and chemistry of materials next friday. FML!
    YOU DO SALTERS TOO?!

Love Salters!

ReputationRep:
    Is the sliding filament model same as the power stroke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetanus)
    YOU DO SALTERS TOO?!

Love Salters!
    haha yep, thought no other school done it but ours. Chemistry is much more easier than biology tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalamari Dave)
    I know, right?!

Mine took two tumbles this morning on Jan 2011 when two meaty 8-9 marker questions I waffled because I didn't know how to answer them, and they were on topics I thought i revised well :sad:
    January '11 was seriously the harshest most vile paper i've ever seen. I went through it again this morning, i'm now hoping OCR won't be mean and dish out two Nasty papers in the same year! Fingers crossed!
    That one on PCR... :puke:

ReputationRep:
    Basic Procedure of Electrophoresis:

1) DNA samples are treated with restriction enzymes(endonuclease) to cut them into fragments
    2) The DNA samples are placed into wells cut into one end(negative electrode end) of the gel.
    3) the gel is immersed in a tank of buffer solution and an electric current is passed through the solution for a fixed period of time.
    4) DNA is negatively charged because of the many phosphate groups. It is attracted to the postive electrode, so the DNA fragments diffuse through the gel towards the positive electrode end.

5) Short lengths of DNA move faster than longer lengths
    6) the position of the fragments can be showing by using a dye that stains DNA molecules

Fragments lifted and treated using southern blotting.

There you have it! This could be a screamer in the exam

ReputationRep:
    I know someone summarised the whole of PCR/genome sequencing like a million posts back! Can someone please tell me what post number/page number that was on please?

ReputationRep:
    what is power stroke?

never even heard of it...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    I didn't think of this! Light lunch for me today I think
    I said I would say good luck again, so good luck! :parrot:

And good luck to everybody else on this thread, you've all been great. Speak to you later! :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    I said I would say good luck again, so good luck! :parrot:

And good luck to everybody else on this thread, you've all been great. Speak to you later! :hat2:
    Good luck to you too
    :parrot: x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    what is power stroke?

seriously? it was drummed into our heads. its funny how different schools stress different things.
    power stroke is the action of the myelin heads pulling the actin filaments into a contraction...hence muscles contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duskflower)
    I know someone summarised the whole of PCR/genome sequencing like a million posts back! Can someone please tell me what post number/page number that was on please?
    Why not just use your textbook?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    what is power stroke?

calcium binds to troponin, which moves tropomyosin to reveal the binding site on actin. Myosin binds to the binding site of actin and an ATP molecule is hydrolysed to form ADP + Pi, which causes the actin to slide across when a contraction occurs.

ReputationRep:
    I keep getting confused when you use certain enzymes:
    RNA polymerase
    DNA polymerase
    taq polymerase

:cry: I will love you long time if you can help! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    I keep getting confused when you use certain enzymes:
    RNA polymerase
    DNA polymerase
    taq polymerase

:cry: I will love you long time if you can help! xx
    DNA polymerase= synthesises new DNA
    RNA polymerase= synthesises mRNA
    Taq polymerase= DNA polymerase from thermophilic bacteria; it isn't denatured at high temperatures

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.