Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help explain what exactly we need to know about artifical selection of wheat?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mobs25)
    Genome is the sum of the genetic information in a organism, that genetic information is DNA. So yeh DNA sequencing is similar genome sequencing but at a smaller scale. It doesn't matter, we need to know the steps for it only.

Quick DNA replication summary:
    1. DNA polymerase attaches onto DNA molecule
    2. DNA unwinds and unzips, breaking hydrogen bonds
    3. free dna nucleotides in the nucleus are joined together by complementary base paring
    4. the sugar-phosphate backbone joins with covalent bonds (phosodiester bonds)
    5. you are left with two new dna molecules identical to the original dna

Difference is that in DNA replication we don't use NTPs, ddNTPs etc. We don't need to know about DNA replication for unit 5, we do need to know about protein synthesis. But, synoptic question on dna rep? maybe

I hope that helps people who are confused with genome sequencing. From what i have seen my steps above and in my previous post are correct. Maybe the fact im using ddNTP and NTP is confusing, that part is basically the chain-terminator reaction. For ref, pages 166 to 167 (this talks about BAC). Pages 172 to 173 (genome sequencing).

@slacker07906, i wouldn't imagine we need to know about BAC as that process is just telling us how the human genome project worked and how they did it all, its not on the spec to learn it. What is on the spec is the genome sequencing which is what ive summaried in my previous post.
    ddNTP and NTP are not in the book , do we need to know about these?
    By the chain terminator reaction you mean modified nucleotide terminator base right..?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Dunn0)
    Can someone please help explain what exactly we need to know about artifical selection of wheat?
    Thanks
    If you have the OCR Biology A2 book (Sue Hocking, Pete someone etc.) then there are only a few boxes on it on page 145.

It explains what Artificial Selection is:
    • 1. Humans select the organism with useful/beneficial characteristics.
      2. Humans allow these organisms to breed and don't allow the other characteristics to breed.
      3. Repeat

Then it explains how bread wheat has been cross-bred with grass and goat grass to produce a nucleus with 42 chromosomes as opposed to the normal 14 chromosomes (:confused: - Don't know why we need to know that).

It explains (in no detail) that winter wheat can be grown in the UK for soft grains and spring wheat has harder grains (and can be grown where Winter's are harsher) and that this wheat is also suitable for bread.

Finally, it talks about how research is ongoing into areas to increase the potential of wheat to include:
    • 1. Resistance to infections, disease and extreme weather.
      2. High(er) protein content.
      3. Increase yield.
      4. Increase stem stiffness (I'm guessing for higher durability)

That's it :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidms001)
    If you have the OCR Biology A2 book (Sue Hocking, Pete someone etc.) then there are only a few boxes on it on page 145.

2. Humans allow these organisms to breed and don't allow the other characteristics to breed.
      3. Repeat

Then it explains how bread wheat has been cross-bred with grass and goat grass to produce a nucleus with 42 chromosomes as opposed to the normal 14 chromosomes (:confused: - Don't know why we need to know that).

It explains (in no detail) that winter wheat can be grown in the UK for soft grains and spring wheat has harder grains (and can be grown where Winter's are harsher) and that this wheat is also suitable for bread.

Finally, it talks about how research is ongoing into areas to increase the potential of wheat to include:
      3. Increase yield.

I lold at that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dunn0)
    Thanks
    Manchester Medics 2011 :crown: :five:

ReputationRep:
    Some revision power point slide things for the F215 exam..
    not very detailed but cover most points.

Good luck for the exam
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: ppt A2_Revision_Card_Slides.ppt (253.5 KB, 153 views)

ReputationRep:
    HEEEEEEELPPPPPPP

Does anyone have the OCR revision guide, the one with a brain on it?
    If so, could someone please explain an end-of-unit" question for me,
    Relates to the Hardy-Weinberg principle..

Page 103, Q14 b (iii)

FREAKING OUT.

ReputationRep:
    How are most people revising? I am absolutely crapping myself about this exam!!

I have gone through the specification and answered it all using my notes and the text book and I am now just learning my answers to the specification if that makes any sense?
    I will do past papers soon too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoMatrix)
    ddNTP and NTP are not in the book , do we need to know about these?
    By the chain terminator reaction you mean modified nucleotide terminator base right..?
    ddNTP and NTP aren't in the textbook, as they just refer to it as free nucleotides and a nucleotide terminator base. ddNTP and NTP are used in the OCR A2 revision guide, its just gone into a bit more detail. and yeh chain terminator reaction is the modified nucleotide terminator base.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcfilly)
    How are most people revising? I am absolutely crapping myself about this exam!!

I have gone through the specification and answered it all using my notes and the text book and I am now just learning my answers to the specification if that makes any sense?
    I will do past papers soon too!
    Thats pretty much exactly what I've been doing. Once I feel good about a topic or just feel like I need to go over it I'll write down everything I can remember about it and then 'mark it' if that make sense.

I'm going over questions in the book/revision guide and past papers this week, now we're getting closer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    Thats pretty much exactly what I've been doing. Once I feel good about a topic or just feel like I need to go over it I'll write down everything I can remember about it and then 'mark it' if that make sense.

I'm going over questions in the book/revision guide and past papers this week, now we're getting closer
    cool, I am glad you're doing similar things to me! yeh I keep testing myself and stuff! I really don't know what else I can do! It is weird though because I seem to know most of the stuff i have learnt from learning the specification but I am still feeling like really unconfident! I hate exams!! What do you need to get in this exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcfilly)
    cool, I am glad you're doing similar things to me! yeh I keep testing myself and stuff! I really don't know what else I can do! It is weird though because I seem to know most of the stuff i have learnt from learning the specification but I am still feeling like really unconfident! I hate exams!! What do you need to get in this exam?
    Yeah sometimes the more I go over the something the more worried I get that I've missed something out! I hate that mentality but it's really hard to sit there and tell yourself 'I know all of the content, I CAN do this!'

For a B I need an E or something, but I'm really after an A. So that's 111 UMS, which if my calculation is right makes it a B in this paper and tbh I think I might struggle to get! I hate this module so much. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    I need a B in this exam to get a B over all I am dreading it!
    It's just horrible cuz this exam is pretty much determining whether or not I get into uni haha!

Which parts of the module are you finding most difficult?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sometimes the more I go over the something the more worried I get that I've missed something out! I hate that mentality but it's really hard to sit there and tell yourself 'I know all of the content, I CAN do this!'

For a B I need an E or something, but I'm really after an A. So that's 111 UMS, which if my calculation is right makes it a B in this paper and tbh I think I might struggle to get! I hate this module so much. How about you?
    I need a B in this exam to get a B over all I am dreading it!
    It's just horrible cuz this exam is pretty much determining whether or not I get into uni haha!

Which parts of the module are you finding most difficult?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

:five:

No pressure then :rofl:

ReputationRep:

How long have you been revising for f215 if I may ask?

ReputationRep:

yeah for a B i need 39/150 which is an E haha, but for an A i need 99/150 which is a C, but still dreading this exam... i NEED an A for my course

just wish i'd done better in my practicals, then the pressure would be almost completely off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YuDunno)
    Manchester Medics 2011 :crown: :five:
    I love Manchester =)
    Did you firm it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidms001)

3. Repeat

3. Increase yield.

Thanks a lot, really helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontPropositionMe)
    How long have you been revising for f215 if I may ask?
    Casually about a month, but it's only since last Monday that I've really started to put my head down. It's worked for the other modules, but I feel quite unprepared this time! How about you?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.