Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I Hope Transcription and Translation , Epistasis , PCR, Learned and Innate behaviour and some things on Recombinant dna and restriction enzymes that type of thing comes up.

I do not want Succession to come up, Or the Nitrogen cycle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jaz-)
    Thigmotropism is when a plant grows around another plant/stick, using it for support. So basically its tropism is "around the other structure"

Make sense?
    A bit, the book mentions wind, it it to avoid it being bent by wind?

Thx Btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    Galapagos is pretty easy i think, it's kind of just common sense as long as you remember a few of the animals and a few key words
    I know I did the june 2010 a couple of days ago and got 58 :/ don't even want to attempt the jan one haha. what grade do you need/want in this exam?
    ah right. i've also got a maths exam i'm supposed to be revising for on the monday...bio has took over! ha, i need to get a B overall, i'm on a B atm but not sure what i need to get in this particular exam! yourself?

ReputationRep:
    how to people work put what they need to get an A overall ?

ReputationRep:
    can someone please remind me what source and sink are from AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786girl)
    do you know what ur on atm? its out of 600 and youll need 80 per cent overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786girl)
    You work out how much UMS you got for your previous papers and how far that leaves you from 480/600 UMS total (80%). Your results you got on results days in the past should all have the UMS score on them.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deyn_08)
    A bit, the book mentions wind, it it to avoid it being bent by wind?

Thx Btw
    The only mention of wind I remember is wind acting as a mechanical force to break off a leaf which has formed an abscission layer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke0011)
    Hey everyone! How's all your revision going?

My perfect exam paper would be:
    massive questions on transcription/translation
    big question on sliding filament model
    Big question on lac operon :P
    A genetic question, with a hardy-weinberg or chi squared thrown in
    PCR question,
    Artificial cloning and plant cloning
    Incorporating a gene into a bacterial plasmid etc
    NONE OF MODULE 3 haha
    and a bit about behaviour!

I would be so happy if that all came up ;D
    I agree with you on everything except big question on sliding filament ( id reckon id only pick up hjalf marks ) .. and hardy weinberg .. everything else will be good And throw in Epistasis and a question on mutation e.g frameshift , insertion e.tc in place of sliding filament

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanW92)
    What do we think the odds are for a Hardy-Weinberg principle question? How would they format the question? My guess would be that they would give us the p and q values and it would be a similar set up to the chi-squared questions.
    From all the questions i've done you're usually given sample size, and the percentage/number of homozygous recessive individuals, so q^2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebeccalouise_92)
    ah right. i've also got a maths exam i'm supposed to be revising for on the monday...bio has took over! ha, i need to get a B overall, i'm on a B atm but not sure what i need to get in this particular exam! yourself?
    haha, aw maths isn't too bad though, at least there's not loads to remember, it's just doing past papers. yeah this modules taken over everything, i havent revised anything else yet
    ahh ok, good luck! im sure youll get it. if youve already on a b you shouldnt need too much in this exam to still come out with one overall
    im on a B for as but i got a U in jan i want a B overall but i only need a C to get into uni so i need about 70/75 ums in this exam if i dont go up in f214

ReputationRep:
    Question for you guys ! compare selective breeding with the evolutionary process (8marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mobs25)
    i doubt she wrote or helped write the exam for ocr as from what i know,
    if a teacher teaches and writes the exam they cannot teach that exam boards specification. It would be very easy to cheat then.

But i do agree to some extent, i think that homeobox and apoptosis will come up. along with meiosis.
    ok but she was away from feb-may for exam board reasons.... and i dont know why she (and my other teachers) would lie in saying she writes them... if anything she isnt specific on anything i found her a really **** teacher
    #

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tesha_al)
    Question for you guys ! compare selective breeding with the evolutionary process (8marks)
    Selective breeding and evolution by natural selection both change the allele frequencies in the next generation, so the alleles that code for the beneficial or desirable characteristic will be passed on to offspring and become more common in the next generation. If a random mutation produces an allele that is beneficial or desirable, it will be selected for it the next generation, either because it increases the organism's chance of survival, or because it is useful to humans.

However, in natural selection, the organisms that reproduce are selected for by the environment, whereas in selective breeding this is carried out by humans. Natural selection gives an unpredictable result, but artificial selection aims for predetermined results. Natural selection makes the species better adapted to the environment therefore increasing it's chances of survival, reproduction, and passing on the advantageous allele to the next generation. Artificial selection however, does not benefit the organism, it just makes it more useful to humans.

It's not very detailed :/ Do you think that's okay?

ReputationRep:
    Hey could someone please clarify if in the heinemann book 2.2 spread 6, we need to know that stuff in the table about asepsis techniques,
    thankx!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sickofexamz)
    Hey could someone please clarify if in the heinemann book 2.2 spread 6, we need to know that stuff in the table about asepsis techniques,
    thankx!
    yeh we do need to know it, i'll give u an outline:

asepsis is the absence of unwanted microorganisms. If unwanted microorganisms are in the culture, they can cause contamination, giving inaccurate results

aeptic techiniques to make sure these unwanted microorganisms dont invade, in the starter culture level are:
    - apparatus should be sterilised, killing off unwanted microorganisms. can be done by using an autoclave or UV light
    - Laminar flow cabinet - air circulation can get rid of contaminants in the air
    - cultures can be kept closed away from the bench as the becnh may microorganisms on them

aseptic techiniques at a large scale culture level include:
    - washing fermenter pipes
    - using fermenter surfaces that are made out of stainless steel so that contaminants don't stick to the surface
    - sterilising the medium that the bacteria grow on, to stop microorganisms getting in there in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillysal)
    yeh we do need to know it, i'll give u an outline:

asepsis is the absence of unwanted microorganisms. If unwanted microorganisms are in the culture, they can cause contamination, giving inaccurate results

aeptic techiniques to make sure these unwanted microorganisms dont invade, in the starter culture level are:
    - apparatus should be sterilised, killing off unwanted microorganisms. can be done by using an autoclave or UV light
    - Laminar flow cabinet - air circulation can get rid of contaminants in the air
    - cultures can be kept closed away from the bench as the becnh may microorganisms on them

aseptic techiniques at a large scale culture level include:
    - washing fermenter pipes
    - using fermenter surfaces that are made out of stainless steel so that contaminants don't stick to the surface

- sterilising the medium that the bacteria grow on, to stop microorganisms getting in there in the first place

Ok thank you for the info!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sickofexamz)
    Ok thank you for the info!
    Be careful it's not stated that you actually need to know the techniques so don't waste your time Learning them!
    You need to be able to state the importance of the techniques themselves I.e if unwanted microbes are present they will compete for space and food so reduce the yield - and may also synthesise toxic products which would mean the batch had to be thrown away!

The table is not required by any standards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    haha, aw maths isn't too bad though, at least there's not loads to remember, it's just doing past papers. yeah this modules taken over everything, i havent revised anything else yet
    ahh ok, good luck! im sure youll get it. if youve already on a b you shouldnt need too much in this exam to still come out with one overall
    im on a B for as but i got a U in jan i want a B overall but i only need a C to get into uni so i need about 70/75 ums in this exam if i dont go up in f214
    ahh i see, aww im sure u will go up! and it will be good revision for this course seeing as its synaptic? synoptic...or whatever the word is that means they can test us on previously learnt things! have you alraedy done the resit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitarmike456)
    Be careful it's not stated that you actually need to know the techniques so don't waste your time Learning them!
    You need to be able to state the importance of the techniques themselves I.e if unwanted microbes are present they will compete for space and food so reduce the yield - and may also synthesise toxic products which would mean the batch had to be thrown away!

The table is not required by any standards!
    Right yea actually this is what i thought cause the techniques are not stated in the spec, but wont bother now. I was just about to learn them,
    thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.