Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I feel like complaining to OCR, but then again, they couldn't care less about whether we get into uni the selfish, lousy t****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mortysteve)
    Did anyone else think that 6 marks for describing and explaining what happened to the wader population after the introduction of the hedgehogs was a bit weird? They'd told us why the population decreases (the hedgehogs eat eggs), so I wasn't really sure how to get 6 marks out of it.
    I thought that was really bizarre. There wasn't really enough room or information to write a 6 mark answer JUST about area 2. Did you mention area 1 as well? I ended up doing all sorts of strange things with the numbers to work out overall differences and by how many times it had decreased. /waste of my life

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I did the same. One of the "stops" encompassed two codons. UAG and UAA (IIRC). UGA was the third.
    Noooooo!!!! MY STUPID EYES!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaph)
    I wrote mRNA, I think they'd do one mark for RNA and one for mRNA. RNA because it's using uracil, and mRNA because it's being translated to amino acids, so it's not tRNA. Or ribosomal RNA.
    Ahhhh I wasn't thinking like that lol..I was thinking everything is made of amino acids that RNA codes for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandan10)
    same here when i looked at the paper..the first question already pissed me off and the 11 marks question and also the random question about the lady bird and i nearly run out of time
    Same! I didn't do that much revision on the nitrogen cycle, I've been focusing on the sliding filament model all things like that, none of which came up. god, those damn lady birds! Just a horrible exam tbh, plus i needed more time. I'm praying for low grade boundaries!

ReputationRep:
    This exam just pissed me off. It missed out huge chunks of the specification and hardly any of it was the tougher science that people revise for.

You learn so much and they test you on dribble!

ReputationRep:
    also, what the hell was that amino acids question all about?! it took me about 5 minutes to work out how to use that amino acid circle thing, thought i was doing a biology paper not puzzles you'd find in a puzzle booK!!

ReputationRep:
    "explain the ethics behind killing hedgehogs" didn't realise we were sitting a WS/GS exam

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was an ok paper...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    I thought that was really bizarre. There wasn't really enough room or information to write a 6 mark answer JUST about area 2. Did you mention area 1 as well? I ended up doing all sorts of strange things with the numbers to work out overall differences and by how many times it had decreased. /waste of my life
    I know. I ended up working out the average population decrease as well just for ****s and giggles.

I mentioned area 1 at the end. Just bung in, "If we compare this to area 1, which had an overall population increase, we can see that the hedgehogs were likely the sole cause for the population decrease in area 2." or something.

ReputationRep:
    same here.. I calculated all the % decrease cos thats nothin to write
    arghh its just nothin about plant response and hardly any question on genomes and meiosis
    ALso, any1 know the grade boundary from last year ???

ReputationRep:
    Nitrogen Cycle was 20!!! marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillysal)
    I feel like complaining to OCR, but then again, they couldn't care less about whether we get into uni the selfish, lousy t****.
    I have completely lost all faith in OCR. A mistake in D1, a hideous core 3 paper this morning and now this.

Maybe I'm just still upset about the exams, but I do think it's unfair that we do all of this preparation and they test us on about 3 spreads. I know they can't test EVERYTHING, but really ....

ReputationRep:
    I agree with both of you, i found it really hard to think of what to put, and then decided to write about predator/prey relationships in a cycle, so numbers don't deplete. ... stupid question... but I think 'stupid paper on the whole' is more appropriate

ReputationRep:
    Where was PCR?! Ah dear, very limited on meiosis too.
    Most of the long questions were good, but the 6-marker on hedgehogs was ridiculous - because of the lack of information in the question, I ended up suggesting ideas why the populations decreased more so than others? :/

ReputationRep:
    That was the first exam ive actually completely run out of time with like 6-10 marks still remaining (ecology stuff). Did anyone notice the timing was crap too? or was it just me?

ReputationRep:
    I know. I ended up working out the average population decrease as well just for ****s and giggles.

I mentioned area 1 at the end. Just bung in, "If we compare this to area 1, which had an overall population increase, we can see that the hedgehogs were likely the sole cause for the population decrease in area 2." or something.
    I hate those feckin' hedgehogs. I struggled on that question, did the same kind of thing with you with random stats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loubear93)
    also, what the hell was that amino acids question all about?! it took me about 5 minutes to work out how to use that amino acid circle thing, thought i was doing a biology paper not puzzles you'd find in a puzzle booK!!
    You choose a base in one of the four big letters in the middle and that is the first base in the amino acid. Then choose the second and then the third base, moving towards the outside. The very outside tells you what amino acid that triplet codes for.

ReputationRep:
    I found the codes for the two stops but what was the third. I just looked at the fig and checked what the last amino acid was there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandan10)
    same here.. I calculated all the % decrease cos thats nothin to write
    arghh its just nothin about plant response and hardly any question on genomes and meiosis
    ALso, any1 know the grade boundary from last year ???

Aha I think I managed to get them into the senescence question somehow
    I think it was 60 for an A and 55/54 ish for a B.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.