Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    theres still loadds that hasnt been asked:
    meiosis, nothing on cloning at alllll, sequencing genomes, gene therapy, succession, nitrogen cycle, sampling, Galapagos, still loads on plant hormones, sliding filament model

and theres still some more, but i think there the things most likely to come up, but you never know really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie93)
    meiosis, nothing on cloning at alllll, sequencing genomes, gene therapy, succession, nitrogen cycle, sampling, Galapagos, still loads on plant hormones, sliding filament model

and theres still some more, but i think there the things most likely to come up, but you never know really!
    check my last post Yeah I agree there more likely to come up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobeTheHero)
    little suprise
    You are a total babe!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    You are a total babe!
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    I can't do hardy weinberg!!! LOL. Might spend an all day on it tomorrow. And as for meiosis and how it contributes to variation is crossin over, random distribution of chromosomes and random distribution of chromatids right?

Also, my teacher predicted the following things-

1. Meiosis- essay
    2. Hardy weinberg
    3. Succession- particularly deflected.
    4, Galapagos islands
    5. Nitrogen cycle
    6. The movement of muscles-antagonistic
    7.Cycle of muscle contraction
    8. Electrophoresis
    9, Somatic gene therapy.
    10. Coppicing

Arghhhhh least I only need a D in this exam!
    wow that seems a pretty specific list! How come? lol

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any Hardy Weinberg Questions? Would we be given a table to fill out/get a formula? I don't really understand how it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie93)

If it asked about sequencing genomes what would you write?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    Does anyone have any Hardy Weinberg Questions? Would we be given a table to fill out/get a formula? I don't really understand how it works.
    http://www.k-state.edu/parasitology/.../hardwein.html

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help with the chi-squared test? How likely that it'll come up?

ReputationRep:
    what does the term 'genetic code' actually mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva009)
    that the sequence of bases in DNA code for individual amino acids, by codons. codons are 3 base pairs, each sequence of 3 base pairs codes for an amino acid - amino acids join together in the order the codons appear to synthesise specific proteins. genetic code is degenerate as there are more than 1 codons that code for the same amino acid - this decreases the chance of harmful mutations.

if im honest, i dont have a clue either mate haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    Can anyone help with the chi-squared test? How likely that it'll come up?
    Ho:no association
    H1 :an association

Observed = values given
    Expected values= row total x column total/grand total
    Test Score= sum of (O-E)^2/E

Critical value from chi squared table which they will give us v=(rows-1)(columns-1)
    5% cv

the smaller the value of X^2 the more certain we are that the difference is due to chance. if x^2 value is smaller than the value on table Ho can be accepted, if larger Ho is rejected- any difference is significant and not by chance.

I do statistics and this is one of the tests I do luckily all on calculator so less complicated than what I posted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva009)
    the sequence of bases on a gene which codes for the instructions for how to make a protein. its a triplet code so needs 3 bases to code for one amino acid. and you need to know other characteristics such as stop codons- indicate end of polypeptide chain, degenerative- all amino acids have more than one code except methionine. , widespread but not universal- generally always code for same amino acid in every organism but not in every case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tesha_al)
    Ho:no association
    H1 :an association

Observed = values given
    Expected values= row total x column total/grand total
    Test Score= sum of (O-E)^2/E

Critical value from chi squared table which they will give us v=(rows-1)(columns-1)
    5% cv

the smaller the value of X^2 the more certain we are that the difference is due to chance. if x^2 value is smaller than the value on table Ho can be accepted, if larger Ho is rejected- any difference is significant and not by chance.

I do statistics and this is one of the tests I do luckily all on calculator so less complicated than what I posted.
    This is a good explanation

I do stats as well, and I was really frustrated by how terribly the teacher taught us chi squared. So it was a good job I knew it already

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any different ways of remembering stuff?

e.g Why micro-organisms?

T CALM EGG

Temperature - can sustain high temps
    Copy - single copy of a gene which can't be masked by others during gene therapy \
    Asexual - Genetically identical population
    Life - rapid life cycle - large population over a short amount of time
    Metabolic - wide range of metabolic reactions
    Ethics - no objections
    Gene - gene expression is simple
    Growth - simple specific requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    Has anyone got any different ways of remembering stuff?

e.g Why micro-organisms?

T CALM EGG

Temperature - can sustain high temps
    Copy - single copy of a gene which can't be masked by others during gene therapy \
    Asexual - Genetically identical population
    Life - rapid life cycle - large population over a short amount of time
    Metabolic - wide range of metabolic reactions
    Ethics - no objections
    Gene - gene expression is simple
    Growth - simple specific requirements
    yeah
    lap lop stat dec

lap - Lag phase
    lop - log phase
    stat - stationary phase
    dec - decline phase

ReputationRep:
    You know for hardy Weinberg... do we only need to know how to work out number of people in population...

can anybody help me with Chi x2.... I know how to work it out..but when they give you table to show which bits get rejected or accepted.. i get confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenford)
    You know for hardy Weinberg... do we only need to know how to work out number of people in population...

can anybody help me with Chi x2.... I know how to work it out..but when they give you table to show which bits get rejected or accepted.. i get confused
    say if the probability table consists of 5 columns you subtract one from it to get degrees of freedom i.e 5-1 = 4.
    Column four is used as reference.If your value of chi is greater than the probability table (usually 0.05 = 5/100) then it's significant.

ReputationRep:
    How are people revising for this exam by the way? What are your techniques??

ReputationRep:
    Quick Question, Is PCR just a quicker way of replicating DNA than it being placed into BACs?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.