Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how many cycles of papers it takes until they've covered all the specification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyyy24)
    Does anyone know how many cycles of papers it takes until they've covered all the specification?
    every 3 years which I think is the 6th Paper, but we're only on the 3rd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfw)
    Just realized - In June 2010 there was a whole question on plant stuff worth 10 marks. "Explain why plants need to respond to their environment", Effects of Gibberellins/Abscisic acid and two marks for the commercial uses of plant growth substances.

Surely that only leaves role of hormones in leaf loss and role of auxins left to be examined on?
    Was'nt there a question on Stomata etc in AS paper? :confused: They could assess the Jun10 10 marker in a slightly different way...Examiners are aware candidates don't like questions on Plants...and just look at how F211 suprised everyone in Jan11 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    can someone write me a model answer to this question please?
    Explain the significance of crossing over and independent assortment during meiosis, and why they're important in increasing genetic variety?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intellectual1)
    Was'nt there a question on Stomata etc in AS paper? :confused: They could assess the Jun10 10 marker in a slightly different way...Examiners are aware candidates don't like questions on Plants...and just look at how F211 suprised everyone in Jan11 :rolleyes:
    The plant topic of F215 is still relatively small compared to the rest of it though. It's only six specification points and every specification point apart from evaluating experimental evidence, auxins and leaf loss has come up. Not too bad to revise really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfw)
    The plant topic of F215 is still relatively small compared to the rest of it though. It's only six specification points and every specification point apart from evaluating experimental evidence, auxins and leaf loss has come up. Not too bad to revise really
    Thanks for working that out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilsea05)
    can someone write me a model answer to this question please?
    Explain the significance of crossing over and independent assortment during meiosis, and why they're important in increasing genetic variety?
    I'd probably say;

Crossing over occurs during Prohpase I, and involves the exchange of genetic material between homologous maternal and paternal chromosomes in a bivalent. This results in new and unique combinations of genes on the chromosomes.
    When the bivalents line up at the equator during Metaphase I, the maternal and paternal chromasomes are arranged randomly (independently assorted), and this results in new combinations of genes in each of the 2 cells that are products of Meiosis I.
    Independent assortment and subsequent segregation of sister chromatids during Metaphase II serves a similar purpose, and results in different genetic material in each gamete cell produced. This, combined with the exchange of genes during crossing over, and the fact that sexual reproduction involves 2 genetically unrelated individuals means genetic variety between gamete cells, and consequentially offspring, is enormous.

The bits in bold are possible marking points. I reckon that's the key to this exam; think like a sadistic OCR examiner.

ReputationRep:
    Just noticed - There is a ten mark question on protein synthesis in the specimen paper and an 8 mark question on protein synthesis in the june 10 paper so i think we can almost guarentee that it won't come up? Although a nice 10 marker on trancription and translation would have been nice!

ReputationRep:
    It's 4 cycles to cover the whole specification. We got told by our teacher and I checked by going through the first four f211 papers and they covered everything.
    But it's not too much use as we are only the third paper. Anyway I predict anything from this list may come up : Apoptosis, Meiosis, Hardy-weinberg, palnt/animal cloning, growth curve, genome, almost anything from genetic engineering, succession, nitrogen cycle, galapagos islands, nervous systems, muscle contraction, inate behaviour

ReputationRep:
    innate innit

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me why Batch Culture is better for the production of Secondary metabolites and Continuous Culture is better for the production of Primary metabolites?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krammer26)
    It's 4 cycles to cover the whole specification. We got told by our teacher and I checked by going through the first four f211 papers and they covered everything.
    But it's not too much use as we are only the third paper. Anyway I predict anything from this list may come up : Apoptosis, Meiosis, Hardy-weinberg, palnt/animal cloning, growth curve, genome, almost anything from genetic engineering, succession, nitrogen cycle, galapagos islands, nervous systems, muscle contraction, inate behaviour
    I think its 6

ReputationRep:
    I pretty much worked out it'll be these exact same topics, went through last 2 and crossed them all off to get that list as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcfilly)
    Just noticed - There is a ten mark question on protein synthesis in the specimen paper and an 8 mark question on protein synthesis in the june 10 paper so i think we can almost guarentee that it won't come up? Although a nice 10 marker on trancription and translation would have been nice!
    I would agree Literally just doing that question! Now thinking there was not much point Would definitely focus a LOT of meiosis though!!

ReputationRep:
    Definitely agree here. Big mark questions likely to be on meiosis, succession, maybe muscle contraction or galapagos. Genetic engineering of Golden Rice looks likely sadly Do we have to know the actual method? I know it's not really mentioned in the OCR book but it's in the CGP book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakehartley123)
    Can anyone tell me why Batch Culture is better for the production of Secondary metabolites and Continuous Culture is better for the production of Primary metabolites?
    In a batch culture, the nutrients are only added once at the beginning of the process and hence go through the stationary phase (in a growth curve) where secondary metabolites are produced. These metabolites (antibiotics) help reduce competition from other microorganisms for the decreased level of nutrients.

In a continuous one, however, nutrients are continually added, hence more primary metabolites are produced as part of growth (i.e. it doesn't enter the stationary phase where nutrients are limited and instead is always at the exponential phase- if space in unlimited). The products can be taken at any intervals and there would always be a lot of primary metabolites.

Hope that helps!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash_federali2)
    In a batch culture, the nutrients are only added once at the beginning of the process and hence go through the stationary phase (in a growth curve) where secondary metabolites are produced. These metabolites (antibiotics) help reduce competition from other microorganisms for the decreased level of nutrients.

In a continuous one, however, nutrients are continually added, hence more primary metabolites are produced as part of growth (i.e. it doesn't enter the stationary phase where nutrients are limited and instead is always at the exponential phase- if space in unlimited). The products can be taken at any intervals and there would always be a lot of primary metabolites.

Hope that helps!!
    Nice one mate

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, Although it is unlikely that they will ask a question on the same topics as came up in Jan of this year, and June of last we don't know this for sure- so I'd advise still some revision on these areas unfortunatley We know what OCR are like, something might be repeated again! Good luck to everyone taking the exam- hope reasonable questions come up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by science rules! :))
    Hiya, Although it is unlikely that they will ask a question on the same topics as came up in Jan of this year, and June of last we don't know this for sure- so I'd advise still some revision on these areas unfortunatley We know what OCR are like, soemthing might be repeated.
    They repeat the questions which candidates found most difficult...PLANTS? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by science rules! :))
    Hiya, Although it is unlikely that they will ask a question on the same topics as came up in Jan of this year, and June of last we don't know this for sure- so I'd advise still some revision on these areas unfortunatley We know what OCR are like, something might be repeated again! Good luck to everyone taking the exam- hope reasonable questions come up!
    Good point, I've figured going over the two past papers is enough revision for this though? Studying the mark schemes seems key in F215

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.