Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfw)
    Can anyone explain this point of the specification:
    "Evaluate the experimental evidence for the role of auxins in the control of apical dominane and the role of gibberellin in the control of stem elongation"

Also, when talking about auxins and apical dominance do we just have to say when the tip is removed, auxin concentrations in the shoot drops and the buds grow because auxins normally inhibit growth of side shoots?

OR do we have to mention about abscisic acid inhibiting bud growth and high concentrations of auxin keeping concentrations of auxin high so when auxin is removed abscisic acid levels drop so buds grow?

This is page 224 of the OCR textbook
    auxins aren't the direct cause of bud growth inhibition which is the point of that spread. Auxin levels keep abscicic acid levels high, which keep Cytokinin levels low. once the apex is removed, auxin levels drop (because they're produced there), abscicic acid levels drop, and cytokinin levels can increase, promoting bud growth

gibberellins: they thought gibberellins promoted stem elongation. they took a shoot of a plant that had a mutation so that it couldn't convert Ga20 to Ga1 (i think?) and grafted it onto a plant with a mutation that couldn't produce any gibberellins due to it not having the enzyme necessary to convert ent-Kaurene to GA12-aldehyde.
    they found the plant grew tall, as it could use the Ga20 from the shoot grafted onto it which it couldn't use itself.

i ****ing hate this plant ****.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what page the link to the mark scheme for Jan 2011 F215 is on? I cant seem to find it anywhere.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    Does anyone know what page the link to the mark scheme for Jan 2011 F215 is on? I cant seem to find it anywhere.
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/53130830/O...11-Mark-Scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilsea05)
    auxins aren't the direct cause of bud growth inhibition which is the point of that spread. Auxin levels keep abscicic acid levels high, which keep Cytokinin levels low. once the apex is removed, auxin levels drop (because they're produced there), abscicic acid levels drop, and cytokinin levels can increase, promoting bud growth

gibberellins: they thought gibberellins promoted stem elongation. they took a shoot of a plant that had a mutation so that it couldn't convert Ga20 to Ga1 (i think?) and grafted it onto a plant with a mutation that couldn't produce any gibberellins due to it not having the enzyme necessary to convert ent-Kaurene to GA12-aldehyde.
    they found the plant grew tall, as it could use the Ga20 from the shoot grafted onto it which it couldn't use itself.

i ****ing hate this plant ****.
    Thanks a lot! I know how you feel, it's four pages in the text book but it seems like a huge topic!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Me too! Its going to be a long day...
    I have practically filled an A4 notebook with notes on everything. I've basically done my own textbook. But thats only cause I learn by writing it all down and making sense of it that way.
    Wow, I've done exactly the same...well we already have a textbook...but Biology contains so much information...writing it out makes it more memorable...especially in bullet point form The most annoying thing of all is, that only a few topics from the specification feature in the examination...its all a matter of knowing which topics to focus on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma237)
    I never understood hardy weinberg but worked my way through these questions

http://www.k-state.edu/parasitology/.../hardwein.html

and finally understand it!
    Thanks those are really helpful! Finally understand it too!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    Are your gut feelings usually right?
    in all honesty, 80% is usually right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rup)
    is your teacher involved in the examining process?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rup)
    Haha, I'll trust you then

ReputationRep:
    Would it be possible for someone to teach me about genetic diagrams? with an example? I literally have no idea and don't understand them at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcfilly)
    Would it be possible for someone to teach me about genetic diagrams? with an example? I literally have no idea and don't understand them at all
    It's quite hard to describe genetic diagrams over TSR. Have you read the examples in the OCR book over and over?
    try: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...ritance2.shtml for simple genetic diagrams (monohybird crosses)

or here: http://www.biotopics.co.uk/genes/crosses/gendia.html

ReputationRep:
    Mark Scheme for the specimen paper anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Define gene therapy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfw)
    It's quite hard to describe genetic diagrams over TSR. Have you read the examples in the OCR book over and over?
    try: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...ritance2.shtml for simple genetic diagrams (monohybird crosses)

or here: http://www.biotopics.co.uk/genes/crosses/gendia.html
    thank you x

ReputationRep:
    you know for the chi squared test - they always give us the formula in the exam.. well for the hardy weinberg principle will they give us the formula for that too?

ReputationRep:
    what kind of topics are most likely to come up? anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I found it in the end. Couldn't find it because it was hidden behind about 5 spoilers! Did you post it before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcfilly)
    you know for the chi squared test - they always give us the formula in the exam.. well for the hardy weinberg principle will they give us the formula for that too?
    I don't think so, but there's only a couple you need to know: p +q = 1 and p^2 +2pq + q^2 =1

If you do maths, just think binomial

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, on studying whole genomes atm, i've made my whole book from scratch on this a4 whsmith book that i brought.
    after i finish biotech today, ecosystems tommorow, behaviour on saturday then just pure reading only on sunday..fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomas...)
    I think the essay question has a high chance of being on plant growth substances.
    :yucky: I HATE PLANTS

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.