Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    A subset of all the genes present within an individual organism.
    thank you now all this genome sequencing stuff makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidms001)
    What sort of scores are people hitting on the past papers?
    Like 65 out of 100, and I need a B to get into Uni. Know that some of the grade boundaries are low though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jak67m)
    thank you now all this genome sequencing stuff makes sense
    Start with how the sequencing of genome takes place.It's very easy not that technical =]

ReputationRep:
    I have NOT revised enough
    I feel like giving up! eeek!

Can someone explain cloning of animals? I wasn't in for that bit: just come across it in the book: excuse me while I throw myself off a bridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kej817)
    How much detail are people learning for spread 2.1.20. The specification says 'Explain the significance of the various concepts of the species with reference to the biological concept and the phylogentic species concept'
    What exactly is the significance?
    Biological concept is another way of descring species which share similar anatomy,physiology,biochemisty and are able to interbreed together to make fertile offsrpings on the other hand phylogenic concept tends to take evolution into consideration i.e how closely related species are to each other though there may/may not be a barrier in between them.
    Also organisms which reproduce asexually are ignored/can't be defined in the 'biological concept',overall biological concept limits naming of species =]

ReputationRep:
    omg r we expected to know the animal kingdom stuff?? i.e phylem, animalia??...i dont know any of that????????????...i cant store any more info in my head!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daddeee)

Can someone explain cloning of animals? I wasn't in for that bit: just come across it in the book: excuse me while I throw myself off a bridge
    As far as I can recall all you need to know is the following: Artifical insemintiation in which a bull is selected for a certain desirable trait which it exhibits,it's semen is then extracted and infused to cows with again desirable trait but prior to the extraction progeny testing is done where the daughter of the bull are checked for their productivity (this takes time,hence why A.I is good since the sperm can be stored).

The other one is Embryo transplantation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daddeee)

Nor have I
    Don't give up, just keep going, you've still got time

Do you have the CGP book? It explains it pretty well in there.

Basically to clone animals you use reproductive cloning which is used to make a complete organism that's genetically identical to another organism.
    Cloned animals can be used for research purposes because they will all be genetically identical, so the results are more reliable.
    Cloning can also be used to save endangered animals from extinction, or by farmers to increase the number of animals who have desirable characteristics to breed from.

Reproductive cloning (and non-reproductive) is carried out using nuclear transfer:
    - A body cell is taken from Animal A and the nucleus is extracted and kept.
    - An egg cells is taken from Animal B (of the same species). It's nucleus is removed to form an enucleated egg cell.
    -The nucleus from Animal A is inserted into the enucleated egg cell from Animal B. So, the egg cell from Animal B now contains the genetic information from Animal A.
    - The egg cell is stimulated to divide and an embryo is formed.
    - The embryo is implanted into a surrogate mother, and an offspring is produced that's a genetically identical copy of Animal A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aquarius00)
    omg r we expected to know the animal kingdom stuff?? i.e phylem, animalia??...i dont know any of that????????????...i cant store any more info in my head!!!
    No,That's was in AS.What you do need to know are:
    Genetic drift,types of barriers,bio/phylo species concept,variation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    Does anyone know if the method for genetically engineering microorganisms has come up? I can't remember seeing it but just wanted to check
    Hope it doesn't come up
    I sat both exams ,june and jan hm...
    Something to do with transgenic plasmid certainly did come up (cows and stuff)
    oh yea lactose gene replication...it carried heavy marks.

ReputationRep:
    how do you know the degrees of freedom again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    Does anyone know if the method for genetically engineering microorganisms has come up? I can't remember seeing it but just wanted to check
    Hope it doesn't come up
    genetic engineering came up last year in june

ReputationRep:
    Describe how artificial selection has been used to produce bread wheat?
    How many marks do you think this could be worth? I don't know how much detail to learn >.<

ReputationRep:

(Original post by sillysal)
    genetic engineering came up last year in june
    Ahh okay, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontPropositionMe)
    What was the answer for the rennin one?

Does anyone know a good limerick/mnemonic for the nervous system?

Nervous system
    Central Nervous System
    Peripheral Nervous System
    Somatic Nervous System
    Autonomic Nervous System
    Sympathetic Nervous System
    Parasympathetic Nervous System

Ive made some for meoisis and animal kingdoms but im stuck on this one
    Nervous Crammers Pass Successfully After Severe Procrastination lol?

ReputationRep:
    Hey dude, considering you've done the exam, can you tell me the brief order of genome sequencing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebeccalouise_92)
    how do you know the degrees of freedom again?
    To work out the number of degrees of freedom for the chi squared test

number of catagories- 1

ReputationRep:
    Didnt you go onto Uni? Or did you retake the year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atman7)
    no problem oh a bit i forgot to add a about cDNA in the Genetic Engineering Insulin part so just note that in somewhere
    where do i find all the downloads? i don't know where its saved it into :P i had one word up then just finished reading all of it taking it it, but idk where the rest has saved hahA! :s

ReputationRep:
    ok so confused again... book sez this

Genomes are mapped to identify which part of the genome that they come from. Information that
    is already known is used, such as the location of microsatellites
    Samples of the genome are mechanically sheared into smaller sections of around 100,000 base
    pairs
    These sections are places in separate Bacterial Artificial Chromosomes (BACs) and transferred to E.
    coli cells. As the cells are grown in culture, many copies of the sections are produced- referred to as
    Clone Libraries

I just dont understand it.... like "Genomes are mapped to identify which part of the genome that they come from."
    everything is confusing me

can anyone just tell me in a simple way with all the key terms PLEASEE!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.