The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Haly
what does everyone think the grade boundaries will be like?

Maybe quite low I think, seems almost everyone found it pretty tough.
Original post by mortysteve
1)a) Plant protein - animal protein (3)
b) Processes that lead to process B (humus) (2)
c) How the processes C and D contribute to plant growth (reference to nitrifying bacteria).
?) What plant could the farmer use to restore nitrogen the soil? (2)
?) Why rare sheep should be kept in existence (2)
?) The two processes involved in allowing sheep to eat seaweed (2)
?) The two major problems that cause these sheep to be rare? (2?)
?) What are the three stop codons? (1)
?) Why do stop codons stop translation (or some ****)?
?) What are the other 4 amino acids in the chain?
?) Differences between Somatic Cell Therapy and Germline Cell Therapy (2)
?) Differences between PNS and CNS (4)
?) Differences between Prophase 1 and Prophase 2 (2)
?) Describe and explain what happens to the population of waders after hedgehogs are introduced (6)
?) Percentage decrease of Swipes in area 2 (2)
?) Advantages of learned and innate behaviour (11)
?) Describe the process of tissue culture? (7)
?) Describe a suitable method for the student to measure ladybirds up the hill?
?) Explain a more suitable method to list the data collected (frequencies of ladybirds)? (2)
?) The student says, "positive correlation = ladybirds survive better in high altitudes". Is he correct in saying this? (3)
?) Work out p and q (hardy weinberg) (2)
?) Hedgehogs are being trapped and killed. Discuss the ethical implications (3)
?) Explain why nearly all the Elm trees were wiped out when the disease hit (3)
?) Molecular analysis to show they're clones (1)
?) How do Elm trees produce clones [or something] (1)
?) The disease causes the leaves to turn yellow and die. Explain why? (2)
?) How does the leaves dying cause the roots to die? (2?)
?) UUU changed to UUA. What mutation is this? (1)
?) Name of the nucleic acide in 5.2 (2)
?) Define innate behaviour (2)
?) Define learned behaviour (2)
?) Define recessive (1)
?) Suggest and explain (?) two reasons why the hedgehog population increased so much (or something). (4?)

Add to it.

Wasn't there one about cabbages and why the soil nitrates would keep going down?
Reply 3062
Original post by Haly
what does everyone think the grade boundaries will be like?

Hopefully Low.. the exam was practically Ecology and i think around 54-58 = A.
Original post by inam_ayaz
what did every 1 get for the first question??

Animal consumes plant protein. Plant protein broken down into constituent amino acids. Amino acids then used in translation to synthesis proteins within the animal.

Defecation, urination, death/decay of plant/animal.

c) How the processes C and D contribute to plant growth (reference to nitrifying bacteria).

The nitrifying bacteria oxidise ammonium into nitrates. At process C, Nitrosomonas bacteria turn ammonium into nitrites. At process D, Nitrobates turn nitrites into nitrates. Once the ammonium has been turned into nitrates, it is able to be utilised by the plant for plant growth. Nitrites and ammonium are unusable by the plant.

Leguminous plant. The plant has nitrogen fixing bacteria that reside in a root nodule in the roots. They live in a mutualistic relationship. The nitrogen fixing bacteria "fix" nitrogren allowing it to enter the soil and be used by the plant.

something like that
In the first question about the nitrogen cycle, and there were arrows pointing to Humus, did anyone else think of food straight away or was it just me?
Reply 3065
Original post by TobeTheHero
20/100 + compensation

ok but really.. people who thought this paper went really well are probably not going to be writing on this thread so we cant be sure by just looking at the people on this thread that the boundaries will be low

it could be that a lot of people also thought the paper was really good but are not commenting on this thread..
Reply 3066
Original post by thepwince
I think question said 'what technique would you use to collect samples' - and i just focused in on the 'collect'... i thought it was synaptic and i refered to those 'pootah' things you use to collect bugs... I know a couple of people that put pitfall traps as their answer.

Same here.. i thought was synoptic and put pooter.. lol god knows how i remember that.

And i just checked the AS book and it says that a pooter is used to collect insects.
[email protected]

use and abuse.............
Reply 3068
Original post by thepwince
I think question said 'what technique would you use to collect samples' - and i just focused in on the 'collect'... i thought it was synaptic and i refered to those 'pootah' things you use to collect bugs... I know a couple of people that put pitfall traps as their answer.

Ahhh that's what I was thinking, but I couldn't remember the word and put down 'potometer' *palmface*. I did put down ' to suck up the lady birds' though.
Original post by amyyy24
My sentiments exactly. A paper that reduces people to tears when they have spent that past two months revising 4 hours a day per subject is not making A levels harder, it's just taking the p*** (some girls at my college just couldn't deal with it and broke down).

First exam i've ever cried about. Think everyone in the exam hall felt the same way :|
Original post by Guinea Pig Lover
Wasn't there one about cabbages and why the soil nitrates would keep going down?

Yup!

?) Why rare sheep should be kept in existence (2)
?) The two processes involved in allowing sheep to eat seaweed (2)
?) The two major problems that cause these sheep to be rare? (2?)
?) What are the three stop codons? (1)
?) Why do stop codons stop translation (or some ****)?
?) What are the other 4 amino acids in the chain?
?) Differences between Somatic Cell Therapy and Germline Cell Therapy (2)
?) Differences between PNS and CNS (4)
?) Differences between Prophase 1 and Prophase 2 (2)
?) Describe and explain what happens to the population of waders after hedgehogs are introduced (6)
?) Percentage decrease of Swipes in area 2 (2)
?) Advantages of learned and innate behaviour (11)
?) Describe the process of tissue culture? (7)
?) Describe a suitable method for the student to measure ladybirds up the hill?
?) Explain a more suitable method to list the data collected (frequencies of ladybirds)? (2)
?) The student says, "positive correlation = ladybirds survive better in high altitudes". Is he correct in saying this? (3)
?) Work out p and q (hardy weinberg) (2)
?) Hedgehogs are being trapped and killed. Discuss the ethical implications (3)
?) Explain why nearly all the Elm trees were wiped out when the disease hit (3)
?) Molecular analysis to show they're clones (1)
?) How do Elm trees produce clones [or something] (1)
?) The disease causes the leaves to turn yellow and die. Explain why? (2)
?) How does the leaves dying cause the roots to die? (2?)
?) UUU changed to UUA. What mutation is this? (1)
?) Name of the nucleic acide in 5.2 (2)
?) Define innate behaviour (2)
?) Define learned behaviour (2)
?) Define recessive (1)
?) Suggest and explain (?) two reasons why the hedgehog population increased so much (or something). (4?)
?) In a field where cabbages are grown as crops, the nitrate levels in the soil decreases. Explain why.
Overall i dont think the paper was a difficult one, just pot-luck as to whether you wrote what they were looking for.
Original post by Hongieee
In the first question about the nitrogen cycle, and there were arrows pointing to Humus, did anyone else think of food straight away or was it just me?

LOOL hahahah I was literally laughing out loud at that wasted half an hour on the first question because I couldn't stop laughing at it -.- ...
Reply 3073
that paper was flipping impossible but the larger papers are the ones easiest to get higher marks on so now i'm freakkkkking out about next tuesday!!
Reply 3074
for the lady bird thingy i said to use a net at regular intervals XD sounds like i completely screwed that up

for the one with the leaves going yellow and falling off i said that it stops uptake of water so transpiration increases above water uptake, plant responds by getting rid of leaves to avoid water loss.

and i said the roots wouldnt get any energy or shizz cause the leaves contained photosynthetic pigments which absorbed light and converted into energy (photosynthesis), so once there gone cant get energy and its pretty much dead :s-smilie:
Original post by TobeTheHero
i think p=0.08 and q=0.92:s-smilie:

I got this too. My method made sense... at the time... :redface:
How f*ckin solid was that?
I didn't half bull**** for England on that 11 marker
Reply 3077
F*** dat OCR.....This is not cool at all...........Prepared for a month....Knew the whole book inside out......Did all the past papers I could...And what did I expect? This :mad:
Original post by Beth1234
I got this too. My method made sense... at the time... :redface:

I got this too, was a little confused at first felt the dominant should be the larger one but whatever lool
Original post by Haly
ok but really.. people who thought this paper went really well are probably not going to be writing on this thread so we cant be sure by just looking at the people on this thread that the boundaries will be low

it could be that a lot of people also thought the paper was really good but are not commenting on this thread..

I would say something like 50-60/100

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending