The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sportycricketer
What did people get for Molecular Analysis??

I think I said you could use genetic fingerprinting

Original post by Boompw
For the change from UUU to UUC did people get silent mutation or point mutation?

Either

Original post by whc23
I'm sorry to hear how unrepresentative of the syllabus the paper seems to have been. I have spent the lest two months helping my daughter and her friend revise for this paper and it sounds like we have wasted most of our time. OCR have a responsibility to ensure that the paper covers the whole range of topics, not just those aimed at bearded ecologists.

Thank you. I hope that you inform OCR, when you have the time, how unfair and baised the paper was.
Original post by Medifield
I was honestly waiting for someone to say this and ask,"Are you on drugs?" :tongue:

Seriously, if anyone found this paper easy, you're a very clever person who is going to defo get into a good uni.

Alas, all those that studied, might be for nothing :frown:

Haha! I'm not getting my hopes up, tbh, other than an internal air-punch once I'd finished. Normally whenever I've liked a paper, I've done really badly in it. Ah well, we just have to wait and see now!
Original post by sarian2
SAME!!! im pretty sure it's right x

me too :smile:

I put DNA sequencing. no idea. literally.

i wrote he was wrog as for 400 m number of ladybrds were lower than at 300... then I said red were better adapted to survive at higher altitude ad it was higher number
I honestly think that we should do something about the paper... seriously....
Original post by HandsomeLAD
No discussing.

Its an OCR paper, not edexcel.
Reply 2827
lets start a petition! what a load of bull ****
Reply 2828
Original post by sarian2
SAME!!! im pretty sure it's right x

Wasn't 0.8549 q^2? The frequency of the bb genotype, not the allele?
Reply 2829
wa did people write about why the tree goes yellow?
Original post by greenford
I honestly think that we should do something about the paper... seriously....

I'm thinking this too, but OCR won't care unless there was a question that was 'impossible to answer'
Original post by HannahCrofts
3 points...! I was like "errrr...people dont want to kill animals and...thats it?" In the end I said it was perhaps preferential over keeping the hedgehogs in captivity for their whole lives as some people would think this is more cruel than killing them. So i reckon I got 2 marks...

I said that captivity would lead to interbreeding depression, reduces gene pool and increases risk of dangerous recessive alleles. Introducing them to mainland would cause competition and ruin the ecology of that area. Then I talked about predation they might suffer. I said killing them might ruin the ecosystem as they are prey for a preditor that wants to eat them and might eat something else. I could have said overlapping niches. I forgot. Then I added in something vague about right to live -.-
Typical OCR basing questions of up to 15 marks around on an obscure specification point that probably covers 0.1% of the textbook. The exam writers are complete mongs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Boompw
For the change from UUU to UUC did people get silent mutation or point mutation?

I put substitution :rolleyes:
The question about eggs described how both hedgehogs and waders both eat the same eggs at shallow areas or something. At first I thought it said hedgehogs were eating waders eggs but then realised that weren't the case so started all over again.

For the nucleic acid one I had no idea what it mean so wrote DNA -_-

For the stop codons I could only find two so resorted to making my own up

For why they should conserve farm animals I wrote because they could use selective breeding and breed them with other famr animal- forgot what the animal was now

Overall...I'm MAD!!! I revised so much and I got an ecology paper!

Someone should make a fb group with the title ''Biology's ecology mistake F215''
Reply 2835
Original post by kabolin
wa did people write about why the tree goes yellow?

wrote something to do with lack of water being transferred to leaves which is a raw product for photosynthesis.
Reply 2836
substitution is the same as point mutation.
Has someone made a facebook group? All I can see is the seal paper?
i put substitution too
FML! First questions are meant to set the pace for the rest of the paper but OCR instead decided to punch us straight IN THE FACE and then lower our confidence for the rest:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending