Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by casiogeek)
    I put electrophoresis - only thing i could think of
    I hope it's right as I did put genome sequencing, but I think it wanted it to be more specific and electrophoresis will show that all the DNA fragments are the same size in length.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_law25)
    I put substitution :rolleyes:
    I wrote a substitution point mutation that is silent.

Here is praying the grade boundaries are low or bye bye medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jungdao)
    Where did you get that term from? I've never seen it in the book so I put base substitution.
    they are the same thing.
    but honestly I really f***ed it up for myself. I studied al the
    difficult ones and none came up. Not only that I had 5min to do the Q7

ReputationRep:
    on the hardy-weinburg question did people get p i think as 0.38 and q as 0.62 ? pleasee!
    q=0.92
    p=0.08

Pretty sure i was correct, did tonnes of practice because i was certain it would appear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aquarius00)
    what did people get for the hardy weinberg question??...i know for a fact i prob got no marks from first three pages..but as soon as i saw the behaviour question i was like thankyou god...n then that tissue culture came up which wernt too bad..wot did you put for the differences between somatic n gene therapy..prophase1/2..?????

Think ive messed this up
    Apparently I got the Hardy Weinberg wrong. I put p = 0.68 and q = 0.32. People tell me p = 0.08 and q = 0.92 (or vice versa, I forgot).

Somatic Therapy is where you implant a functional gene in to body cells. It's short-lived and is stopped when the cell dies.

Germline Therapy is where you implant a functional gene in to each of the early embryonic cells. This is long-lived and will last a lifetime, as all the cells will have the functional gene.

Not 100% sure on that^ as I only read about it briefly (just before the exam fortunately).

Really, where did people get the terms point mutation and silent mutation from? o_O Do you have a different text book?
    I had the OCR A2 text book?

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't 0.8549 q^2? The frequency of the bb genotype, not the allele?
    it is the frequency of the allele.q=bb and bb=296/346 well that's how i've been doing this with my teachers..

ReputationRep:
    on the hardy-weinburg question did people get p i think as 0.38 and q as 0.62 ? pleasee!
    I think the frequency of the bb genotype (red bugs) was 0.8549 and that is q^2
    then q = 0.92 and p = 0.08

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys put for the method improvement for the frequency?

Was it to do with the chi-squared test? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mBadAtMaths)
    what did everyone put for the 'differences between the CNS and the PNS' question?

i just said the CNS= the brain + spinal cord
    and the PNS= the autonomic nervous system (sympathetic + parasympathetic) and somatic nervous system
    CNS=grey matter(unmyelinated neurones) white matter(longer myelinated axons and dendrons)
    PNS=consists of motor and sensory neurones which carry impulses in and out of the CNS.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just thrilled that I didn't firm the university place that would have required me getting an A in biology. I still feel cheated because after 2 years of hard work I personally thought I deserved an A which I was on track to get and then some ecology nut at the OCR headquarters for unqualified examiners comes out with a question paper like that.

ReputationRep:
    i think p=0.08 and q=0.92

ReputationRep:
    go on facebook and search for "F215 Ecology paper 13 may" page ..lets make some noise, this stupid examier has made our hard work go down the drain and ruined our university chances. i dont care if boundary goes down, this paper was s*** and they should know about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiologyF325)
    It showed amino acids in boxes, each attached to a box with three nucleotide bases in it = a codon. In the OCR textbook the diagram for tRNA shows that at one end there are 3 bases which are the anticodon where the tRNA binds to a complementary mRNA codon, and there are 3 bases on the other end of the hairpin shaped molecule where an amino acid binds.
    It is just 100% wrong that an amino acid binds directly to the mRNA! The amino acids form peptide bonds with each other and then the ribosome dissociates. Surely it was tRNA, someone back me up here!
    I don't think so, because the codes on the diagram, UUA, etc., were from the actual genetic code (i checked on the internet). If it was tRNA, they would be 'inverted' I think?

ReputationRep:
    I did. Apparently we misread the question. People tell me it was the red ladybirds which were bb, meaning the q^2 = 296/346, not 50/346 (as we did).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bangla_man)
    go on facebook and search for "F215 Ecology paper 13 may" page ..lets make some noise, this stupid examier has made our hard work go down the drain and ruined our university chances. i dont care if boundary goes down, this paper was s*** and they should know about it
    i guess you're still feeling the aftershocks of this mad paper lol

ReputationRep:
    Okay i really need to stop looking at this thread. its scaring me even more D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarian2)
    it is the frequency of the allele.q=bb and bb=296/346 well that's how i've been doing this with my teachers..
    But it told us how many red bugs there were. The red bugs are the bb phenotype and my text book says "q^2 is the frequency of genotype ff" (bb in this case).

That would make q the square root of 0.855 which is 0.92. "q represents the frequency of the allele f (b)"

ReputationRep:
    Okay i really need to stop looking at this thread. its scaring me even more D:
    ^
    But at the same time you want to know more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepwince)
    q=0.92
    p=0.08

Pretty sure i was correct, did tonnes of practice because i was certain it would appear
    I got this too but put it to 3d.p., i'm glad i got it the same as someone because everyone was disagreeing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thepwince)
    q=0.92
    p=0.08

Thats wot i got..wow i think i got 3/100 marks on this

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.