Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 days to revise for this paper

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 days to revise for this paper
    It's in a week and 3 days dude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenford)
    anyone tries using the cgp book... it explain everything in detail and is so simple to understand.... the text book give you some info that you don't actually need to know....

U know hardy Weinberg .... the only thing we can be asked is calculation right?
    They could ask calculation and assumptions, e.g large population, no mutations, no genetic drift etc

(Original post by 182blink)
    does anyone knwo the grade boundries for this unit would be or for Jan 2011 paper ?
    June 10 was 65% for an A, Jan 11 was 60%, maybe this time 55% lol haha that would be some hard paper..

ReputationRep:
    do you think they will as us what are the symptoms and reasons why diseases like sickle cell anaemia, haemophilia and DMD occur :/

ReputationRep:
    do you think they will as us what are the symptoms and reasons why diseases like sickle cell anaemia, haemophilia and DMD occur :/
    They wouldn't ask us about symptoms definitely - too far off the spec. More likely to present one of the conditions, say how it's inherited (sex-linked, codominance, etc), and ask us to do some genetic diagram or something.

ReputationRep:
    hey all!
    just revising the specification point "outline the steps involved in sequencing the genome of an organism" which is in the second module. was just wondering whether everyone was learning the automated DNA sequencing method (page 172 in the textbook) or the chain termination method? I was taught the chain termination method in class but find the other method easier to learn, although they are both pretty similar. Doubt they expect us to learn both methods, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    hey all!
    just revising the specification point "outline the steps involved in sequencing the genome of an organism" which is in the second module. was just wondering whether everyone was learning the automated DNA sequencing method (page 172 in the textbook) or the chain termination method? I was taught the chain termination method in class but find the other method easier to learn, although they are both pretty similar. Doubt they expect us to learn both methods, right?
    If they asked you that, what you would do is outline the basic method of sequencing. So DNA is cut into short fragments of 750 base pairs long. The base sequence of each is determined. Overlapping fragments are sequenced and then all this information is put into a computer softwarew to work out the entire base sequence. The all process if automated. Then you would describe the chain termination method. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    What old papers are relevant to this spec? Can someone please tell me? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportycricketer)
    central concepts

mammalian physiology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    It's in a week and 3 days dude!
    i know but i can't afford to revise it in 1 week and 3 days:sigh: whiles i got C3 and C4:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportycricketer)
    if you look at my profile and look at posts stats; you'll see i posted a pack for f215

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ekta9)
    Thank-you!! that makes it a little easier
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    central concepts

mammalian physiology
    Thanks but aren't there others for example I was looking through

Growth, Development and Reproduction - had some questions artificial propagation etc
    Application of Genetics - pretty much in the name
    Environmental Biology - had some things about ecosystems etc
    Microbiology and Biotechnology

Not sure about Unifying concepts.. can someone please verify and tell me if these modules are applicable to us or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobeTheHero)
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    i know but i can't afford to revise it in 1 week and 3 days whiles i got C3 and C4
    ahh i see! I share your pain...have my Russia exam on friday :emo:

ReputationRep:
    This is horrible. I don't get anything!!!

ReputationRep:
    Who else is finding this exam difficult? I absolutely hate revising for it.. Although i got a very high B in Jan for F214, i think im going to end up with a U or an E for this exam. I cant doooo ittt.. !!!

ReputationRep:
    Due to very short time to learn and revise all f214, f215, f324, f325, c3 and c4 :'( Im only going through the specification questions and answers. Can anyone tell me if the questions in the exam comes up from 'outside the specification'.
    e.g.
    One of the question in the specification is "Describe the production of natural clones in plants using the example of vegetative propagation in elm trees."
    So can I skip "What exactly are clones?" and "The advantages and disadvantages of asexual reproduction." and "Advantages and disadvantages to the elm of vegetative propagation." as these are not on the specification. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dcpower)
    Due to very short time to learn and revise all f214, f215, f324, f325, c3 and c4 :'( Im only going through the specification questions and answers. Can anyone tell me if the questions in the exam comes up from 'outside the specification'.
    e.g.
    One of the question in the specification is "Describe the production of natural clones in plants using the example of vegetative propagation in elm trees."
    So can I skip "What exactly are clones?" and "The advantages and disadvantages of asexual reproduction." and "Advantages and disadvantages to the elm of vegetative propagation." as these are not on the specification. :confused:
    As long as you know the principles behind vegetative propagation then you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobeTheHero)
    As long as you know the principles behind vegetative propagation then you should be fine
    ^That was just an example. So if I basically go over the specification should I be fine? I really want to skip other stuffs from my book 'Ocr Heinemann' because there are a lot of things to learn but I really dont have time for it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.