Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_I)
    Thanks. Also do we need to know about Indolacetic acid (IAA)?
    I don't think so. I think it is just one form of an auxin. The general thing we need to know about auxins is that it -
    - promotes cell elongation
    - inhibits side shoots
    - inhibits leaf abscission

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suren_x)
    I don't think so. I think it is just one form of an auxin. The general thing we need to know about auxins is that it -
    - promotes cell elongation
    - inhibits side shoots
    - inhibits leaf abscission
    Oh ok.

One thing I don't get is this:

Its made in the shoot tips. If you remove the shoot tips, auxins not produced and it means side shoots can grow. The book says the side shoots grow by cell division and cell elongation. But I thought auxins cause cell elongation?

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone distinguish between reliability and accuracy?
    Also, Can they ask about validity?

Basically, all the OCR exams so far ive sat for biology this jan/june have a lot of reliability/accuracy questions and i always get them confused and thus wrong. They carry between 2-4 marks and its also 'How science works', so I have a bad feeling they're going to come up on Mondays exam.

Can anyone simple distinguish between them and keep it simple? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    Can anyone distinguish between reliability and accuracy?
    Also, Can they ask about validity?

Basically, all the OCR exams so far ive sat for biology this jan/june have a lot of reliability/accuracy questions and i always get them confused and thus wrong. They carry between 2-4 marks and its also 'How science works', so I have a bad feeling they're going to come up on Mondays exam.

Can anyone simple distinguish between them and keep it simple? thanks
    Good call, I've always struggled on this one!
    Reliability = Repeats so that we can ignore anomalies
    Accuracy = I think this means keeping variables the same, e.g. same temperature. Basically allowing for a fair test.

Sound about right anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I have done all of the current past papers so I guess I am going to have to start doing the legacy ones - any idea what exam codes for the old course link to the f215 one we are doing now?

ReputationRep:
    Oh I thought this was a thread about the computer rooms in Engineering at Warwick and got excited....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcfilly)
    Guys, I have done all of the current past papers so I guess I am going to have to start doing the legacy ones - any idea what exam codes for the old course link to the f215 one we are doing now?
    I've always found legacy pretty useless tbf :/ Have you done the examination questions in the OCR book? They're lifted from legacy but they're specific to what we actually need to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosi M)
    Yeah eco systems is fussy! Probably have a heartattack when i go through the mark schemes soon.

Haha aw ok.. Yeah i know what you mean 'cos im not revising psycho at all right now and going crazy with biology and chemistry! So unless i dont stay awake continuously after chem, im probably getting a U in psychology too!
    I got an A in that one and i'll probably get the total opposite this time

Chem is less content and theory is not that bad but the exams are ................................ ............... haha. Exam questions are freaky because of the application. Its all application.

Yep im going uni hopefully! Hoping to do Optometry at Manchester. How about you?
    Haha me too! Just 3 days left...

Yeah it's always my last exam i do badly in because i'm so tired and i just can't be bothered anymore Aw, i'm sure you'll do well in them, just keep revising and think of how good summer will be after they're over

Aww that's cool, optometry sounds really interesting. I'm doing Zoology at Queen Mary in london hopefullyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfw)
    I've always found legacy pretty useless tbf :/ Have you done the examination questions in the OCR book? They're lifted from legacy but they're specific to what we actually need to know.
    Yeh same - they are rubbish but I don't know what else to do

I was just about to do the ones in the book but i find it pretty useless if i don't have a mark scheme to see how i have done - and our teachers are idiots and took away all of the exam cafe discs with the mark scheme on.. is there any way if anyone has them they can post them on here?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help me with Gene and body plans - Homeobox sequences!!!! dont understand it at all!!!

Just summarise the two pages on it... so i can atleast understand it.....PLEASEEEEEEEE!!!!

SOMEONEEE??????????????

ReputationRep:
    Compare + contrast synapse and neuromuscular Junction
    Anyone have a good set of comparisons?

ReputationRep:

I was just about to do the ones in the book but i find it pretty useless if i don't have a mark scheme to see how i have done - and our teachers are idiots and took away all of the exam cafe discs with the mark scheme on.. is there any way if anyone has them they can post them on here?
    Underneath each question it gives the unit code and exam session, something like 2804 Jun 04 or whatever. Just type this into Google along with "mark scheme" and the answers should come up I lost my C.D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jak67m)
    Can someone please help me with Gene and body plans - Homeobox sequences!!!! dont understand it at all!!!

Just summarise the two pages on it... so i can atleast understand it.....PLEASEEEEEEEE!!!!

SOMEONEEE??????????????
    (i) explain that the genes that control development of body plans are similar in plants, animals and fungi,
    with reference to homeobox sequences;

Homeotic genes are similar in plants, animals and fungi. These genes control the
    development of body plans and are expressed in specific patterns and in particular stages
    of development depending on when they are activated.
    The homeobox is a sequence of DNA that codes for a region of 60 amino acids, and the
    resulting protein is found in most, if not all, eukaryotes. The region binds to DNA so that
    they can regulate transcription. In animals the homeobox is common in genes concerned
    with the control of developmental events, such as segmentation, the establishment of the
    anterior-posterior axis and the activation of genes coding for body parts such as limbs

Thats all you have to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    (i) explain that the genes that control development of body plans are similar in plants, animals and fungi,
    with reference to homeobox sequences;

Homeotic genes are similar in plants, animals and fungi. These genes control the
    development of body plans and are expressed in specific patterns and in particular stages
    of development depending on when they are activated.
    The homeobox is a sequence of DNA that codes for a region of 60 amino acids, and the
    resulting protein is found in most, if not all, eukaryotes. The region binds to DNA so that
    they can regulate transcription. In animals the homeobox is common in genes concerned
    with the control of developmental events, such as segmentation, the establishment of the
    anterior-posterior axis and the activation of genes coding for body parts such as limbs

Thats all you have to know.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    NEUROMUSCULAR JUNCTIONS
    Neurotransmitter – acetylcholine
    Receptors on PS membrane – nicotinic cholinergic receptors
    Number of receptors - lots
    Postsynaptic cell – muscle
    Postsynaptic membrane – clefts with Acetyl cholinesterase
    Effect of neurotransmitter binding to postsynaptic receptors – muscle cell always contracts
    Removal of neurotransmitter – broken down by Acetyl cholinesterase

SYNAPSES BETWEEN NEURONES

Neurotransmitter – various
    Receptors on PS membrane – various
    Number of receptors – fewer
    Postsynaptic cell – neurone
    Postsynaptic membrane – smooth
    Effect of neurotransmitter binding to postsynaptic receptors – action potential may or may not fire in the next neurone
    Removal of neurotransmitter – various ways depending on the neurotransmitter

ReputationRep:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...581226&page=14

scroll to the bottom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_I)
    Oh ok.

One thing I don't get is this:

Its made in the shoot tips. If you remove the shoot tips, auxins not produced and it means side shoots can grow. The book says the side shoots grow by cell division and cell elongation. But I thought auxins cause cell elongation?
    Yeah but there is another factor in play between auxin concentrations and growth inhibition.
    Book says:
    The shoot tips contain high levels of auxin. High levels of auxin keep abscisic acid concentractions high in the bud. So when the shoot tip is removed. The absicic acid concentration falls. Abscisic acid inhibits seed germination and growth. So if the concentration of abscisic acid falls, seed germination and growth can occur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    Haha me too! Just 3 days left...

Yeah it's always my last exam i do badly in because i'm so tired and i just can't be bothered anymore Aw, i'm sure you'll do well in them, just keep revising and think of how good summer will be after they're over

Aww that's cool, optometry sounds really interesting. I'm doing Zoology at Queen Mary in london hopefullyyy

Cant wait till summer!
    Zoology sounds interesting! What is it about?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody also do OCR Chemistry? (Wednesday exam F325) How are you balancing both?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosi M)
    Anybody also do OCR Chemistry? (Wednesday exam F325) How are you balancing both?
    Indeed. Balancing it with great difficulty, made notes on it, but I think I'll do past papers all Tuesday

I have AQA lit on Thursday as well, I haven't even started for it! :eek:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.