(Original post by Waqar Y)
    it's basically

p = dominant allele
    q = reccesive allele

p2 = homozygous dominant
    q2 = homozygous reccesive

2pq = heterozygote

p2xq2x2pq = 1 (everyone has alleles)
    So in terms of the frequency of genotypes in cystic fibrosis CFCF x cfcf x CFcf and those are the only options and so = 100% Sorry stating the obvious here working it through! The book has a nice example, I'll work that through in a second. Thank you! It's good trying to vocalise it instead of just staring at the page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgie298)
    So in terms of the frequency of genotypes in cystic fibrosis CFCF x cfcf x CFcf and those are the only options and so = 100% Sorry stating the obvious here working it through! The book has a nice example, I'll work that through in a second. Thank you! It's good trying to vocalise it instead of just staring at the page
    CAREFUL there's an error in that book! when it says "q^2 is the frequency of the genotype cFcf it"
    it should say "q^2 is the frequency of the genotype cfcf" (all lower case)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)
    Ah that's awesome! I Wanted to be a vet for ages - would love to do zoology!
    I'd actually hate to be a vet But yeah, I'm so excited for uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    I'd actually hate to be a vet But yeah, I'm so excited for uni
    Haha fair enough - I'm not so keen on it anymore
    Me too - kinda a bit like blergh though the work will be phenominal!

ReputationRep:
    Hey. Just wondered whether anyone knew how much we should known on the Hardy-Weinburg Principle? I've grasped (well can copy from my notes, but by Monday!) that its a measure of genetic diversity among a group of individuals. And that its a mathematical model to calculate allele frequencies in populations with dominant and recessive alleles and the assumptions but do we need to remember the formula and how to manipulate it. I've tried to work it through and I know I wont remember it properly. Thank you.
    Hiya, yes it is important to remember that the Hardy Weinberg equation is used to measure allele frequencies in a population.
    You need to remember the equations
    q2 + p2 + 2pq = 1
    and
    p + q = 1
    Look for the recessive trait first and this is represented by q2
    Work out q by taking the square root
    To work out p;
    Use 1-q
    If asked for the percentage of those who are heterozygous do
    2 x q(calculated) x p (caclulated)
    convert decimal to percentage to multiplying by 100

Remember Hardy Weinberg relies on the fact;

Mating within a population is random
    No selective advantage for any genotype
    No mutation, migration, genetic drift
    Very large population size to eliminate sampling error

ReputationRep:
    It's ok if you have any questions you can always ask but I think its a case of just plugging in numbers they give you and knowing what the symbols mean so you can know what numbers to put where the best way for you to practice is a worksheet:

http://www.biologycorner.com/workshe...weinberg2.html
    Thank you, I'll have a peak in a moment. Surprisingly this is calming me down, needed you guys last night!
    p.s, Love your video. I'm a recent convert to FT, and now a total fiend. Thankfully, I've seen the light. He's an absolute genius.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I'll have a peak in a moment. Surprisingly this is calming me down, needed you guys last night!
    p.s, Love your video. I'm a recent convert to FT, and now a total fiend. Thankfully, I've seen the light. He's an absolute genius.
    Haha TSR Is very useful but I get far less done
    I know I spent a long time taking the constant p*** out of my friend for liking him - but just for the banter sake then i realised he's actually damn good :P Now He's always blaring out of my speakers - like now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by science rules! :))
    Hiya, yes it is important to remember that the Hardy Weinberg equation is used to measure allele frequencies in a population.
    You need to remember the equations
    q2 + p2 + 2pq = 1
    and
    p + q = 1
    Look for the recessive trait first and this is represented by q2
    Work out q by taking the square root
    To work out p;
    Use 1-q
    If asked for the percentage of those who are heterozygous do
    2 x q(calculated) x p (caclulated)
    convert decimal to percentage to multiplying by 100

Remember Hardy Weinberg relies on the fact;

Mating within a population is random
    No selective advantage for any genotype
    No mutation, migration, genetic drift
    Very large population size to eliminate sampling error
    That's amazing! Think it's seeing it without all the other silly words getting in the way, that makes a lot more sense finally. Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Haha fair enough - I'm not so keen on it anymore
    Me too - kinda a bit like blergh though the work will be phenominal!
    Yeah I do like animals but I think it would be a bit boring, and I'm more interested in the theory and research side of things, plus there's awesome field trips with Zoology haha :cool:

Haha yeah I can't wait, it's kind of scary though Where are you going?

ReputationRep:
    Haha TSR Is very useful but I get far less done
    I know I spent a long time taking the constant p*** out of my friend for liking him - but just for the banter sake then i realised he's actually damn good :P Now He's always blaring out of my speakers - like now
    Glad you've learnt to appreciate him. I blindly listened to him after my friend was raving about him and loved his sound and then by some fluke actually listened to the words and was blown away! Have EKMB on at the mo so I don't have to search and distract myself, Redemption just came on, v. happy. Have you heard about Ben Marwood? On a vid of Photosynthesis on youtube Frank says you have to listen to him otherwise he'll chop your legs off, so I did... Last night, and he's pretty awesome too. We're diluting the F215'ness, even if it is a good cause, we'd probably better keep to topic! But nice to meet a fellow convert.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me clarify what this point in the spec means, its in animal responses

'Describe the role of the brain and nervous system in the co-ordination of muscular movement'

The textbook seems to be rather vague :/ thanks!

ReputationRep:
    seeing as you only need 122 for an A*, how do you revise???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportycricketer)
    seeing as you only need 122 for an A*, how do you revise???
    only need? wish I saw it like that :P
    I have an A4 page of coloured notes for every double page spread in the textbook. Then I complete that about a week prior to the exam then just read over it and anything I'm not confident on I'll write out essays on them and rewrite them with whatever I missed.
    Also I love using past papers and use all the resources I can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma237)
    Can someone help me clarify what this point in the spec means, its in animal responses

'Describe the role of the brain and nervous system in the co-ordination of muscular movement'

The textbook seems to be rather vague :/ thanks!
    I think it means referring to the two parts of the brain - Cerebrum/cerebral cortex is the control of conscious movement and voluntary muscles involved in activities such as boxing
    The cerebellum is the to do with muscle coordination and balance i.e an activity such as walking which we do not need to think about as we do

EDIT: Also you can obviously going into neuromuscular junctions when talking about the nervous system and it being the somatic nervous system as opposed to the autonomic!

ReputationRep:
    meiosis is going to come up, motor neurones will follow the sympathetic pathway and i will cry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebeccalouise_92)
    meiosis is going to come up, motor neurones will follow the sympathetic pathway and i will cry
    And then orgasm according to my textbook :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    And then orgasm according to my textbook :ninja:
    Thats after sexual arousal Lmao :P

ReputationRep:
    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Getting so stressed out with this exam ...There seems to be too much to take in
    How are you all coping?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManPowa)
    Thats after sexual arousal Lmao :P
    Will you hate me if I tell you thats the wrong nervous system ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YuDunno)
    Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Getting so stressed out with this exam ...There seems to be too much to take in
    How are you all coping?
    Me too There's soooo much content and the synoptic element is stressing me out haha :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.