Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killmepls)
    I hate meiosis lol I hope there isn't an essay on it, but ye it could happen there hasn't been anything on it yet. An essay on translation came up last june so you never know.. I don't think they could do an essay on that, most likely a 4 mark or so question asking for f1 genotypes,gametes and the punnet square. They haven't done anything on co dominance like blood groups.
    Lol oh really ok, but its just the matter of learning the stages, it's actually not that bad once you get the hang of it. I'm not sure about translation tbh cos thats not difficult enough for A2 lol. WITHOUT a doubt there will a question on enzymes haha.
    What are the main topics in the other modules do you think are likely to come up??

ReputationRep:
    how much of the paper is synoptic, is there really going to be that much AS stuff since there is already a huge amount of content in the A2 spec

ReputationRep:
    how can dissipating proton gradient induce apoptosis?
    Less chemiosmosis leads to less ATP being made. The cell does not have enough ATP for its metabolic processes, therefore it dies.
    Think that's how it works - anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

ReputationRep:
    WITHOUT a doubt there will a question on enzymes haha.
    How come you think that? What sorts of questions could they ask us about? Maybe how a mutation could affect protein function so that we'd have to talk about primary structure, tertiary structure bonds, etc?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have this Jan 11 paper? Can't seem to find it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    How come you think that? What sorts of questions could they ask us about? Maybe how a mutation could affect protein function so that we'd have to talk about primary structure, tertiary structure bonds, etc?
    Well OCR seem to link everything with enzymes so thats why I was thinking they'll definitely test us on that .. and then they link that to proteins and their structure so yh.
    What sort of these do you think we'll be tested on from the other 3 modules?

ReputationRep:
    how r ppl doin.... im so stressed about this exam... never been this stressed about anything.... feel like my head will explode

ReputationRep:
    Well OCR seem to link everything with enzymes so thats why I was thinking they'll definitely test us on that .. and then they link that to proteins and their structure so yh.
    What sort of these do you think we'll be tested on from the other 3 modules?
    Maybe differences between meiosis and mitosis?
    Tbh, I can't really remember what was in the other exams, especially the AS exams.. FAIL!

ReputationRep:
    If mitosis comes up there will have been no point in me turning up to the exam!!! I have no idea what happens in it or what its for!!! And what are the differences between primary and secondary metabolites? I know what they are but I don't know what the differences are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    If mitosis comes up there will have been no point in me turning up to the exam!!! I have no idea what happens in it or what its for!!! And what are the differences between primary and secondary metabolites? I know what they are but I don't know what the differences are?
    at very least you should know what meiosis is for:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to learn a few differences
    e.g.
    crossing over in meiosis but not mitosis
    mitosis produced 2 diploid daughter cells - meiosis produces 4 haploid daughter cells
    mitosis produced somatic cells - meiosis produces gametes

Primary metabolites are produced by an organism as part of its normal growth whereas secondary metabolites are not produced as part of normal growth. Production of primary metabolites matches the growth of the organism whereas the production of secondary metabolites usually begins after the main growth period of the organism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    Maybe differences between meiosis and mitosis?
    Tbh, I can't really remember what was in the other exams, especially the AS exams.. FAIL!
    Ahh right, tbh though I doubt they'll ask about the difference but I suppose still a small chance. I meant the modules in this unit like biotech, responding to the environment and ecosystems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by There will be Particles)
    how much of the paper is synoptic, is there really going to be that much AS stuff since there is already a huge amount of content in the A2 spec
    20% of the paper is synoptic.

ReputationRep:
    what are the chances of the NITROGEN CYCLE coming up?
    i have never studied it bfore except at A2 where my teacher assumed we all had background knowldege on it, its one of those things thats just not going into my head!!
    what main points to we need to kno?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786girl)
    what are the chances of the NITROGEN CYCLE coming up?
    i have never studied it bfore except at A2 where my teacher assumed we all had background knowldege on it, its one of those things thats just not going into my head!!
    what main points to we need to kno?
    rhizobium fixes Nitrogen gas in air
    Nitrosomonas converts NH4+ to NO2-
    Nitrobacter converts NO2- to NO3-

thats pretty much it tbh

ReputationRep:
    does anyone understand that fishy spread on gene therapy? also the one about classifying species, both have left me totally baffled !

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the last page of module 4? Something about the DRD4 gene i think. Has left me clueless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    Does anyone know the last page of module 4? Something about the DRD4 gene i think. Has left me clueless
    The last page is asking how dopamine receptors tell us what's happening in the brain. There are different levels of dopamine receptors and each level are linked to different conditions such as ADHD, Parkinson's disease and schizophrenia. the DRD4 is the receptor that lets us know the different levels. studying the levels of dopamine in the brain and the genotype of the individual, the alleles which influence the conditions ( ADHD, schizo) can then be investigated and drugs can can be developed for different conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    Oh yeah that's difficult. All I can remember is this-

Human behaviour has been researched in great depth over the years, more than any other mammal in the world.

- much human behaviour has been implicated with the DRD4 dopamine receptor gene. These receptors are complementary to that of the dopamine neurotransmitter.
    - dopamine is found in the brain with high levels of movement and activity.
    - there are 5 different DRD4 gene. The DRD4 gene has over 50 different variants. Each has a different receptor shape. This is due to repeating sequencing in the nucleotide sequences of the DNA coding for the receptors.
    - the DRD4 7R variant is found in people with novelty seeking behaviours and ADHD.
    - the DRD4 5R is found in people with addictive behaviours such as gambling, smoking, alcohol.
    - the DRD4 4R is found in people with degenrative diseases such as schizophrenia.

I'm sorry I'm just as clueless as you tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by periwinkle304)
    does anyone understand that fishy spread on gene therapy? also the one about classifying species, both have left me totally baffled !
    what about gene therapy there's load on it?

classifying species.
    biological species concept and phylogenetic species concept
    phylogenetic one is the one that can be used to classify new discovered fossil organisms- defined as group of organisms with similar morphology, physiology, embryology and behaviour and occupy the same ecological niche. the species can be studied and analysed as its hows relationships and phylogeny.

biological- a group of similar organisms that can interbreed and produce fertile young and is reproductively isolated from other groups. However not all members of the same species look different to each other and not all can reproduce.
    So a mixture of both phylogenetic and biological species concept is how we get our definition of a species ' a group of organisms with similar morphology, physiology, embryology and behaviour that can interbreed and produce fertile young'.

I hope this was what you were on about cause took me ages to type out,.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.