The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Apoptosis organised and tidy cell death. oppsoite to cell necrosis. occurs after trauma.

Enzymes break down cell skeleton
cell surface membrane changes, blebs form
cytoplasm gets more dense, cell organelles packed in to vesicles
chromatin condenses. nuclear envelope breaks. dna breaks in to fragments
cell is packaged into vesiscles, taken up by phagocytosis
celluar debris is disposed of and does not damage any other cells or tissue

:smile:
Wow, this thread started back in march?? I've only just started studying unit 5 about 3 or 4 days ago and I think I'm on track to completing it in a week or so hopefully, I'm only concerned about chemistry tbh since I have unit 4 chem two days after bio unit 5 and I'm not too prepared on chem.

Anyone have advice on how to study bio and chem parallel to each other? I've got a bad habit of leaving everything else until I'm done with one, in this case bio unit 5. If I do that then I'll be left with only about 4 or 5 days to go over chem unit 4 :/
For F215...do we need to know F214 inside out as well? F214 is on 22nd, whilst F215 on the 13th hmmm
Original post by intellectual1
For F215...do we need to know F214 inside out as well? F214 is on 22nd, whilst F215 on the 13th hmmm

I believe so, 20% of the paper is synoptic and could be from AS units or unit 4. I had a feeling earlier they could link in maintenance of ATP supply in muscle contraction from unit 5 to what we learnt in unit 4, especially what happens in anaerobic respiration.
Original post by Killmepls
I believe so, 20% of the paper is synoptic and could be from AS units or unit 4. I had a feeling earlier they could link in maintenance of ATP supply in muscle contraction from unit 5 to what we learnt in unit 4, especially what happens in anaerobic respiration.

You're quite right, there was a 3 mark question on the brain and few others...at the student conference PhilipAllan...the examiners stressed the importance of viewing OCR Biology like a pyramid, with F212 dependent upon F211, F214 dependent upon F211 and F212 whilst F215 requires understanding of all units.
You're quite right, there was a 3 mark question on the brain and few others...at the student conference PhilipAllan...the examiners stressed the importance of viewing OCR Biology like a pyramid, with F212 dependent upon F211, F214 dependent upon F211 and F212 whilst F215 requires understanding of all units.

I think quite often synoptic elements would include enzyme activity/inhibition, it can link in with so many questions. I'm hoping that because I did the AS units in May I will get at least 20% of the paper right :P
Original post by twelve
This is a good explanation :smile:

I do stats as well, and I was really frustrated by how terribly the teacher taught us chi squared. So it was a good job I knew it already :smile:

yeah atleast that was one topic didn't have to bother learning - nifty calculator does it all :smile:
Original post by sillysal
can someone explain to me how to work out the expected value in a chi squared test?

Check page 15 of the thread I did a little explanation.
I think quite often synoptic elements would include enzyme activity/inhibition, it can link in with so many questions. I'm hoping that because I did the AS units in May I will get at least 20% of the paper right :P

I reckon proteins synthesis can also be to linked to everything like complementary receptors, protein synthesis etc
So are people doing all the past questions from the old spec? Alot of them seem to be very similar...although we're definately being assessed more on our understanding...so perhaps it is wise to know the textbook inside out? hmmmm
Reply 330
Original post by starburst92
okay so I've gone through the whole of the bio book and the spec but still don't know anything! Do you think mindmaps are a useful way of revising? I've tried making notes but they don't really help me :frown:

If notes don't really help, I wouldn't have thought that mindmaps would. When you're reading the textbook, make sure you understand what you're reading - call up friends in your classes and talk it through together or something. And questions - find all the questions that you can. That way you can check what you actually do know, and what you still need to work on.

Original post by There will be Particles
Wow, this thread started back in march?? I've only just started studying unit 5 about 3 or 4 days ago and I think I'm on track to completing it in a week or so hopefully, I'm only concerned about chemistry tbh since I have unit 4 chem two days after bio unit 5 and I'm not too prepared on chem.

Anyone have advice on how to study bio and chem parallel to each other? I've got a bad habit of leaving everything else until I'm done with one, in this case bio unit 5. If I do that then I'll be left with only about 4 or 5 days to go over chem unit 4 :/

Just do a few hours for each one each day. I have most of my exams in one week, so I can't really leave anything to do in between - so I'm splitting my time up between chemistry, biology and all the different maths modules. An hour and a half of biology, about 45 minutes of chem (I'm pretty okay on chem at the moment) and a past paper for one of my four maths modules, rotating each day. Maybe just count down the days til the exam, and split the spec up into that number of topics. Do one a day, and then one the last day, go over everything and do a past paper or something :smile:

So are people doing all the past questions from the old spec? Alot of them seem to be very similar...although we're definately being assessed more on our understanding...so perhaps it is wise to know the textbook inside out? hmmmm

I'd have thought being assessed on understanding implies that you don't have to know the textbook inside out, and you just need to understand all the concepts...
Original post by twelve

I'd have thought being assessed on understanding implies that you don't have to know the textbook inside out, and you just need to understand all the concepts...

There was a 3 mark question on the brain, which was out of the textbook, merely had to label it in the Jan11 paper...few others as well which were as well...will post the other things which were 'textbook' style questions...after i've done these C3 Math questions...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 332
There was a 3 mark question on the brain, which was out of the textbook, merely had to label it in the Jan11 paper...few others as well which were as well...will post the other things which were 'textbook' style questions...after i've done these C3 Math questions...

Yeah I thought so - guess we need to know the whole textbook as well as understanding the concepts :P
Reply 333
is it really difficult to get a C in this unit.... if i dont get a C i'm ****ked.... really scared
With most other subjects, doing exam questions help you alot, but with Biology I seriously think its more worth learning the stuff. but thats just my personal opinion. I REALLY need an A in this paper :frown: x
Reply 335
is it really difficult to get a C in this unit.... if i dont get a C i'm ****ked.... really scared

No it's not. I did the bare amount of revision for this paper last June and I managed to get a C. Don't stress!

Of course this happened when I could actually remember AS biology...
Reply 336
How's everyone doing with practice questions?
Synoptic is killing me!!!!!!! Like in the revision guide there's a question on identifying alpha/beta glucose OMG so unit 1.

I got a D in practice.
Need an A for uni.
Screwed? I think so LOL
Original post by sportycricketer
I reckon proteins synthesis can also be to linked to everything like complementary receptors, protein synthesis etc

Very true, translation has already come up so I think transcription may come up this time. They could ask a question about adenyl cyclase on complementary binding and how it changes the shape of the protein, I remember seeing that in the spec.
Very true, translation has already come up so I think transcription may come up this time. They could ask a question about adenyl cyclase on complementary binding and how it changes the shape of the protein, I remember seeing that in the spec.

An essay on protein synthesis would be sweet! but its A2 so highly doubt that will come up. Have a feeling about the meiosis essay either on its significance or its process (hopefully should be easy marks). I dont see any other major topics from the first module for an essay. Genetics would probably be a punnet square but you think we might be asked to write an essay on it???
Original post by sportycricketer
An essay on protein synthesis would be sweet! but its A2 so highly doubt that will come up. Have a feeling about the meiosis essay either on its significance or its process (hopefully should be easy marks). I dont see any other major topics from the first module for an essay. Genetics would probably be a punnet square but you think we might be asked to write an essay on it???

I hate meiosis lol I hope there isn't an essay on it, but ye it could happen there hasn't been anything on it yet. An essay on translation came up last june so you never know.. I don't think they could do an essay on that, most likely a 4 mark or so question asking for f1 genotypes,gametes and the punnet square. They haven't done anything on co dominance like blood groups.

Quick Reply