Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please suggest to me which revision guide should I get? The OCR endorsed one of CGP? I need to order it by tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportycricketer)
    Can anyone please suggest to me which revision guide should I get? The OCR endorsed one of CGP? I need to order it by tomorrow!
    I didn't revise through any revision books,have you got the book by Mary Jones ?

I found it well structured =]

ReputationRep:
    Okay, how did passing on advice from my teacher deserve a neg? People seem to be compulsively negging people on this thread.

(Original post by sportycricketer)
    I use the OCR one - but not very often really. Everywhere I look seems to have slightly different information. My class notes have bits the textbook doesn't have, and the revision guide throws up new stuff again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    Okay, how did passing on advice from my teacher deserve a neg? People seem to be compulsively negging people on this thread.

I use the OCR one - but not very often really. Everywhere I look seems to have slightly different information. My class notes have bits the textbook doesn't have, and the revision guide throws up new stuff again
    I know!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I was wondering if we needed to know how to investigate the role of auxins in apical dominance and the role of gibberelins in stem elongation? As in be able to explain how to carry out the investigation? Or do we simply need to evaluate results they give us? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by India27)
    Hey guys! I was wondering if we needed to know how to investigate the role of auxins in apical dominance and the role of gibberelins in stem elongation? As in be able to explain how to carry out the investigation? Or do we simply need to evaluate results they give us? Thanks!
    I'd say that you should know how the basic method to carry out in an investigation, but any question they would give to evaluate would obviously include a method :P.

ReputationRep:
    The one bit on the sylabus I really dont understant is homeobox genes! can anyone help!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benollar)
    The one bit on the sylabus I really dont understant is homeobox genes! can anyone help!?
    You don't need to know much about them:
    • the fact they determine the gene body plan of an organism
    • determine the body's polarity i.e. anterior and posterior
    • insects have segmentation genes for diff segments
    • homeobox genes may also be affected by mutations
    • Another name for them is Hox Clusters
    • Retinoic Acid activates homeobox genes in vertebrates

Thats basically it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontPropositionMe)
    Hey guys....PUTTING THIS IN BIG FONT SO YOU GUYS CAN SEE.

I was doing some revision today for F215 and I found a MASSIVE pack of past papers and markschemes in my old bag. Like I have 50+ questions on application of genetics alone, all the past papers from 2002-2010 and about 60+ questions on central concepts 2006-2009

I want to share them since I've had a lot of help from TSR but I dont know how! How do I transfer stuff from a booklet to TSR? I'm not very techy sorry!

Scan them if you have the time (and a scanner).

This new syllabus is really irritating in the respect that they have seemed to take the old one and jumble it up for no justifiable reason. The style of questioning isn't even that different.

I'm spending more time at the moment finding the relevant questions than doing actual past paper questions.

ReputationRep:
    Can some people tell me where they find the time to revise for this when there is so many other exams to be revising for? Seriously I have done nearly zilch on f215! Please help -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    Can some people tell me where they find the time to revise for this when there is so many other exams to be revising for? Seriously I have done nearly zilch on f215! Please help -_-
    Revision timetable. Make it and stick to it!!!!
    Otherwise you'll end up focusing on one or two things too much and hardly focusing on other things..
    Some people like to divide their time depending on the grades they need,
    But I divide my time equally to make sure ALL course content is covered across the board.
    Try and find out what works best for you and QUICK, time is running out for this exam.
    Damnit. Wish we had another month!

Someone please take me through:
    1. The power stroke. Does tropomyosin block the actin-myosin cross bridge from forming?
    2. An easy way to remember commercial uses of plant hormones
    3. The experimental evidence of the action of auxins/giberellins? I find myself not understanding this time and time again lol

Sorry if these are dumb things, but I usually find TSR explanations more useful than internet/teachers LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ro27)
    1. The power stroke. Does tropomyosin block the actin-myosin cross bridge from forming?
    3. The experimental evidence of the action of auxins/giberellins? I find myself not understanding this time and time again lol
    1. Yes it is and (you may already know this) troponin is on the actin and troponin has the binding site for the Ca2+ ions (relating to the muscle contraction)

2. I just remember a few of them tbh, as there is no easy way to remember them:
    Auxin - delay fruit drop
    - promote flowering
    - seedless fruits
    Gibss - delay fruit drop
    - seed germination
    - sugar production
    Cytokinins (I just refer back to the fact that it inhibits abscission)
    - provides good supply of nutrients and therefore doesn't allow the lettuce to turn yellow
    Ethene - Promote Fruit drop
    - Fruit Ripening

3. Apical Dominance means that as long as the apex is present of the plant, there would be no side shoot growth as it continuously produces Auxin. BUT this can be overtaken by the cytokinins in the plants. Cytokinins override the apex affect and goes to the apex itself to grow the shoot.
    For Gibberellins we just need to know that it promotes cell elongation and thats just by making the plants release the enzyme which releases Le allele converting GA20 to GA1 (therefore encouraging stem elongation)

Hope this helps and I didn't confuse you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ro27)
    Revision timetable. Make it and stick to it!!!!
    Otherwise you'll end up focusing on one or two things too much and hardly focusing on other things..
    Some people like to divide their time depending on the grades they need,
    But I divide my time equally to make sure ALL course content is covered across the board.
    Try and find out what works best for you and QUICK, time is running out for this exam.
    Damnit. Wish we had another month!

Sorry if these are dumb things, but I usually find TSR explanations more useful than internet/teachers LOL
    1) tropomyosin blocks the action-myosin binding site, which means it blocks the cross-bridge from forming? i think

2) auxins - prevent fruit drop or can even cause fruit drop if a high concentration is applied at a late stage.
    auxins also make fruit develop without fertilisation e.g seedless grapes
    auxins - can encourage root growth, so can be used as root hormone
    auxins - can be used as a herbicide since it causes stem elongation > grow fast can't get water bam they're dead

gibberlennins - sugar cane production, large harvesting etcetc

ethene - rippening of fruit

3) no clue

ReputationRep:
    can any one take my through the sliding filament model?
    Difficult.

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain the difference between improving reliability and improving accuracy in an experiment, with clear examples please? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    Difficult.
    Well basically when a muscle contracts this pulls the actin filaments in between the mysoin causing the sarcomere to shorten. As the sarcomere shortens this causes the whole myofibril (makes up the muscle cells) to contract. That is what you was talking about weren't it? If so then that's all you need to know really. Also, I think the H band shortens and the I and A bands stay the same! Correct me if I'm wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    Well basically when a muscle contracts this pulls the actin filaments in between the mysoin causing the sarcomere to shorten. As the sarcomere shortens this causes the whole myofibril (makes up the muscle cells) to contract. That is what you was talking about weren't it? If so then that's all you need to know really. Also, I think the H band shortens and the I and A bands stay the same! Correct me if I'm wrong!
    When muscles contract;
    -the sarcomere shortens,
    -the H-Zone shortens,
    -the I-band shortens, and
    -the A band stays the SAME length

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    Difficult.
    Have a look on youtube - there are some good videos there I think this sort of thing needs to have diagrams or animations or something really :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by India27)
    When muscles contract;
    -the sarcomere shortens,
    -the H-Zone shortens,
    -the I-band shortens, and
    -the A band stays the SAME length
    Yep thought it was something like that thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can some1 post jan 2011 f214 and f215 paper please =)?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.