Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    guys, what were the two essential steps for development of the metabolism to break down the seaweed?

I put mutation and then natural selection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahblah772)
    guys, what were the two essential steps for development of the metabolism to break down the seaweed?

That's what I put! Although I also added that the natural selection happens due to a selection pressure just to be sure. ;p explained it a little too.

(Original post by eddie90)
    looking at january, the grade boundary for an A* was 66% :O
    im praying its the same this year, worked my damn ass of for it >.<
    would be nice, i guess! i don't really care for the marks though, as long as i end up with an A. ;p

ReputationRep:

Same here

ReputationRep:

THIS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himmai)
    50/(296+50) = p^2 = 0.14450....

rootANS = p = 0.3801

q = 1 - 0.38 = 0.62
    you CANNOT assume 50 = p^2

50 is p^2 AND 2pq, the dominant homozygous AND heterozygous, which is why you use the recessive homozygous because it can ONLY be shown as red.

ReputationRep:
    wow guys we all spent week and month revising for this exam... looking over muscle contraction going in depth into gene technology etc... and what do ocr do lol they give a paper on gardens! looool jokes but to be honest it as an OK paper... not as nice as i wanted it to b. by reading comments here and talking to teachers/friends i would agree with the assumption that the grade boundaries will be low. BTW no point with the marks scheme and exam paper as im sure the marks scheme will have to be a bit more nicer in givng marks, instead of the grade boundaries being ridiculously low. lol BUT NOW THE NEXT A2 EXAM! loool and GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:

I did, but put directional natural selection... I wasn't sure how specific you had to be.

ReputationRep:
    lol legend I would rep you if I could

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tetanus)
    55 - 60 / 100?

:rolleyes:
    I wish lol, no but I really hope its around 60 for an A, in your opinion was this exam more difficult than jan 2011? I'm such an idiot I accidently missed out the questions about hedgehogs so automatically lost 10 marks!!

ReputationRep:
    i put natural selection i.e. due to mutation and then genetic drift :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfw)
    Same here

(Original post by Tetanus)
    THIS.

(Original post by Lew1)
    I did, but put directional natural selection... I wasn't sure how specific you had to be.
    banging, cheers guys (and girls)

ReputationRep:
    I swear OCR lost their book and only had 3 pages left. I swear it was done in 1 day too. It's like they did it last night. What a waste reading that damn book ~5 times.

ReputationRep:
    I think what pisses me off the most is that I've probably spent upwards of 50 hours revising solely for this paper, and all of the topics that came up probably constituted about... 2 hours of revision?

Also the official textbook is absolute ****e.

ReputationRep:
    I think I have the potential to get an A, it depends how good my marker is at reading illegible handwritting. But There is nothing that can be done, just pray I get the grade, and can go to UCL, it sucks that these results determine if I get into medical school, which determines if I can be a doctor, which determines my career. Basically some odd 50 years of my future life could be riding on this. Alternatively I could get a B and just be a benefits scrounger for life

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i was two mark off the A in january got 478/600 just sat this unit 5 blew my mind thought this would just be easy resit but does anyone know if its possible for me to sit unit 4 on 25th? Do schools allow such late exam entrances??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    i put natural selection i.e. due to mutation and then genetic drift :s
    I said mutation and selection I think or sumthing like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arab_Empress)
    Very true, Im doing that exam aswell,
    how do you feel youve done overall as in MAX number of marks you lost ?
    i would rather not think of that :P but i can say it was not an easy paper, far too many questions involved no actual biology...some people who did'nt revise were very pleased with themselves:mad: my college has alot of people that do maths and sciences and i can definately say even the brightest minds found it difficult...i now wish i did physics at A2 rather than bio!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susan23)
    ok guys lets just forget about it and stop post-morteming the exam because we cant change what we wrote. just hope grade boundaries are low and hope that the examiners die by E.coli cucumber spread and lets forget about it. Summer awaits us
    Im hoping they die from either copper poisoning or by projectile hedgehogs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sereni)
    I think I have the potential to get an A, it depends how good my marker is at reading illegible handwritting. But There is nothing that can be done, just pray I get the grade, and can go to UCL, it sucks that these results determine if I get into medical school, which determines if I can be a doctor, which determines my career. Basically some odd 50 years of my future life could be riding on this. Alternatively I could get a B and just be a benefits scrounger for life
    That's what I thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sereni)
    Why would you be a benefits scrounger for life? A grade B in biology is still really good... :/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.