Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by India27)
    has anyone got a copy of the times article? i know someone has posted a print screen, but it's unreadable
    its on the fb group....

join it and you'll see.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a copy of the exam paper available?

Nevermind, found it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by India27)
    sorry to hear that bro same here medicine place in jeopardy. i'm just thankful i'm retaking f214, which at the time of january results seemed really stupid (because i got 72/90 ums = A) but right now it's probably the best decision i've taken this year! so i can hopefully maximise ums marks
    haha, me too....I'm so happy now that I'm retaking it

also I did get a D in jan.....so it's not gonna be hard to scoop up a load of UMS points....

ReputationRep:
    What is 73/100 raw in ums using jan 2011 boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunn0)
    What is 73/100 raw in ums using jan 2011 boundaries?
    around 135 / 140?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the mark scheme please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    I said sweep net too I reckon that's right as they are used to catch insects! I reckon the main ansewers will be pooter and sweep net
    i hope your right man, and since your doing F215 u r probably trying for uni next year. whatever the case good luck man ..lets hope ..OCR dont screw us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whc23)
    My opinion does not count for much. The grade boundary will probably be determined by how well the paper is answered by the students and adjusted accordingly. It might seem fairer to set the boundary at 55/100 for an A so as not to disadvantage the students who revised all the modules. What this would do, however, is to boost the grades of the students who focused a lot of their revision on Module 3 (Ecosystems) so they would still have an unfair advantage. There are no easy solutions here, which is why OCR should have got the paper right in the first place.
    if its 55/100 for an A i would strip on results day and **** slap an ocr textbook

ReputationRep:
    also what would 50 marks have got you in ums last year?

ReputationRep:
    hahaha it will not be 55 marks for an A.

I've just come to terms I've failed this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triangle_eyes)
    hahaha it will not be 55 marks for an A.

I've just come to terms I've failed this.
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    why?
    Because it wasnt actually that hard, just disproportionate

ReputationRep:
    They will do it proportionally like they always have done, the top 20% of marks will get an A the next best 10% will get a B etc..

55 for an A is unlikely. :bird:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sereni)
    Because it wasnt actually that hard, just disproportionate
    exactly, hence loads of people will have dropped a myriad of marks due to that, hence the boundaries will be fairly low as loads of people would've have not done so amazingly

ReputationRep:
    exactly, hence loads of people will have dropped a myriad of marks due to that, hence the boundaries will be fairly low as loads of people would've have not done so amazingly
    actually the disproporionate nature of the exam will tend to squish the mark distribution together, the actual effect on average mark is unrelated.

This is because the exam focused on quite an easy bull****able topic and so lower ability candidates will find it easier to get similar marks as higher ability canditates, Ive noticed several 'lol didnt revise at all and didnt think it was that bad' comments. at the same time because it is a waffley topic higher ability candidates who understand the topics may still miss out on marks due to time problems and just not writing the think the markers are looking for. This leads to a narrowing of the mark distribution.

The dispropotionation will have a small effect on grade boundaries sure, but it wont result in ridiculously low grade boundaries.

My original answer, that that paper wasnt that difficult just dispropotionate was in response to a 55% grade boundary for an A. Now while I would love to be wrong because if that was the boudary for an A I would be in the running for an A*, it won't happen. It was a hard paper so I expect low grade boundaries but A type candidates shouldnt have lost almost half the marks on it.

The 11 mark behaviour question was right out of the textbook, they actually give you an example for each in the text, like the nematode worm having chemical sensors in its lips and so being able to move towards or away from chemicals as an example of a taxis. The hedgehog question was a bit bad but it was actually reasonably straightforwards, and I doubt that you cant make up at least a couple of reasons not to kill hedgehogs. Ladybird was standard genetics and the wheel of fortune was patronisingly easy. The nitrogen cycle was *****y but if you knew all about it then it wasnt undoable...

By point isnt that there will be 80% for an A, just that I dont think that 45% of the paper was so hard that A grade candidates couldnt do it

ReputationRep:
    Anyway arguing about the grade boundaries aside what med school are you hoping to go to? It sucks that I cant just say Im going to UCL but have to include the caveat "I'm going to UCL, ifigetgoodenoughgradesandimnotov erlyconfidentthatiwill"

ReputationRep:
    Anyway arguing about the grade boundaries aside what med school are you hoping to go to? It sucks that I cant just say Im going to UCL but have to include the caveat "I'm going to UCL, ifigetgoodenoughgradesandimnotov erlyconfidentthatiwill"
    haha...this, but with soton

oh well, as long as it isn't higher than 60 for an A....I'm happy (twas 60 in jan)

ReputationRep:
    haha...this, but with soton

oh well, as long as it isn't higher than 60 for an A....I'm happy (twas 60 in jan)
    Mmm, I think its possible its 60-65 for an A, it all depends of the statistics, definietly wont be 67+ tho IMO. Gawwwwd mechanics tomoz, I need an A in either maths or physics

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, I think its possible its 60-65 for an A, it all depends of the statistics, definietly wont be 67+ tho IMO. Gawwwwd mechanics tomoz, I need an A in either maths or physics
    I got OCR M1 tomorrow morning too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    Got an email from ofqual saying they are looking into the matter
    Please continue keeping us updated Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.