Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suren_x)
    Yeah but there is another factor in play between auxin concentrations and growth inhibition.
    Book says:
    The shoot tips contain high levels of auxin. High levels of auxin keep abscisic acid concentractions high in the bud. So when the shoot tip is removed. The absicic acid concentration falls. Abscisic acid inhibits seed germination and growth. So if the concentration of abscisic acid falls, seed germination and growth can occur.
    What's absicic acid exactly? Is it a growth hormone or a type of auxin?

I think I get it, but I swear all the plant stuff contradicts itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosi M)
    Anybody also do OCR Chemistry? (Wednesday exam F325) How are you balancing both?
    I dooo To be perfectly honest I've done none for it and don't plan to till next Tuesday
    I find Chemistry okay, just need to remember the equations and stuff I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_I)
    What's absicic acid exactly? Is it a growth hormone or a type of auxin?

I think I get it, but I swear all the plant stuff contradicts itself.
    Yeah abscisic acid is just another plant hormone. Yeah it does! I just managed to understand that when I explained it to you lol

ReputationRep:
    Anybody also do OCR Chemistry? (Wednesday exam F325) How are you balancing both?
    Im doing both. Its gunna be a tough week, got a geog exam on the tuesday as well :facepalm: I thought the chem exam would be the hardest, but now i've done lots of work for that, im feeling confident and less confident for this one its hard balancing all this revision.

ReputationRep:
    Hows revision getting along?

Im sat on the computer, going through random bits from the book, reading computer notes and god knows what else. All over the place

This is really badly stressful. Not healthy at all!
    Yes it is...but remember the grade boundaries are very low 45 - 65 differentiates the E from the A...ou tof 100 marks...so as long as you know 70% of the specification you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intellectual1)
    Yes it is...but remember the grade boundaries are very low 45 - 65 differentiates the E from the A...ou tof 100 marks...so as long as you know 70% of the specification you should be fine
    whut, are the grade boundaries usually that low? 65/100 for an A?
    That seems nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NWA)
    Im doing both. Its gunna be a tough week, got a geog exam on the tuesday as well :facepalm: I thought the chem exam would be the hardest, but now i've done lots of work for that, im feeling confident and less confident for this one its hard balancing all this revision.
    Some of my friends are surviving on energy drinks and pro plus :eek: The examiners probably get together and ensure we can not cram at all between the exams...if you look at January 2012...there's no generous half term + another week like this yr...it is very intense...and June 2012...is sooooo intense exam after exam that it really does make sense to do as well as you can this summer!

How you balance it all? Chemistry is not that difficult...the mark schemes are very straight forward...Biology can have a 7 mark question and 17 marking points...knowing how to use all the key words.

At the PhilipAllan conference...they kept stressing the importance of recognising the Synoptic links between all the concepts....and more so about the data graph questions....if you look through the papers...there's usually one question on a graph and explanation for trend or whatever it shows...hmmm

ReputationRep:
    Yeah abscisic acid is just another plant hormone. Yeah it does! I just managed to understand that when I explained it to you lol
    lol...yeah sometimes it helps to explain it to someone else

ReputationRep:
    anyone have any practise questions for working out growth in producers or net productivity because im kind of stuck :/ (maybe make some up on the spot :P)

ReputationRep:

(Original post by amyyy24)
    Indeed. Balancing it with great difficulty, made notes on it, but I think I'll do past papers all Tuesday

I have AQA lit on Thursday as well, I haven't even started for it! :eek:
    Yeah same! It's an intense week especially as they decide our unis . I'm ok with Chem and still scared for Bio after loads of practice and knowing the content :/
    I have the knowledge but I always mess up my wording!

ReputationRep:
    Cant wait till summer!
    Zoology sounds interesting! What is it about?
    Me too

Ah sorry, i only just saw your ucas signature Zoology is basically the same as straight biology but less plants/human bio and more evolution and field trips to study whales and orangutans haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intellectual1)
    Some of my friends are surviving on energy drinks and pro plus :eek: The examiners probably get together and ensure we can not cram at all between the exams...if you look at January 2012...there's no generous half term + another week like this yr...it is very intense...and June 2012...is sooooo intense exam after exam that it really does make sense to do as well as you can this summer!

How you balance it all? Chemistry is not that difficult...the mark schemes are very straight forward...Biology can have a 7 mark question and 17 marking points...knowing how to use all the key words.

At the PhilipAllan conference...they kept stressing the importance of recognising the Synoptic links between all the concepts....and more so about the data graph questions....if you look through the papers...there's usually one question on a graph and explanation for trend or whatever it shows...hmmm
    I'm managing, most of this week i have concentrated on chem, and today and this weekend im focusing on bio ( dunno when im gunna fit geog in ) and yeah your right, tbh i learn't most of the content for biology round easter, so now im just learning the mark schemes and refreshing that information. I just find chemistry harder, all the equations and calculations...eurgh. Much prefer the organic stuff. And there is NO way im failing this year, im not paying 3x as much for uni in 2012, i think thats the only thing keeping me going ha.

ReputationRep:
    is rhizobium responsible for nitrogen fixation or nitrification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princess_perfect786)
    is rhizobium responsible for nitrogen fixation or nitrification?
    Nitrogen fixation

ReputationRep:
    Rhizobium bacteria reacts with nitrogen to form ammonia ... it has a mutualistic relationship with the plant .. thats all i can remember :0
    I hope nitrogen doesnt come up

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone use the CGP OCR A2 guide here? How have you found it? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontPropositionMe)
    its quite useful for some bits but the ornithine cycle is not shown!!! and there was a massive question on it in the june 2010 paper (for f214)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontPropositionMe)
    Hey, yes I do!It's really good I think. I read over the CGP information first as its more simplified and helps you understand the general concept and then use the OCR Heinemann one as that goes into more detail and relates to the spec much better!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, you are right. Abscisic acid is another plant hormone/ plant growth regulator in its own right. General functions of abscisic acid are the closure of stomata when there is low water availability/ the plant is stressed. Also inhitits seed germination.
    Whereas, auxins promote cell elongation. Also apical dominance- growth of apical buds inhibits the growth of lateral buds further down the stem.

Remember we also need to knwo about the commercial use of plant hormones- a few examples are;

Artificial auxins- are used in rooting powder and encourages root growth. Auxins also used to prevent gruit drop, and artificial herbicides to kill weeds.

Gibberellins- act with cytokinins to cause cell elongation, so that apples have a round shape. gibberellins delay leaf senescence, extends the time that citrus fruits grow on trees.

Cytokinins- used in tissue culture for growth of teh shoot stem.
    Delay leaf senescence also, e.g. prevent yellowing of cabbage leaves.

Ethene- prevent self pollination in cucumbers which prevent a bitter taste !? Easy to remember. speed up fruit ripening in apples and citrus fruit. Promote fruit drop in walnuts and cotton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazam)
    Rhizobium bacteria reacts with nitrogen to form ammonia ... it has a mutualistic relationship with the plant .. thats all i can remember :0
    I hope nitrogen doesnt come up
    Rhizobium bacteria convert nitrogen in the atmosphere to nitrates (and also ammonium ions) in the soil. Yes, rhizobium bacteria have a mutualistic relationship with the plant. Theyprovide the plant with fixed nitrogen and gain carbon compounds such as glucose in return.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.