Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    Hello, everybody This may seem a bit early, but for the more eager student's this could be a beneficial time to share important revision technique's and any additional information you would like to share.

I know for me, I need a B in biology! And Im scared I won't get it to so have started revising. On ecosystem's at the moment.

Im sure many of you have started revision, so lets share the misery :cool:
    Perhaps you could make a list of useful phrases or acronyms in the OP?

For example; tropomyosin stopomyosin head groups attatching
    or the 4 S's: Sympathetic nervous system
    Stress is when its activated
    Short preganglionic neurones
    Spinal cord is where ganglions are found just outside of

or ( not very tasteful but useful :P) POsterior - POO comes out of your BACK end
    so posterior is back of the head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjenkins)
    hey guys.... the head of biology at my school writes the F215 Summer Paper and she said that what was written in the text book about homeobox genes and apoptosis was not how she liked and so wrote us a couple a4 sheets on it.... dunno if im looking into it too much but it could be a sign they may come up....
    my friend has her as a teacher and said that when he asked her about coppicing during a lesson earlier this year she said it wasnt important to know details like that....

hope that helps
    Could you possibly scan those sheets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjenkins)
    its not like that... SHE HATES ME (said i was going to fail then got 100% in f212).... but i will ask my mate that has her what she has been overly thorough over then post here
    How is the author of the F215 exam teaching biology at a school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfw)
    How is the author of the F215 exam teaching biology at a school?
    AND its written something like 5 years ago so they aren't able to remember specific exams as they write them every year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)
    meiosis II is ultimately very similar to mitosis
    - if you have trouble remembering mitosis they're very much similar except in meiosis 1 its the bivalent splitting to 2 chromosomes and in meiosis 2 its the chromosomes splitting to 2 chromatids

remember you need meiosis 2 in order to half the chromosome number in order to produce gametes
    right okay i have wrote that down! i think it is a psychological thing too i just don't think i can remember it all! it's this and genetic diagrams i need to learn. and look up epistasis.. thank you.

ReputationRep:
    AND its written something like 5 years ago so they aren't able to remember specific exams as they write them every year...
    unless they kept papers :ninja:

but obviously not, because they're clearly bull*****ing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebeccalouise_92)
    right okay i have wrote that down! i think it is a psychological thing too i just don't think i can remember it all! it's this and genetic diagrams i need to learn. and look up epistasis.. thank you.
    Its ok i used to feel exactly the same about meiosis! But sit down with it for an hour and just rewrite it and highlight the parts you consistently miss - its boring but my guess is it will come up
    And I found it hard to find a good definition for epistasis so a friend put together these:

Recessive Epistasis:
    Where the presence of homozygous genotype of recessive alleles at one locus masks or affects the expression of a different gene at another locus.

Dominant Epistasis:
    Where the presence of homozygous or heterozygous genotype of dominant allele(s) at one locus masks or affects the expression of a different gene at another locus.

ReputationRep:
    There is a diagram of peripheral nervous system with nerves named and all, reckon its a one to ignore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V.sey)
    There is a diagram of peripheral nervous system with nerves named and all, reckon its a one to ignore?
    Aye - its impossible to say but by all likeliness it goes into FAR too much detail - go by the bold points in the top left of the spread they're the specification points the spread aims to cover

ReputationRep:
    Its ok i used to feel exactly the same about meiosis! But sit down with it for an hour and just rewrite it and highlight the parts you consistently miss - its boring but my guess is it will come up
    And I found it hard to find a good definition for epistasis so a friend put together these:

Recessive Epistasis:
    Where the presence of homozygous genotype of recessive alleles at one locus masks or affects the expression of a different gene at another locus.

Dominant Epistasis:
    Where the presence of homozygous or heterozygous genotype of dominant allele(s) at one locus masks or affects the expression of a different gene at another locus.
    i feel like i've been learning biology for a lifetime and still not learnt the whole course ! soooo annoying. right okay, i will try that even though i've been sat doing one maths paper for about 4 hrs :| ha. yes i think meiosis may come up, also either human insulin/g.e rice! any other guesses??

ReputationRep:
    Aye - its impossible to say but by all likeliness it goes into FAR too much detail - go by the bold points in the top left of the spread they're the specification points the spread aims to cover
    Sure thanks

ReputationRep:
    i feel like i've been learning biology for a lifetime and still not learnt the whole course ! soooo annoying. right okay, i will try that even though i've been sat doing one maths paper for about 4 hrs :| ha. yes i think meiosis may come up, also either human insulin/g.e rice! any other guesses??
    I knot its absolutely huge not sure about insulin I think I saw it on a past paper/specimin. I think the muscle stuff will come up and cloning and sequencing

But on the other hand its a pointless game guessing - you need to cover absolutley everything so you have absolute confidence before entering the exam - you don't want to have anxiety about what will come up

ReputationRep:
    Nevermind, I found the paper on Page 12, is where it's at in case anyone is looking for it.

I also found the mark scheme, not sure if it's on the thread.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf 53130830-OCR-F215-Control-Genomes-and-Environment-January-2011-Mark-Scheme.pdf (403.5 KB, 106 views)

ReputationRep:
    I knot its absolutely huge not sure about insulin I think I saw it on a past paper/specimin. I think the muscle stuff will come up and cloning and sequencing

But on the other hand its a pointless game guessing - you need to cover absolutley everything so you have absolute confidence before entering the exam - you don't want to have anxiety about what will come up
    okayyy, yes i know but it's so i can tick it off in my mind! haha. right im going to learn meiosis, and then maybe try a past paper coz tbh i have avoided looking at them !

ReputationRep:
    okayyy, yes i know but it's so i can tick it off in my mind! haha. right im going to learn meiosis, and then maybe try a past paper coz tbh i have avoided looking at them !
    Haha good luck! PM me if you need to

ReputationRep:
    What's the chances of another 'impossible question' mess up do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    Oh my, Core 4 on Monday is terrifying me even more after that news!! Luckily it'll be a lot harder to mess up in this biology paper, we hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfw)
    Oh my, Core 4 on Monday is terrifying me even more after that news!! Luckily it'll be a lot harder to mess up in this biology paper, we hope
    Haha yeah hopefully
    Ahh I'm so glad I'm not on OCR for maths, I'd be so nervous
    Dw though I'm sure they've checked them about a million times after all that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    Explain how the first every living organism came about....

O.o

ReputationRep:
    Explain how the first every living organism came about....

O.o
    :eek:
    Don't scare me!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.