Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Currently on industrial enzymes, should have genomes finished by Tuesday. Then I'll start on Ecosystems and whizz through that(seems small compared to the rest)

Then, go over everything and revise module 4 to

ReputationRep:
    This exam is really weird for me, because the teacher who's covering the cellular control stuff and responding to the environment is absolutely amazing, and i know those units really well. But the other one whose doing the other 2 units, is a pure retarded gummy bear, who physically makes me want to cut myself.

So im at loss, the dude whose amazing said he'll cover all of her stuff by the exam, but im scared that's gonna put us under immense pressure.

Anyone in a similar position in regards to the teaching situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefirstnotlastsamurai)
    This exam is really weird for me, because the teacher who's covering the cellular control stuff and responding to the environment is absolutely amazing, and i know those units really well. But the other one whose doing the other 2 units, is a pure retarded gummy bear, who physically makes me want to cut myself.

So im at loss, the dude whose amazing said he'll cover all of her stuff by the exam, but im scared that's gonna put us under immense pressure.

Anyone in a similar position in regards to the teaching situation?
    Get on TSR and expect answers from ibysaiyan. Need any help in this module,post your question with me quoted.
    I have to go to work now,see you later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Get on TSR and expect answers from ibysaiyan. Need any help in this module,post your question with me quoted.
    Sounds good to me

ReputationRep:
    Definitely watching this thread! It's early but has made me motivated to get some serious revision done this holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    I was wondering if you could explain genetic sequencing for me(the first spread on genomes in the heinmann book) - I don't understand the BAC sequencing - once you do electophersis - how do you sequence and reassemble the code?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waqar Y)
    I was wondering if you could explain genetic sequencing for me(the first spread on genomes in the heinmann book) - I don't understand the BAC sequencing - once you do electophersis - how do you sequence and reassemble the code?
    Same here.

I dont get the link between BAC and the Automated sequencing method. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waqar Y)
    Electrophoresis*
    Well once the process of electrophoresis is done then you're nearly finished with the whole sequencing.In the last stages of electrophoresis is actually when sequencing happens:
    i.e shorter dna fragments travel much quicker/face less friction compared to larger dna fragments which travel slow through the agarose gel,which is present within this tube.
    Since the ends of these fragments are tagged sequencing gets much more convenient.At the end of the discharge tube a laser beam shines through the oncoming fragments,this data is then sent to the computer which calculates the data ,by either taking into consideration the time it took for that particular fragment to reach or it's velocity .A different approach is taken in which basically a sheet of metal paper is pressed against the tube,entrapping location of various fragments.The tagged nucleotides are radioactive in nature as such decay beta radiation,so a photographic film is put over ,which gives us a sequence.

ibysaiyan

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm also doing this exam

Does anyone know which papers from the old syllabus are relevant to this coming exam?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Also, does anyone have the Jan 11 paper?

ReputationRep:
    Haven't been revising this :s. Mainly because I told my teacher I had started revision and she said don't start f215 yet because the unit is so large, that by the time you come to the end you would have forgotten the first half, hence I'm going to start exactly a month before the exam. Tbh don't think I am going to do well on this exam anyway, luckily I only need a D in this exam to get my B overall! Oh I forgot I'm the thread starter *chuckles*

ReputationRep:
    i will be self teaching most of this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    how you guys tackle the isa's
    they're my weakest point
    i need 15/20 on my next one.

ReputationRep:
    subscribe think I need to get a B in this exam to get an A overall (which is what I need to meet my offer) but somehow i managed to scrape 90% in jan so am going to aim for 90%+ to get an A*. Finding some of the genetics pretty hard though!!

ReputationRep:
    how you guys tackle the isa's
    they're my weakest point
    i need 15/20 on my next one.
    What is your next one on/what type is it?
    I didn't do much revision for them - just read around the topic you're doing it on to get an idea of what's going on Most of it is guess work (well at least in my case anyway...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    subscribe think I need to get a B in this exam to get an A overall (which is what I need to meet my offer) but somehow i managed to scrape 90% in jan so am going to aim for 90%+ to get an A*. Finding some of the genetics pretty hard though!!
    Post your questions here and good luck! =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lola1993)
    What is your next one on/what type is it?
    I didn't do much revision for them - just read around the topic you're doing it on to get an idea of what's going on Most of it is guess work (well at least in my case anyway...)
    its on respiration

wtf do i write for design changes, i think that where i lose my marks

like how can u improve reliability

or things that were kept constant.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    its on respiration

wtf do i write for design changes, i think that where i lose my marks

like how can u improve reliability

or things that were kept constant.
    i did that one ages ago so i can't really remember.. sorry - good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biology12345)
    yh iv bin havin same problem one min it sez chromatid and then chromosome can any1 tell me wats differance please ?
    chromosomes basically have their own centromere whereas chromatids share a centromere, the centromere is the bit they are pulled apart by in mitosis, chromatids are usually identical to each otyher as they are the result of dna replication in interpahase however in interkinesis(the bit before meiosis 2) the dna does not replicate so the two sister chromatids that split and become chromosomes in their own right are not genetcally identical
    hope this clears up any confusion

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.