The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kidms001
What sort of scores are people hitting on the past papers? :s-smilie:

About 65-75, you?
Why is everyone so worried about PCR? Isn't that just that the process of DNA amplification via diff temperatures? :s-smilie:
Original post by sportycricketer
Why is everyone so worried about PCR? Isn't that just that the process of DNA amplification via diff temperatures? :s-smilie:

I think it's got something to do with the question that came up in January, it was a really hard one as well and 9 marks :|
What sort of scores are people hitting on the past papers? :s-smilie:

dont worry too much...there's 5 marks between the E and D...and 6 marks between the A to B, B to C, C to D...it is matter of 6 marks on average that differentiates between each grade...ie the E is as alow as 37 - 40 whilst the A has been at 59 and 60 respectively in the Jan and Jun sessions...
Original post by Waqar Y
About 65-75, you?

only done the January 2011 paper - got 70. I've still got a few things to revise tho.

Jan 2011 had very little of plants and plant hormones, i believe there were only 5 marks in total, so i'm guessing that will come up on Monday.
Reply 1405
Original post by YuDunno
I can't remember the question, I remember missing it out though :confused:
maybe it will so.. go on.

Outline PCR :biggrin: .....

heat the dna to 95 degrees to break hydrogen bonds between complementary bases to produce to single strands of dna.
cool to 55 degrees to allow primers to complementary base pair with the 3' and 5' end. this allows dna polymerase to now bind onto the primers.
heat to 72degrees(optimum temp for dna polymerase) it can now form hydrogen bonds with complementary bases on each single stranded dna.
the enzyme is thermophillic.
you now have 2 copies of the same dna. this process may be repeated.
Original post by Waqar Y
About 65-75, you?

About the same. Have you done the specimen paper?
Original post by Waqar Y
I think it's got something to do with the question that came up in January, it was a really hard one as well and 9 marks :|

I've done the Jan paper, Do you remember what question is it? :/
Original post by sportycricketer
I've done the Jan paper, Do you remember what question is it? :/

Was the one where you had to compare PCR to in vivo something to do with bacteria
About the same. Have you done the specimen paper?

Yeah I think i got 75 or something for that, it was okay, you?
Original post by Waqar Y
Was the one where you had to compare PCR to in vivo something to do with bacteria

oh yeah that one! That was a such a stupid qs with a stupid markscheme which isnt in our spec at all! It contradicted both ideas but surely it wont be tested again considering it was recent? :s-smilie: but I dont know
Reply 1411
Original post by Waqar Y
Erm, shows how human activity affected the habitats on the island.

increase in people going as tourists, led to the increase of buildings > which led to the destruction of habitats and also the loss of biodiversity.

increase in people = increase in pollution which also decreased biodiversity of habitats due to waste being dumped.

also, hunting for giant sea tortioise populations also led to giant sea tortoise population falling as well.

erm, what else - introduction of non native species, e.g goat led to interspecific competition between goat and giant tortoise, which was outcompeted

Okay great :smile:

plant responses/hormones/auxin..

anything.

don't have a clue about this unit
Original post by heartskippedabeat
I only need a C in Biology to get into mine :biggrin:
Although the way f214 went and the way revision's going for this module... :s-smilie:
I'm aiming for a B though. How about you?

same I need a C as well to get into king... If I dont get that C im ****ed coz that's my only offer
Reply 1413
No point of us lots even guessing whats going to come up, OCR always likes to surprise us :frown:
Original post by greenford
same I need a C as well to get into king... If I dont get that C im ****ed coz that's my only offer

Ahh good luck I'm sure you'll get it :biggrin:
What do you want to do in uni?
Reply 1415
Original post by kabolin
heat the dna to 95 degrees to break hydrogen bonds between complementary bases to produce to single strands of dna.
cool to 55 degrees to allow primers to complementary base pair with the 3' and 5' end. this allows dna polymerase to now bind onto the primers.
heat to 72degrees(optimum temp for dna polymerase) it can now form hydrogen bonds with complementary bases on each single stranded dna.
the enzyme is thermophillic.
you now have 2 copies of the same dna. this process may be repeated.

:smile: yayy....

use of genetic markers in plasmids?
Reply 1416

You've got it easy mate. I have one offer for AAA, no back up.
Anyone got any good predictions?
Original post by heartskippedabeat
ahh good luck i'm sure you'll get it :d
what do you want to do in uni?

med :d:d:d:d:d:d
med :d:d:d:d:d:d

Aw good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending