The Student Room Group

F215 - Revision thread 13th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Original post by jakehartley123
Do we need to know all about the experimental evidence of auxins and gibberellins in apical dominance and stem growth? Or just a general idea of what apical dominance is?

We need to know the possible causes of apical dominance (auxin, abscisic acid and cytokines) and the links between them
Reply 1461
Original post by yesioo
I think this paper is going to be mostly animal + plant responses?

Yup, still a lot not been tested especially the sliding filament model. A lot of Cloning I think too! 5.2.1 of the specification has barely been touched on!
Original post by lmfw
Yup, still a lot not been tested especially the sliding filament model. A lot of Cloning I think too! 5.2.1 of the specification has barely been touched on!

As long as you know the entire specification well,...you should be able to answer almost any question....they can and will repeat questions which candidates found difficult...they do that in maths quite often hmmm
Original post by DontPropositionMe
So to get all 150 ums points, you have to get 87/100?

SO confused now because our school forced us to do this exam in Jan without teaching us much and most people got a C which was 100/150 ums points. Is that roughly correct? :s-smilie:

I assure you that you will not get full UMS in this paper. That is all.
Original post by entertheOJI
I assure you that you will not get full UMS in this paper. That is all.

How come?

I need to get it meh since my offer depends on it. I've done it for other papers/exams :s-smilie:
All the different procedures on Gene Technology are starting to get on top of me. There's still a large chunk of it that they have missed out on the last two exam papers, so, I'm screwed. :confused:
Original post by intellectual1
We're just 48 hours away from this exam!

Please don't say that :emo:
Reply 1467
Can someone please explain to me the differences between Selective breeding and genetic engineering ?? Thanks.
Original post by Kidms001
Please don't say that :emo:

46 hours to go now....its the final count down to the exam that'll make the difference between 9k top up fees or 27k top up fees...

i must say i've learnt more in the last few hours than in the last few weeks...strange what pressure can do to some individuals :smile:
Reply 1469
Feeling optimistic,
January 2011 raw marks for an A - 60!
Now I'm going to do the january 2011, and if i get below 60 I'll poo myself.
Because I need an A :frown:

Less essay answers and more 1-3 markers please OCR!!!! :biggrin:
Questions like..........
"Where does transcription take place? [1]" - ideal.

How synoptic can they get by the way people?
I did a practice one asking me if the molecule was alpha or beta glucose i was like WHOAH UNIT 1 ALERT!
Original post by intellectual1
46 hours to go now....its the final count down to the exam that'll make the difference between 9k top up fees or 27k top up fees...

i must say i've learnt more in the last few hours than in the last few weeks...strange what pressure can do to some individuals :smile:

Speak for yourself.. My course is 4 years :lolwut:

I agree with the learning aspect though. Mind you, I've learnt more off this thread over the last few days than I have from the textbook over the rest of the year :rofl:
Original post by ngarner92
All the different procedures on Gene Technology are starting to get on top of me. There's still a large chunk of it that they have missed out on the last two exam papers, so, I'm screwed. :confused:

There's sure to be a big question on Gene Technologies no doubt about that...Jan11 did'nt have much content at all from Module 1...

Mutations?
Lac operon has come up...
Drosophilia is in the Philipallan Revision guide for F215 hmmm
Apoptosis - cell signalling maintains a crucial role... links in with F211 and F214 synoptic

Meiosis - huge topic...there was a question in Jan11 on the stages...

Genetic diagrams...has'nt come up yet has it? :confused:

Gene loci?

What about Natural and Artificial Selection?

Genomes and Gene Technologies....alot of this could come up...it is a central topic to this unit...Cloning as mentioned by heartskippedabeat has'nt been tested yet at all...

Conservation links with Biodiversity...there was a big question on CITES and related content in F212...

Plant growth and plant hormones has'nt come up yet...it was all the brain nerves content...knowing how F211 Jan 11 caused a shock for some who had'nt revised Plants at all...it could come up as the examiners are aware that candidates did'nt expect the Plant content....

Quite a big unit...but remember this Unit will make or break your future! :smile: Revise well and good luck...as long as you have done the Specimen, Jun10, Jan11 and know the book well it should be good...as it is just 60 marks out of 100 marks that will gain you the A...and even if you drop alot of marks...37marks was required to pass...just 6 marks differentiates between each grade!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ro27
Feeling optimistic,
January 2011 raw marks for an A - 60!
Now I'm going to do the january 2011, and if i get below 60 I'll poo myself.
Because I need an A :frown:

Less essay answers and more 1-3 markers please OCR!!!! :biggrin:
Questions like..........
"Where does transcription take place? [1]" - ideal.

How synoptic can they get by the way people?
I did a practice one asking me if the molecule was alpha or beta glucose i was like WHOAH UNIT 1 ALERT!

20% of all questions in the exam are meant to be synoptic.
Can someone please clear this up for me, i'm getting baffled.
What's cytokinins?
And is abscisic acid one of the hormones involved in leaf abscission or cytokinins?
Original post by hellosarah
Can someone please clear this up for me, i'm getting baffled.
What's cytokinins?
And is abscisic acid one of the hormones involved in leaf abscission or cytokinins?

No abscisic acid isn't involved in leaf abscission its been named incorrectly as they thought it was originally - its actually involved in inhibiting seed germination and growth - and causes stomatal closure when there isn't enough water in teh plant.

Cytokinins prevent leaf abscission so if the concentration drops then the leave will break off.

Cytokinins themselves are plant growth hormones - used to prevent leaf senescence (ageing)
Reply 1475
Original post by heartskippedabeat
Haha yeah, poor RNA polymerase has a right to bind to it and we have a moral responsibility to let it do so....

Hahaha :biggrin:

Cracked me up!
Thank you soo much!!
So we don't need to know about Abscisic acid at all then?
Thank you soo much!!

Just know what it does :smile: but not specific examples no
Reply 1478
Thank you soo much!!

You need to know about how the concentrations of abscisic acid that may be a factor in apical dominance (page 224 heineman book)
Original post by Rosi M
Hahaha :biggrin:

Cracked me up!

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending