Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    I was hoping for a nice 6 or 8 mark fill in the blanks aswell
    and me lol we were like wouldn't it be so good if stuff on ecosystem was fill in the blanks with a list of given words . Something on xylem came up:mad:!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sereni)
    my working (extracted from calculator)

296 + 50= 346

296/346=0.855

(0.855)*0.5=0.9249

1-0.9249= 0.075

Final answers- p=0.08, q=0.92
    I think I was inconsistent with decimal places but I just carried through with my calculator value so should be no rounding errors
    final answer had to be to two decimal places
    Yeaa!!! guessed it completely and got the first two part right!! m so happy...

ReputationRep:
    I am SERIOUSLY dissapointed with OCR.
    The F215 exam at my school was sat alongisde GCSE OCR maths.
    Half way through my exam the invigilators made an announcement that the GCSE maths students were to "miss out" one of the questions because it was wrong - another impossible question!!
    What is wrong with OCR :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabers)
    Yeah, pretty much every one in my class hates the biodiversity and conservation stuff apart from me.
    Hmm, I seem to be the only person that enjoys the plant stuff the most in my bio class

ReputationRep:
    has anyone made a facebook group yet? what happened to the guy who stole the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tesha_al)
    and me lol we were like wouldn't it be so good if stuff on ecosystem was fill in the blanks with a list of given words . Something on xylem came up:mad:!!
    It would have I know, I hate xylem I just can't believe there was no muscles or sand dune succession or anything about gene technologies/biotechnology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayson)
    guys i need 70 UMS marks for a C in biology, i think thats 35/100 for this paper right?
    someone answer please:O!!
    Nobody knows the boundaries for this paper they change every year!!! That's why no one is answering!! Lucky you only needing 70UMS, don't brag some of us need far more.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got the Link on me for the paper. Pm me if you want it. Its the whole scanned paper.
    I dont want to put it on here, cos the exam just happend today and it aint right. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arab_Empress)
    Nitrogen Cycle was 20!!! marks
    I looked at my notes on it on the train, but did'nt look at it indepth:mad: Nitrogen cycle has featured in alot of Past Papers for A2 Bio in Old Spec...

It now makes one wonder what F214 will be like? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susan23)
    has anyone made a facebook group yet? what happened to the guy who stole the paper?
    Have they taken him already? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susan23)
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/F215-E...08435035864506

ReputationRep:
    OMFG!!! Load of bloody nonsense, I have never been so upset with a paper before.
    I literally sat there thinking 'wtf, OCR we are A-level students studying Biology' Part of me thinks this is a joke!
    OCR YOU SUCK! FINAL!

ReputationRep:
    OMG I missed out the whole page on hedgehogs!!!
    Thats 10 marks down the drain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jhyzone)
    1)a) Plant protein - animal protein (3)

I wrote about how plants get nitrates from soil. Then they use this nitrates to syntesise amino acids which are then converted to proteins. The primary consumer (the sheep) will eat the grass then some of the nitrogenous compounds will be transferred to the animals and produce amino acids then proteins.

Pretty much. I focussed more on the breaking down of the proteins though. Plant protein eaten by animal. Animal breaks down protein into constituent amino acids. Amino acids used in translation to make animal proteins.

b) Processes that lead to process B (humus) (2)

I wrote excretion of faeces and explained it
    Next is when they die, decomposers will hydrolyse them etc

Yes. I didn't explain it though. Just put defecation, urination and death/decay of animals/plants.

c) How the processes C and D contribute to plant growth (reference to nitrifying bacteria).

I wrote Nitrobacter or Nitrosomonas :P Then i talked about how they convert ammonia ions to nitrite ions, then nitrite ions to nitrate ions in which the plant can use for growth.

Nitrifying bacteria oxidise ammonium into nitrates. In process C, Nitrosomonas oxidise ammonium into nitrites. In process D, Nitrobacter converts nitrite to nitrate. Nitrate ions can be utilised by the plant for plant growth, whereas nitrite and ammonium cannot.

?) What plant could the farmer use to restore nitrogen the soil? (2)

Leguminous plants such as peas. Then talked a bit about what I mentioned about. In addition to them having legumes in their root nodules

Yep. The leguminous plants have nitrogen fixing (diazotrophs) bacteria which reside in root nodules at the roots. The bacteria fixes nitrogren which allows it to enter the soil.

?) Why rare sheep should be kept in existence (2) Explain why species of those scottish sheep are likely to be extinct in the future

I dont think they asked this. See my modified q
    I wrote about there's less genetic variation between species.
    Then babbled on allopatric and sympatric speciation

I think both of these questions existed. There were definitely two ethical consideration questions.

?) The two processes involved in allowing sheep to eat seaweed (2)

Adaptation to the environment
    and there's not much food source available since they were at sea shore, only sea weeds available, sheep are primary consumers.

I said mutation (to allow enzyme to be synthesid) + selection pressure that favours the mutation.

?) The two major problems that cause these sheep to be rare? (2?) why are the genes for these sheep are highly desirable?

see modified question
    I wrote about how they can use the genes for selective breeding if that particular trait has selective advantage over other organisms. This gene can then be passed onto the next generation

Pretty sure that question didn't exist.

?) What are the three stop codons? (1)

AUG I think.

AUG is the initiation codon. The three stop codons are UAA, UAG and UGA.

?) Why do stop codons stop translation (or some ****)?

ooh I forgot to write "truncated proteins" but I wrote about how it shortens the polypeptide this is needed because different proteins need different sizes of polypeptide chain eg in haemoglobin

The stop codons terminate translation by binding release factors. These cause the ribosome subunits to disassociate, causing the release of the amino acid chain.

?) What are the other 4 amino acids in the chain?

Trypotrophan, methionine, forgot the other 2

Sound right.

?) Differences between Somatic Cell Therapy and Germline Cell Therapy (2)

Somatic is insertion of gene into a plasmid. then inserted tot the genome of the organism

Germline is genetic maniputaion of the embryos

I don't think this is right. Somatic is the insertion of a functional gene into a somatic cell. It is short-lived, and the gene degenerates when the cell dies.

Germline is the insertion of a functional gene into all of the early embryonic cells, thus is it permanent.

?) Differences between PNS and CNS (4)

CNS - consists of brain and spinal cord. mostly involve in voluntay actions and higher mental processes.

PNS - consists of somatic and autonomic nervous systems
    Autonomic for fight or flight and relaxation - they work antagonistically

I blabbled for this. Sounds right.

?) Differences between Prophase 1 and Prophase 2 (2)

I got this wrong but the correct answer is that bivalent form in prophase 1 and it doesn't in prophase 2

Yup. Phophase 2 has half the chromosome number too.

?) Describe and explain what happens to the population of waders after hedgehogs are introduced (6)

I described the trend, data and pattern using the data
    then i talked about biotic factor of predation and its consequences on waders population

Yup. Wasn't sure how to get 6 marks here.

?) Percentage decrease of Swipes in area 2 (2)

got this wrong, hope got a mark for working out

There will be.

?) Advantages of learned and innate behaviour (11)

This is my favourite basically i talked about a behaviour and its advantages

innate - kineses - woodlice and reflexes - eathworms
    learned - operant conditioning in dogs and latent learning in lizards when they bask. its quite a long answer.

Best question on the paper, imo. I mentioned 2 for innate (+ examples + advantages) and 4 for learned.

?) Describe the process of tissue culture? (7)

key words CALLUS, EXPLANT, plant hormones for growth, green house

Cells taken from apical meristem of desired plant.
    Sterilise cells.
    Place in sterile ajar plate.
    Add nutrients. Add hormones. Add organic/inorganic compounds.
    Let it grow.
    Add rooting hormone.
    Plant each plantlet.

?) Describe a suitable method for the student to measure ladybirds up the hill?

Got this wrong :P Misread the question

?) Explain a more suitable method to list the data collected (frequencies of ladybirds)? (2)

I said plot a bar graph x axis is the lady birds population and y axis is the altitude.

Work out the real frequences of the ladybirds (as given by the equation in the text book. (Freq of spec/Total freq)*100. Allows you to compare for each altitude.

?) The student says, "positive correlation = ladybirds survive better in high altitudes". Is he correct in saying this? (3)

He's wrong, because I used the trend in the table.

He's wrong because correlation does not imply causality.

?) Work out p and q (hardy weinberg) (2)

p = 7.01 somthing
    q= 17. something

You didn't work out the population sizes as fractions. 50/346 and 296/346. Might get marks for working out if it's still correct method.

?) Hedgehogs are being trapped and killed. Discuss the ethical implications (3)

religious people - life is sacred etc
    environmentalists - genetic diversity
    good biological control

Last one, not sure what you mean.

?) Explain why nearly all the Elm trees were wiped out when the disease hit (3)

talked about how during vegetative propagation they pass on the dissease to the basal sprouts then this continues then all basal sprouts will have the disease.

Yeah. Weaknesses are inherited. If one isn't resistant, none are. Also, if the roots are still joined, it can spread rapidly.

?) Molecular analysis to show they're clones (1)

analyse DNA polymerase (RNA polymerase or cytochrome c)

Think I said genome sequencing. Don't think it's right. Yours sounds good.

?) How do Elm trees produce clones [or something] (1)

vegetative propagation

Yep.

?) The disease causes the leaves to turn yellow and die. Explain why? (2)

xylem vessels is for water transport. if blocked not enough water will reach the leaf = less photosynthesis = leaf loss

Yep.

?) How does the root dying cause the leaves to fall? (2?)

talked about how the soil absorbs nitrates from soil. if dead not much minerals and water transported throguh xylem and phloem to the leaf. = less photosynthesis and growth

I said - No/less photosynthesis occurs. Little glucose produced. Less respiration occurs. Respiration is essential for all cells, therefore the root cells die. Or something.

?) UUU changed to UUA. What mutation is this? (1)

point or substituion

Yep.

?) Name of the nucleic acide in 5.2 (2)

RNA is it two marks? :O

According to other people. ;p

?) Define innate behaviour (2)

genetic predisposed, inherited, stereotypical

Yes.

?) Define learned behaviour (2)

as a result of environment, individualistic

Yes.

?) Define recessive (1)

require both allele for you to have that phenotype (or is it gene not allele?)

You should get this. The standard definition is that a heterozygous recessive will no express the phenotype.

?) Suggest and explain (?) two reasons why the hedgehog population increased so much (or something). (4?)

I wrote about lots of prey, lots of food, use food for growth and reproduction

second is I wrote about how theres no presence of predators for the hedgehogs, so its easier for hedgehogs to adapt.

you can also talk about competition.

Lack of intraspecific competition. (Your first point.)
    Lack of predation. (Also what you put).
    There. According to what I think, not know. ;p

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of sending:

That's cool OCR, I didn't want to go to uni anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeekieBoo)
    Nobody knows the boundaries for this paper they change every year!!! That's why no one is answering!! Lucky you only needing 70UMS, don't brag some of us need far more.
    I know that, but previous year do you know whether that would have been 35/100 ? i have no clue how ums system works ;[

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sereni)
    if you are thinking about the boundary for the A* you are better off than the majority of people in this thread I need an A from this or its good bye medical school.

I had 87% UMS in the rest of my A level so I only need something like 72% on this paper, If I get that 72% I will be so happy that I won't even burn down the OCR headquarters... maybe
    Saamee Bye-Bye medicine
    I did not get an A in this paper, so ridiculous, the WHOLE thing was on module 3, and I HATE MODULE THREE.
    Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bshrestha3)
    Yeaa!!! guessed it completely and got the first two part right!! m so happy...
    You didnt have to know much about biology at all to answer the question, as long as you understood that 1 was 100% of the population and what p, q p^2 and q^2 are (which you can actually extract from the question) it was an easy 3 marks. I dunno, I thought it went horribly and though bye bye medicine, but if the grade boundary is down at 60 (like it has been for the past two years) then I think I still have a chance

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone put for the tissue culture question? I was personally struggling for all the (6 or 7?) points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    I have completely lost all faith in OCR. A mistake in D1, a hideous core 3 paper this morning and now this.

Maybe I'm just still upset about the exams, but I do think it's unfair that we do all of this preparation and they test us on about 3 spreads. I know they can't test EVERYTHING, but really ....
    :mad: the examiners knew this year was going to the year for some of us to have our only opportunity to go to university! 18k more for fees in 2012 and resit for some of us as well:eek:

I think now we should read the textbook well in advance and make sure we just review some of it :rolleyes: although it is strange how Plants in F211 annoyed people and now all this Ecological Environmental Sciences Paper F215 :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.